IW STi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So- I was slick and stripped not one, but two bolts (the threads in the hole, not the bolt itself) while installing the Whiteline steering rack bushings on my 05 STi.

I think I am going to go the Helicoil route to fix the threads. Anyone know what size the bolts are that secure the 2 driver side bushings? The long two that are closest to the driver side, the two that go through the bushings.

Please, someone know this. I do not want to try and back out the bolts, as they are in right now and locktite'd. I am afraid that if I take them out again, I woun't get them in.

This is my DD, so downtime is not possible.

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Unsure of the size . However you also have the option of tapping the threads to the next size and using larger diameter bolts. Just my .02 worth. Might be quicker than Helicoil and cheaper too.

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i could. i am afraid that the next size up bolt will not make it through the bushing sleeve.

anyone know if it is fine or coarse thread? the helicoil comes in a master set, coarse or fine threaded metric. i figure that throughout my time with this car, i will strip 5 threads, which will make it cheaper to get the set rather than the single-size.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
I recall them being fine thread. Helicoil set is always a good thing to have laying around.

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah- i think i will go to the auto parts store tomorrow and look at some bolts. maybe i can remember.

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well, i found a helicoil kit locally and tried it out.

it was quite a ***** tapping new holes, but i got it done.

when inserting the helicoil, the coil would not go in all the way. 3-4 of the 8 or 9 threads of it were still outside the hole.

after breaking 2 of the 4, i got the two in as far as i could. i tightened the bolts down and it was OK. nothing spectacular, but they were somewhat tight. i will drive with them this wat this week, lets hope they hold.

anyone have any tips on inserting the coil into the tapped hole?

yeah- don't put them in upside down moron. the bent part goes in first, so when you twist them in, they do NOT want to un coil. this guy must be an idiot, and here i thought he was smart.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The same things actually just happened to me. When you said that it was "nothing spectacular", what do you mean? Are the threads stronger, weaker, looser with the helicoils. Will they take ~40 ft-lbs? I'm just trying to see if I should go the helicoil route as well. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
helicoil CLAIMS that the helicoiled screws are stronger than non-helicoiled. they felt a bit looser threading.

they will most likely hold 40ft-lbs. i didn't torque them with a torque wrench, but they did get nice and tight. for good measure, i used a good amount of blue loctite.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It being Labor Day weekend, most stores were closed including NAPA so I went to Ace Hardware to try and track down a thread insert kit. Found one at my local Ace by Chislynn (10X1.25). Not exactly Helicoil (Heli-Coil), I wonder if it is the same thing. It is made of an 18-8 stainless steel wire that is diamond shaped. Also, purchased the Permatex automotive grade blue threadlock.

Hope this works...

Did you drill with the bushing in place or did you disassemble the whole thing and then put the thread insert in?

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I did this with one of these rack bushing bolts on my 04.

It was hard to get started but we just got a lock nut on the back side and it's held perfectly for 20,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i left the top bushing in, but pulled out the bottom bushing and the cylinder that connected the two.

you drill out the old threads. (make sure the drill is smalled that the new threads though). then you tap it, it is not easy. just push hard and work it slowly. insert the insert, install the bushing and cylinder, then put your bolt in.

gotta love 30 minute jobs that become 3 hour jobs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts