IW STi Forum banner

221 - 240 of 653 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless "family sedan": Back from hiatus!

Oh, I'll definitely be taking some pics and doing write-up of the sound deadening install in my SQ SQL system build thread :D

this should be a fun project for Alex and I to do together :p can't wait until we get the stuff!

As for brake pads, I have heard good things about Project Mu pads. Alex I would contact Jake at JSautodesigns for a quote on those. He is quite knowledgeable on pads as well. And I don't think you track much anyway.

·
Registered
806 Posts

The HPS aren't cut out to handle much more than street driving. If you do any hard runs or autox they wont hold up to the heat with our heavier cars.

I run the Ferodo DS2500 with great success, also have had the Project Mu B-Force which did alright they didn't fall off at autox but I wouldn't trust them on a track day.

The DS2500 can handle track duty assuming you're not going 9/10ths every braking zone.
Any opinion on the Cosworth Trackmaster/streetmaster pads? I was considering them or the DS2500 but I guess you just made up my mind :)

Edit: Sorry for the hijacking Alex :D Oh and BTW grats on the wedding, I guess it was a blast :tup:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

Any opinion on the Cosworth Trackmaster/streetmaster pads? I was considering them or the DS2500 but I guess you just made up my mind :)
just FYI, Subie_PB and I discussed brake pads last time we had coffee and he informed me that his were done after like one track day or something. Good for autocross or light track but the way he drives at the track he said they were not sufficient. Just sharing what he told me!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless "family sedan": Tracking my Old man's AMG

Has been awhile since any update; have been busy.
Got married a couple weeks ago, and between work,
and my 6month old son, life has been busy.

Finally things have settled and my attention turns back to my car lol.

Bboytaktix and I will be doing a significant sound deadening project in a couple weeks
on the 4 doors and rear trunk deck. Should help a lot with the rattles, and improving
car audio quality.

New Matte black vinyl chrome deletes for the window trim have been ordered as a few need to be replaced due wear and tear, and my mediocre install of them the first time around.

Will also be upgrading my front brake pads in less than one month's time,
and so far my fav option seems to be the Hawk HPS:

Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads Subaru STI / Mitsubishi EVO / OEM Brembo Applications HB453F.585 at RallySportDirect.com

SimonQC also pointed out Project Mu B-Force, which I shall futher investigate:

Cygnus Performance | Late Model Import Parts STi, WRX, BRZ - FREE SHIPPING Project Mu Street Sports B-Force Front & Rear Brake Pads with FREE Reservoir Cover 04-13 STi / 03-12 Evo

These 2 are also in contention:
-Ferodo DS2500
and
-Cosworth Streetmaster

I am also considering a new Nav headunit to replace the stock setup. Not easy to find one with the android compatiblity that I am looking for (have a note3);

So far the Parrot Asteroid Smart seems solid but I have more research to do.

Also waxed my car this weekend to keep her looking sharp:

Image Link

Looks really good. What brand grille is that? My car has fogs, sometimes I think they look better with the covers.

I think I already said this a while back but usually I am that big of a fan of black cars, but I think in this case it looks very good. It's hard enough dealing with scratches and the like on the DGM, I can't imagine how much of your weekends are spent detailing.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

Looks really good. What brand grille is that? My car has fogs, sometimes I think they look better with the covers.

I think I already said this a while back but usually I am that big of a fan of black cars, but I think in this case it looks very good. It's hard enough dealing with scratches and the like on the DGM, I can't imagine how much of your weekends are spent detailing.
Alex takes spectacular care of his STI; it has always been very clean when we meet up, even when it is dirty (if that makes sense)! My pbp sedan is generally worse than his just because I do not have the proper space to wash and detail it regularly :( but I make do :p

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Alex takes spectacular care of his STI; it has always been very clean when we meet up, even when it is dirty (if that makes sense)! My pbp sedan is generally worse than his just because I do not have the proper space to wash and detail it regularly :( but I make do :p
Yeah my "garage" is actually basically a cutout in the foundation just barely wide enough to get my car's big fat ass inside. There is barely room to bend down on either side to do polishing etc. The alternative is my gravel driveway :tdown: It does not make fiscal sense for us to buy right now (going to be moving in a few years) so I'm stuck with this unless we rent elsewhere, but it's hard enough building the perfect house, I'm sure as hell not going to find it for rent.

I don't think I'd do it often but most recently I just ran lightly over the whole car with a fine scratch remover compound before sealing up with zaino. There were some scratches from my neighbor's stupid shitball cats that I couldn't quite knock out, but everything else pretty much cleared up including most of the water spotting since it was surface spotting instead of etching.

I vacillate back and forth between wanting my car to be a spotless museum showpiece and wanting to give up caring at all because I can't take the stress of keeping it tip top.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #227

The HPS aren't cut out to handle much more than street driving. If you do any hard runs or autox they wont hold up to the heat with our heavier cars.

I run the Ferodo DS2500 with great success, also have had the Project Mu B-Force which did alright they didn't fall off at autox but I wouldn't trust them on a track day.

The DS2500 can handle track duty assuming you're not going 9/10ths every braking zone.
Thank you sir clap. Your knowledge is valued as always. :bow:

Looks like the ferodo ds2500 are now the most likely candidates I will order.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #228

Pardon my delayed response; the front grill is:
HTA - Subaru Front Sport Grill (WRX 11-14 / STi 11-14) - FRAAL Performance

Had it painted to match, and the mesh powder coated. Oh and had it protected with Xpel ultimate clear bra (along with the rest the car front end)

Yeah my "garage" is actually basically a cutout in the foundation just barely wide enough to get my car's big fat ass inside. There is barely room to bend down on either side to do polishing etc. The alternative is my gravel driveway :tdown: It does not make fiscal sense for us to buy right now (going to be moving in a few years) so I'm stuck with this unless we rent elsewhere, but it's hard enough building the perfect house, I'm sure as hell not going to find it for rent.

I don't think I'd do it often but most recently I just ran lightly over the whole car with a fine scratch remover compound before sealing up with zaino. There were some scratches from my neighbor's stupid shitball cats that I couldn't quite knock out, but everything else pretty much cleared up including most of the water spotting since it was surface spotting instead of etching.

I vacillate back and forth between wanting my car to be a spotless museum showpiece and wanting to give up caring at all because I can't take the stress of keeping it tip top.
I feel your pain with the maintenance of car paint. Keeping it pristine requires way more time dedication than I would like to my wife to know about lol.

I typically wax it myself 2-3 times per year, in addition to doing 1 scrath repair/polish/wax myself, plus one professionally done compound/polish/wax annually. Not to mention waving it washed at least twice per week in the summer (in the winter I give up, no point, is filthy McNasty again in 2min of driving).

If you are short on garage space, might I recommend investing in some sort of large parasol umbrella? Might just give you the shade you need to get some paint maintenance work done in the comfort of your driveway; all you really gotta do is keep it out of the sun while you working on it.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #229

Edit: Sorry for the hijacking Alex :D Oh and BTW grats on the wedding, I guess it was a blast :tup:
You always welcome to hijack :D

And yes the wedding was a blast!

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #230

New Mods incomming!

Here begins my a/v upgrade. Was very content to figure out how the digital display of gauges works; the hidden/integrated nature of the gauges into the HU is very appealing to me, along with replacing the crappy stock HU. The Amp/sub/speaker will be soon to follow.

Doing some minor brake stuff as well, since pads need to be replaced anway.

Nothing ordered yet.

Audio

Pioneer 8000nex $930
SiriusXM SXV200v1 Tuner $44.48
ASWC-1 Steering wheel control (from SVXDC) approx $50 to $60
Harness to interegrate into existing harness $??
MHL 2.0 HDTV Smart Adapter (adapter for note3) ( ET-H10FAUWESTA) $40
Pioneed CD-AH200 (adapter for appradio on 8000nex) $60
AUX 3.5mm harness (allows use of audio jack with HU) svxdc approc $40
JDM 2-Din Bezel
OBDLink LX (bluetooth) OR OBDlink MX WIFI (to enable Dashcommand via appradio)

Brakes

Ferodo DS2500 Rear Brake Pads Subaru $234
Ferodo DS2500 Front Brake Pads Subaru STI $105
Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines Front Subaru Models* $52.25
Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines Rear Subaru STI 2008-2014* $52.25

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #232 (Edited)
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless "family sedan": Head Unit/Brake Pads+lines (resea

New parts ordered!

Headunit Stuff:

-Pioneer 8000nex
-SiriusXM SXV200v1 Tuner
-ASWC-1 Steering wheel control (from SVXDC)
-Harness to interegrate into existing speaker setup
-MHL 2.0 HDTV Smart Adapter (adapter for note3) ( ET-H10FAUWESTA)
-Pioneed CD-AH200 (adapter for appradio on 8000nex)
-AUX 3.5mm harness (allows use of audio jack with HU) svxdc

Brakes:

Ferodo DS2500 Rear Brake Pads Subaru
Ferodo DS2500 Front Brake Pads Subaru STI
Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines Front Subaru Models*
Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines Rear Subaru STI 2008-2014*

Still need to order a double din bezel for an aftermarket HU,
and the OBDLINK MX Wifi, which is suppose to be available to purchase in Nov.
Very excited about the OBDLink MX Wifi, and the Dashcommand App which will allow
for digital gauges and tons of other info to be displayed on the HU.

Here is an overview of what Dashcommand is all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DIh4u0bAgY

A big shout out to David at ae64 (Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information)
who was a great help, and answered all of my noob questions
regarding which harnesses I will need and why.

The audio install will likely be done by JD Car Stereo in Montreal, as
Bboytaktix and I already have a soundproofing project incoming and will
likely be short on finding time to do both that and all this HU stuff, which is too bad.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless "family sedan": Head Unit/Brake Pads+lines (resea

New parts ordered!

Headunit Stuff:

-Pioneer 8000nex
-SiriusXM SXV200v1 Tuner
-ASWC-1 Steering wheel control (from SVXDC)
-Harness to interegrate into existing speaker setup
-MHL 2.0 HDTV Smart Adapter (adapter for note3) ( ET-H10FAUWESTA)
-Pioneed CD-AH200 (adapter for appradio on 8000nex)
-AUX 3.5mm harness (allows use of audio jack with HU) svxdc

Brakes:

Ferodo DS2500 Rear Brake Pads Subaru
Ferodo DS2500 Front Brake Pads Subaru STI
Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines Front Subaru Models*
Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines Rear Subaru STI 2008-2014*

Still need to order a double din bezel for an aftermarket HU,
and the OBDLINK MX Wifi, which is suppose to be available to purchase in Nov.
Very excited about the OBDLink MX Wifi, and the Dashcommand App which will allow
for digital gauges and tons of other info to be displayed on the HU.

Here is an overview of what Dashcommand is all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DIh4u0bAgY

Sound system stuffs, you already know I approve ;)

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless "family sedan": Head Unit/Brake Pads+lines Ordere

So my 8 month old son, while sitting in my lap in the driver's seat somehow scratched the center of the steering wheel with his razor sharp raptor claws in an irreparable way.

Decided to look into solutions to find out to replace just that piece one must order a whole new air bag kit for $700ish dollars! Screw that.

Found this overlay instead from crux motorsports,
and quite frankly it looks better than stock.

Had to have it increased in size to match the whole center piece diameter (9.5cm).

Cheap fix and it looks great. Will match my soon to be hydripped HU bezel and console trim:

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless "family sedan": Head Unit/Brake Pads+lines Ordere

Oh and the ferodo d2500 front and rear brakepads are in, along with the stoptech brakelines.

Braking is quite a bit more responsive than stock was. More bite, and the brake pedal feels more sensitive.

Now in winter mode, all the lips/diffusers are removed, and the winter rims/tires on just in time for the first serious snowfall. Was driving circles around everyone today.

Best. Winter. Car.

·
Registered
892 Posts

So my 8 month old son, while sitting in my lap in the driver's seat somehow scratched the center of the steering wheel with his razor sharp raptor claws in an irreparable way.

Decided to look into solutions to find out to replace just that piece one must order a whole new air bag kit for $700ish dollars! Screw that.

Found this overlay instead from crux motorsports,
and quite frankly it looks better than stock.

Had to have it increased in size to match the whole center piece diameter (9.5cm).

Cheap fix and it looks great. Will match my soon to be hydripped HU bezel and console trim:

Image Link
I like that! How was the install on the little notches?

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #237

I like that! How was the install on the little notches?
Pretty easy, used a heat gun some patience and my fingernails, worked out pretty well :D

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless "family sedan": Soon: HU(8000nex)+digi gauges+rca

By the end of this week I will get back my HU bezel and shift boot trim,

which have been redone in carbon fiber hydrographics. Very excited to see the result.

This, of course, will be installed along with my new HU, the pioneer 8000nex,

not to mention a reverse camera setup. Chose the Boyo vision VTK230HD,

which is a newer backup cam, is well reviewed, tiny, and has the oem look I am going for:

VTK230HD // Vision Tech America, Inc.

I remain most excited about the digital gauge setup, via dashcommand, an app on my Samsung Note 3. The Note 3 will be plugged in direct to the 8000nex through hdmi. The appradio feature on the 8000nex allows for apps on the smart phone to be used and displayed on the HU. Basically it is screen mirroring, but through the fancy 8000nex interface.

The OBDLINK info is send to my smartphone via:

ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink MX Wi-Fi Scan Tool | OBD Adapter - ScanTool.net

This is the first wifi obd tool that works with android OS. I prefer to avoid the bluetooth obd tools, as my phone call features will require the Bluetooth connection to my HU. I do not want to switch BT connection everytime I want go to dashcommand, or make a call.

Full use of all apps is enabled by unchaining my note 3, which I am still hesitant to do.
When I did the same to my iphone a few years ago it was nothing but a headache, so perhaps the standard appradio access will suffice. The standard appradio apps are already quite plentiful (youtube, netflix, etc etc...)

I have all of the harnesses from ae64, all the necessary samsung/pioneer adapters, my HU with a custom cut Zagg HD screen protector done by myself, all prepped and ready to go.
Just waiting on the hydrographics and the backup cam to be delivered, oh and the OBDlink MX WIFI to be availble, which is still on pre-order. Says it should be available November....

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #239 (Edited)
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless "family sedan": Soon: HU(8000nex)+digi gauges+rca

Today Bboytaktix and I finally were able to start a planned soundproofing project, that had been suggested, done and mostly put together on his initiative.

Big credit goes to this detailed walkthrough from nasioc:

2011 Impreza WRX/STI Sedan Rear Shelf - Stopping The Rattle [Part I] - NASIOC

We succeeding in soundproofing the crap out of the rear parcel shelf or deck,

which is the source of a great many rattles in the STI, and the bane of gr sedan owners

everywhere.

Bboytaktix has a pretty serious sound system that allowed us to gauge the effectiveness of
this mod, and he seemed quite pleased the result. His intense sub and bass no longer rattles the back of the car to hell. With a new HU and sound mods on the way, I too was quite pleased to get this done to my ride.

With some dynamat type material (whose name I am forgetting now), some foam tape, and some elbow grease, this indeed makes a noticeable difference.

We only had the time today to do both of our parcels shelves; the 4 doors and very irritating noise where the front dash meets the windshield in front of the driver are up next.
Fuck you rattles!

Behold! Pictures:

Before laying down the soundproofing materials

1/2 Way

Done

In addition to the dynamat stuff,
we put foam tape on all of the points
of contact between the plastic self and
the metal frame underneath, including
along the entire length of where the shelf
meets the rear windshield.
(As indicated in the Nasioc walkthrough)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Re: Stealth-baru! 2012 OBP Wingless "family sedan": Soundproof Part 1-Rear Parcel She

Great day yesterday! We got a lot done! Always fun to work with someone who shares the same passion as you. It was a fun day!

A total of 3 sheets per car (6 ft sq.) of Second Skin Damplifier was used on the rear deck. We went with full coverage to be safe, since we did not want to have to go through removing the rear parcel shelf again if anything still shook.

Results were better than I expected; the whole way home I played songs that had been notorious for shaking my rear deck. I'm glad to say that the vibrations were greatly reduced, I'd say at LEAST 90%, maybe more. It is hard to tell if the rattles are completely (100%) gone in that area because now, I can hear faint vibration in my four door panels (only at really high volume).

Next project once Alex and I find the time: DOOR TREATMENT! We have got another 14 ft. sq for the four doors as well as two sheets each of closed cell foam which will provide full coverage on all four of our doors, which will not only reduce shaking but will also eliminate a good amount of road noise :D

221 - 240 of 653 Posts