IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the GREDDY TYPE S. My car was running too rich. Exhaust BAckfires. Like a Shotgun goin off.... Timing wasn't good. Put the OEM Bypass Valve back.
Please don't waste the money for a BOV.
List of MODS:

INJEN CAI
INVIDIA DOWNPIPE
STI CARBONFIBER FRONTand ALUMINUM REAR STRUT BARS
STI 18x8 gold wheels by RAYS on TOYO proxes
SPARCO roadters
DEFI GAUGES
STI emblems,Logos
ROOF scoop

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
MikeTBF said:
I tried the GREDDY TYPE S. My car was running too rich. Exhaust BAckfires. Like a Shotgun goin off.... Timing wasn't good. Put the OEM Bypass Valve back.
Please don't waste the money for a BOV.
List of MODS:

INJEN CAI
INVIDIA DOWNPIPE
STI CARBONFIBER FRONTand ALUMINUM REAR STRUT BARS
STI 18x8 gold wheels by RAYS on TOYO proxes
SPARCO roadters
DEFI GAUGES
STI emblems,Logos
ROOF scoop
Maybe it was your setup? My forge BOV (one of hte only BOvs to get good reviews) hasnt caused a single problem, that and my car doesnt even seem to be running rich... Do you have problems with the CAI (as its not as good as the RAI + more air with our ECUs so far seem to not have good results)? That and what does the roof scoop look like? ... and what do you mean by STI emblems/logos? lol sorry to ask so many questions, but im curious.

Robert~

·
Registered
241 Posts
my HKS actually worked better with my car than my Forge did (on my wrx)...

It def. depends on the BOV... but still... all of the BOVs will give you the symptoms... whether or not they're that bad or not is up to which one you get

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll try to post pix today. I'm just talking about my personal experience with BOV. My car right now is back to normal with the OEM valve. GOt rid of the Backfires. Still running rich.I'm thinkin of SAFC2.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Make sure you get a recirculating BOV. A BOV that dumps 100% atmosphere can cause the car to run rich.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
RLsChMiDt said:
my HKS actually worked better with my car than my Forge did (on my wrx)...

It def. depends on the BOV... but still... all of the BOVs will give you the symptoms... whether or not they're that bad or not is up to which one you get
if you dont mind me asking... how does it work better? It seems to do just fine, but Im wondering what you saw different (As I had an HKS SSQV setup for what I thought was going to be my future TT supra).

Robert~

·
Registered
424 Posts
k.. so if i didn't really care about paying for more gas for that "BOV sound"... theres nothing else i should worry about?

i was really thinkin about just a BOV - an HKS - to be my only mod, since i only wanted that sound. i'm coming from a 2001 civic ex, so any horsepower and torque over 200 is really too much already. =]

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Remove the resonator from the air box, you will get the sound. I can hear mine loud and clear after removing the resonator. Easy to do and it is FREE!!!!! :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't say that upgrading a BOV/CBV is a waste of money. Not sure, how good the stock CBV is on the STi, but on the EVO it tends to leak under higher (higher than stock i.e +19psi) boost pressures. The problem is that in cars with the air metering system, venting into the atmosphere causes the car to run rich (as the system "thinks" it still has the same amout of air and measures fuel accordingly). The solution is the get a CBV (compressor bypass valve), but you will be sacrificing the "swoosh" sound :)

If you are going to leave your boost at stock level, than i wouldn't spend the money on a better valve.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
USDM must have a different BPV to australian models, because AUDM BPV dont really like more then the factory 18psi.

·
Registered
541 Posts
eatV8 said:
USDM must have a different BPV to australian models, because AUDM BPV dont really like more then the factory 18psi.
The Australians have the 2.0L, which runs higher boost. If you boosted the 2.5 to 18 psi, maybe we'd see the same thing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm running the TurboSMART recirculating BOV...It works great, no power loss and my car isn't running too rich.

Shane

·
Registered
493 Posts
ATTN: San Diego STi owners for Turbo Heat Shield

Running Greddy Type S w/ recirculation and no backfire and everything is fine.
But somehow I can't hear Pssshhh :(
Anybody knows why?

·
Registered
273 Posts
salaki said:
Running Greddy Type S w/ recirculation and no backfire and everything is fine.
But somehow I can't hear Pssshhh :(
Anybody knows why?
That's because you have the recirc kit. You will only hear the pshtttt if you were venting to atmosphere

1 - 20 of 41 Posts