IW STi Forum banner

621 - 640 of 653 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Re: Stealth-baru! IAG S2 Tuff | EFR7163 | RCE T2 | HFS-3 Meth --- Sooo many updates

Cheers to that :tup:

If you go with the 2017 you'll keep it stock till the warranty is up right? Lol

Yeah right

In all seriousness, probably a lot of suspension work and a protune.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #622
Re: Stealth-baru! IAG S2 Tuff | EFR7163 | RCE T2 | HFS-3 Meth --- bushing failure

I have been following a build on nasioc from Pet3r. The reason being that he has
virtually the same parts selection, from the efr7163, killerb 2 bold headers, custom
rotated dp/up setup, tmic, etc etc...

pet3r's 2015 STi Launch Edition // EFR7163, IAG Closed Deck - NASIOC

The major difference in his build, is that he decided to push way more psi (28 to my 21).
His build allowed to me a glimpse of what my own tmic efr7163 setup would look like at
higher psi. He does have a flex fuel kit and runs e85.

Mebbe one day, when my current block dies, I'll pick up a closed deck and increase the psi.
I wonder how well my 50/50 meth setup would handle the increased timing/psi; sadly no
e85 where I live.

In other news, my Super Pro Front Control Arm rear Duroball kit took a dump on me.
The bushing popped right out of the sleeve, causing some major noise, and potentially
catastrophic results. Luckily I got it taken care of pretty quickly at Lachute, before anything
happened:

I also completed this year's winterization of the car, with a polish and wax that will
hopefully provide some kinda protection vs the nightmarish Montreal winter. Gotta
love that pinnacle souveran liquid wax. Amazing results everytime.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #623
Re: Stealth-baru! IAG S2 Tuff | EFR7163 | RCE T2 | HFS-3 Meth --- Winter!

Still alive!

Haven't posted in awhile, and the car got a much needed detailing a few days ago.

Car is driving better than ever, with the efr7163, aquamist, and IAG block
putting a smile on my face on a regular basis.
Took a few 4th gear pull logs at the start of the summer, and no
power loss whatsoever :D
Was hoping to put it away for the winter, to avoid all the salt, and the beatdown
that montreal winters inflict upon cars, but it looks like that wont happen.

The up side? I get the drive it in the winter! lol

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Re: Stealth-baru! IAG S2 Tuff | EFR7163 | RCE T2 | HFS-3 Meth --- Winter!

man you STILL haven't taken me for a test drive in that thing since it got the new block!

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
Re: Stealth-baru! IAG S2 Tuff | EFR7163 | RCE T2 | HFS-3 Meth

Car is still active and the engine block is still working great! Coming up on 40k km soon on the forged block/efr 7163 build.

Springtime rapidly approaches, and will be going into summer mode soon; sadly things are delayed as ill be getting shoulder surgery on April 6th, so I will likely have to wait until early May until both arms are working and I can drive stick again.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

Car is still active and the engine block is still working great! Coming up on 40k km soon on the forged block/efr 7163 build.

Springtime rapidly approaches, and will be going into summer mode soon; sadly things are delayed as ill be getting shoulder surgery on April 6th, so I will likely have to wait until early May until both arms are working and I can drive stick again.
Oh no you didn't tell us about the bad shoulder! Hope it heals fast so we can meet up this spring!

Glad the block is still working well...curious how often you get to push the car? Guess I'll experience it soon :D we are due a smoke meat Pete's kind of day!

·
Registered
192 Posts

Glad your block is doing well! Hope your shoulder goes well too!

There has been a trend in my area of stage 2 tuff blocks that are non closed decks failing at around 500-525whp. Wonder if its tuner related or what? Mine has failed as well with 62k on the clock of daily driving. Most of it on a dom1.5 at 27psi and the last 4k with a gtx3576r at 27psi. Both on e85.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #628

Oh no you didn't tell us about the bad shoulder! Hope it heals fast so we can meet up this spring!

Glad the block is still working well...curious how often you get to push the car? Guess I'll experience it soon :D we are due a smoke meat Pete's kind of day!
Indeed we are due! I don't push it often....in the winter.
In the summer, there is wot action on the daily, but i'm never redlining it,
and I'm sure I drive much more tame than all these youngins driving hondas
who rev their engine at me at almost every red light lol.

I look forward to seeing you guys this summer, you and Simon with new rides....Blasphemy!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

Indeed we are due! I don't push it often....in the winter.
In the summer, there is wot action on the daily, but i'm never redlining it,
and I'm sure I drive much more tame than all these youngins driving hondas
who rev their engine at me at almost every red light lol.

I look forward to seeing you guys this summer, you and Simon with new rides....Blasphemy!
Montreal has constant youngn's in crappy ass cars driving like complete idiots. Do they feel cool? cuz they sure don,t look cool, lol. Maybe someone should tell them.

yes we are blasphemous! definitely look forward to some hangout time - We need to do another BBQ!

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #630

Glad your block is doing well! Hope your shoulder goes well too!

There has been a trend in my area of stage 2 tuff blocks that are non closed decks failing at around 500-525whp. Wonder if its tuner related or what? Mine has failed as well with 62k on the clock of daily driving. Most of it on a dom1.5 at 27psi and the last 4k with a gtx3576r at 27psi. Both on e85.

Thnx for the well wishes and the feedback...

Scary to hear that some of the same blocks as mine have been 'sploding.

I wager it must be tune related; My car pushes only 21psi, with 50/50 meth and 94 octane.

My tuner was VERY reluctant to push anything past 21psi, even with meth. I remember him
mentioning that even at 22 or 23psi, there where hints of knock, and that it wasn't worth it to push past 21 psi with my efr7163, if I intended the car to be a DD.

I know that you can push more psi with e85, but I guess the 'conservative' tune I'm running has at least allowed my to squeeze some more life of out this block.

·
Registered
192 Posts

I wager it must be tune related; My car pushes only 21psi, with 50/50 meth and 94 octane.

My tuner was VERY reluctant to push anything past 21psi, even with meth. I remember him
mentioning that even at 22 or 23psi, there where hints of knock, and that it wasn't worth it to push past 21 psi with my efr7163, if I intended the car to be a DD.

I know that you can push more psi with e85, but I guess the 'conservative' tune I'm running has at least allowed my to squeeze some more life of out this block.
My motor has been e85 since i broke it in. She did well for a long time but im thinking that it just wasnt up to the task of anything above 520whp/wtq. My tuner has a very good track record with anything from b16 civics to 800whp 2jz's and a few high hp gtrs. I daily drove mine for 3 years with that iag s2 tuff at 28psi on e85. At first with a dom 1.5 then a gtx3576r.

But i also know that iag rated this block to 675bhp so that would be correct.

·
Registered
984 Posts

I never read into the "oh no, x amount of people have had their engines fail" without any hard concrete data and some statistical analysis its all anecdotal evidence.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #633

My motor has been e85 since i broke it in. She did well for a long time but im thinking that it just wasnt up to the task of anything above 520whp/wtq. My tuner has a very good track record with anything from b16 civics to 800whp 2jz's and a few high hp gtrs. I daily drove mine for 3 years with that iag s2 tuff at 28psi on e85. At first with a dom 1.5 then a gtx3576r.

But i also know that iag rated this block to 675bhp so that would be correct.

3 years at that power lvl is pretty impressive, on any block. I think for my next block ill go for a closed deck, just for the Xtra insurance.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #634
I never read into the "oh no, x amount of people have had their engines fail" without any hard concrete data and some statistical analysis its all anecdotal evidence.
True, and besides, I stand by the block. Has served me pretty well so far. Watch it fail on me tomorrow now lol

·
Registered
984 Posts

i mean I didnt even measure anything when i slapped my shortblock together. and its going on 20k miles, 2 years and lots of WOT pulls with stock and bigger turbo. I'm almost done wrapping up my 7163 install and should be able to fire it up this weekend

was this smart? hell no. i had no idea what I was doing. but its still going strong

·
Registered
192 Posts

i mean I didnt even measure anything when i slapped my shortblock together. and its going on 20k miles, 2 years and lots of WOT pulls with stock and bigger turbo. I'm almost done wrapping up my 7163 install and should be able to fire it up this weekend

was this smart? hell no. i had no idea what I was doing. but its still going strong
I beat the bag out of my motor. Put 16k to 20k a year on it and drove it soley on the high boost map. I redline this car atleast 3 to 6 times a day. but for sure this is just anecdotal input from me. It gave out the instant we went for 520 to 540 whp at 29psi for the last 4k of its life.

Hence why i went with element tuning and their long block because they structure their pro comp engine on the years of r&d on track.

·
Registered
192 Posts

How did you note signs of fatigue?
Driving wise it was down on power and burning some oil. the car also ran hotter, It also had high crank case pressure, with occasional knock in new spots. We did a compressions and leak down, then pulled the heads. Found wear on the rings and walls of cyl 1 and 4. My fingernail was actually catching the cyl walls when i ran my nail around the suface area.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

621 - 640 of 653 Posts