IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 653 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless STI: SMY Push Start Review

Random and way old but on the topic of going wingless. Did you buy a WRX trunk from a dealer and have them paint it? I'm looking to go wingless too and would like to know the details of what all exactly you needed to buy. I think I read you just literally need the trunk, can swap over the opener, etc. And then removing one of the torsion bars prevents "deadly trunk launcher?"

·
Registered
892 Posts

Random and way old but on the topic of going wingless. Did you buy a WRX trunk from a dealer and have them paint it? I'm looking to go wingless too and would like to know the details of what all exactly you needed to buy. I think I read you just literally need the trunk, can swap over the opener, etc. And then removing one of the torsion bars prevents "deadly trunk launcher?"
this popped up on my subscriptions so i'll weigh in as someone that has swapped to wingless. What you say makes sense, but would not be cheap between the trunk, prep/paint, any badging you may want, etc. I see $423 for just the lid. I'd also suggest buying the correct torsion bars instead of just removing one so that you have relatively equal pressure on both arms. you can swap over the hardware, liner, etc

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

this popped up on my subscriptions so i'll weigh in as someone that has swapped to wingless. What you say makes sense, but would not be cheap between the trunk, prep/paint, any badging you may want, etc. I see $423 for just the lid. I'd also suggest buying the correct torsion bars instead of just removing one so that you have relatively equal pressure on both arms. you can swap over the hardware, liner, etc
I bought the lid piece and torsion bars, had the lid painted, and all the hardware/wires/lights/etc switched over.

Strongly suggest getting the correct torsion bars.

It was the very first mod I did, and was not cheap, set me back about $700-$800 if I remember correct. Got most of it back when I sold the STI trunk+spoiler :D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

Great looking car, normally I'm not a fan of black but it is very well kept.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

Great looking car, normally I'm not a fan of black but it is very well kept.
Why thank you :D

And you might not think it is so well kept at this very moment, caked in salt and dirt after a Montreal snow storm. In the summer the clean obp looks so nice. Kills me to not have it clean as f*ck, but whats the point when I get it washed and its dirty again in 30min or less. (I still wash it twice a week in the winter. OCD like that :rex1:)

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)

Ok, so ordered most of my items for the suspension/tire/bushing upgrade in April.

Thank you to T3h_Clap:bow::bow::bow:, you are one very knowledgeable, classy guy to have walked me through what to buy and why, in order to realize a proper suspension/tire upgrade:

Here is what is on its way so far:

-Group N Subaru 6-Speed Transmission Mount
-Group N Subaru Engine Mount Set
-Kartboy Engine Pitch Stop Mount
-Swift Spec-R Springs - 2008-2013 Subaru WRX STi
-Whiteline BSF39XZ 24mm Adjustable Front Sway Bar - 2008-2013 Subaru WRX STi
-Whiteline BSR49XZ 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar - 2008-2013 Subaru WRX STi
-Whiteline KCA409 Front Com C Strut Mounts - 2008-2014 Subaru WRX STi
-Whiteline KDT901 Positive Shift Kit - 2008-2013 Subaru WRX STi

Still debating which endlinks to get (kartboy vs Avo vs Whiteline adjustable)

And the piece de resistance:

-Weds Sa-15r Gunmetal black/bronze 18x9.5 (5x114.3) +38 offset (accompanied by a rolling of the rear fenders) to be paired with potenza re-11 (265/35/18)

Will also probably order the grillcraft lower grill piece, to go with the ht auto sport grill (that will hopefully fit this time), and scoop grill that is already installed.

Might also replace my TWM short throw, since the reverse lock rattle cannot be eliminated (after tries by the dealership, lachute performance, TWM, and myself). It is driving me coco bananas. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

Why thank you :D

And you might not think it is so well kept at this very moment, caked in salt and dirt after a Montreal snow storm. In the summer the clean obp looks so nice. Kills me to not have it clean as f*ck, but whats the point when I get it washed and its dirty again in 30min or less. (I still wash it twice a week in the winter. OCD like that :rex1:)
Haha I know what you mean. When mine gets filthy I tell myself it's not worth all the trouble to clean it up again. Then when it's clean I see how great it looks and I change my tune.

·
Registered
806 Posts

Ok, so ordered most of my items for the suspension/tire/bushing upgrade in April.

Thank you to T3h_Clap:bow::bow::bow:, you are one very knowledgeable, classy guy to have walked me through what to buy and why, in order to realize a proper suspension/tire upgrade:

Here is what is on its way so far:

-Group N Subaru 6-Speed Transmission Mount
-Group N Subaru Engine Mount Set
-Kartboy Engine Pitch Stop Mount
-Swift Spec-R Springs - 2008-2013 Subaru WRX STi
-Whiteline BSF39XZ 24mm Adjustable Front Sway Bar - 2008-2013 Subaru WRX STi
-Whiteline BSR49XZ 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar - 2008-2013 Subaru WRX STi
-Whiteline KCA409 Front Com C Strut Mounts - 2008-2014 Subaru WRX STi
-Whiteline KDT901 Positive Shift Kit - 2008-2013 Subaru WRX STi

Still debating which endlinks to get (kartboy vs Avo vs Whiteline adjustable)

And the piece de resistance:

-Weds Sa-15r Gunmetal black/bronze 18x9.5 (5x114.3) +38 offset (accompanied by a rolling of the rear fenders) to be paired with potenza re-11 (265/35/18)

Image Link

Will also probably order the grillcraft lower grill piece, to go with the ht auto sport grill (that will hopefully fit this time), and scoop grill that is already installed.

Might also replace my TWM short throw, since the reverse lock rattle cannot be eliminated (after tries by the dealership, lachute performance, TWM, and myself). It is driving me coco bananas. :banghead:
Dayumm loll are you trying to copy me?? :D

Feels like you ordered almost the same items than me :eek:

Nice job! :tup:

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

Dayumm loll are you trying to copy me?? :D

Feels like you ordered almost the same items than me :eek:

Nice job! :tup:
What can I say, great minds think alike :D

That, and a lot of those parts seem like the natural progression of things.

How do you like the cobb short throw? Any reverse lock rattle?

The twm is driving me nuts. (That and every other rattle. Gonna do a little project when the weather is nice, take door panels off, and piece behind rear seats, tighten everything and possibly dynamat it.

And have you removed any clear bra stuff yet?

Thinking im gonna redo mine come springtime, wonder how much of a hassle it is. I hear it is very sticky underneath.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless STI: Weds Rims/Suspension/Bushings/Mounts on the

Managed to get the front sport grill on finally, not sure if the hood overhanging the grill is normal though (still need to install the mesh):

Also, will be ordering the Perrin Reverse Lockout Lever, to hopefully get rid of the rattle in my shifter, that I am 99% sure is caused by the reverse lockout pin+ring.

On a side note, TWM has horrible customer service, bought my short throw from the, there has been a rattle since day 1, despite their guarantee that is eliminated the dreaded short throw rattle. Instead of being helpful, they stopped answering question, and denied that there is any possible defect. TWM themselves installed it initially, and tried to fix it to no avail. When following up they essentially told me to piss off. Stay away from TWM, there IS a rattle, despite their bs guarantee.

Their shoddy product has forced me to look into other solutions:

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless STI: Weds Rims/Suspension/Bushings/Mounts on the

New part installed!
It's very noisy, but I guess I'll keep it.
He was born March 16th, has been a very sleepless week lol

Tends to make less noise the more I drive :lol:

Oh, and actual parts starting to arrive.

Excitement levels rising! :D:D:D:D:D

April is going to be a glorious month!

Ordered a few more things:

-kartboy endlinks (front+rear)
-Perrin Reverse Lockout Lever (to fix goddam TWM short throw rattle)
-Grillcraft Front Lower grill

Also considering the HTA front lip and rear diffuser...

·
Registered
806 Posts

What can I say, great minds think alike :D

That, and a lot of those parts seem like the natural progression of things.

How do you like the cobb short throw? Any reverse lock rattle?

The twm is driving me nuts. (That and every other rattle. Gonna do a little project when the weather is nice, take door panels off, and piece behind rear seats, tighten everything and possibly dynamat it.

And have you removed any clear bra stuff yet?

Thinking im gonna redo mine come springtime, wonder how much of a hassle it is. I hear it is very sticky underneath.

Sorry for the late response!! :D

The Cobb STS is very nice. I have never experienced any rattling since since day 1 :confused:.

I have never removed any clear bra yet and I don't plan to do it anytime soon... The Xpel clear bra I got can be buffed like a regular paint, so I detail the car once a year after winter :)

·
Registered
806 Posts

New part installed!
It's very noisy, but I guess I'll keep it.

Image Link

Tends to make less noise the more I drive :lol:

Oh, and actual parts starting to arrive.

Excitement levels rising! :D:D:D:D:D

April is going to be a glorious month!

Image Link

Ordered a few more things:

-kartboy endlinks (front+rear)
-Perrin Reverse Lockout Lever (to fix goddam TWM short throw rattle)
-Grillcraft Front Lower grill

Also considering the HTA front lip and rear diffuser...

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link
Nice!!

I'm not a big fan of HTA, but that's personal preference ;)

Can't wait to received my parts aswell.... It's been almost 3 f*ckin months of waiting because of that stupid DAMD steering wheel :mad:

I'm planning to get an appointment April 28-29 at Lachute Performance for the installation and tuning :banana:

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Congrats Alex :)

Best mod ever ! You now have a partner in crime to share your passion

Careful with the car rides at night though... My son wouldn't sleep ( Tantrum ) without a few pulls and was pissed when going from U/L to E/L :lol:

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

Lol yea the boxer rumble works wonders. Haven't had to deal with the tantrums yet, but car rides clearly do the trick....my son has yet to NOT be asleep while in the car :D

It either puts him to sleep, or he is bored with my low hp.
I better keep modding. ..

·
Registered
593 Posts

Sick build man!!! Definitely go with the HT Autos diffuser. it'll looks vicious with your Q300

·
Registered
855 Posts

Congrats on the baby Alex! I second the vote for the HT Auto Diffuser for the sedans, it looks really good! Love how your progressing with the car so far. Everything if very tasteful and complementary to each other ;)

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #80

Sick build man!!! Definitely go with the HT Autos diffuser. it'll looks vicious with your Q300
Why thank you sir :D

The more I think about the diffuser, the more me thinks I am going to get it, along with the front lip.

Thinking about the exhaust trim pieces as well, although it is difficult to tell from pictures the impact they have on the whole look:

Does it look best with Diffuser alone, or with the exhaust trim? Decisions decisions...

61 - 80 of 653 Posts