·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly. Lord knows if they'd put slightly taller gears on there, it would be. 0-60 and 1/4-mile times suffer with short gearing, after a point. For example, I'm guessing we'd gain a few tenths of a second 0-60 if we didn't have a 2-3 upshift. Also, 5th and 6th gears are intended as overdrive gears. I've heard that the 1/4-mile numbers improve with a swap to the track gearset for the 6MT, and I believe it, given the gear ratios.

'Course, I'm not about to do the swap, so this is all theoretical.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ZenBoy said:
Possibly. Lord knows if they'd put slightly taller gears on there, it would be. 0-60 and 1/4-mile times suffer with short gearing, after a point. For example, I'm guessing we'd gain a few tenths of a second 0-60 if we didn't have a 2-3 upshift. Also, 5th and 6th gears are intended as overdrive gears. I've heard that the 1/4-mile numbers improve with a swap to the track gearset for the 6MT, and I believe it, given the gear ratios.

'Course, I'm not about to do the swap, so this is all theoretical.
It really depends on how fast you can shift, but ya, it'd be nice for everything to be a little longer. But strangely the gear upgrades that i've seen have just made 1st gear longer and the rest shorter so... maybe its actually better. I can stomp anything off the line, even if i dont launch because of the short gearing and immediate power. With a turbo (this is for stock guys) keep in mind , if you make the gearing longer it might take longer to spool (in first and such... if you're already moving then obviously shifting from redline wont make any turbo lag ;) ). But just cruisin in 3rd gear and punching wouldnt be near as fun if the gears were longer.

Also thats a great link... the only thing thats got me is that ... it looks like they actually have all the STi stats (even though they look a little low as yet normal people have ran sub-12 second 1/4 mile times stock). But with the other car it looks like they just guess (as the STi actually has MPH and more data to back up their accusations...) so I dun know, either way a cool graph.

hehe this is always cool to see to:
"Closest in Performance
2000 BMW Z8
2004 Mercedes-Benz E 55 AMG
2003 Ferrari 575M Maranello F1
2003 Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG
1998 Dodge Viper GTS-R"

Robert~

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agent Chobos said:
Keep in mind that all performance "stats" shown on that site come from the simulation software they use, called "Cartest".

http://www.car-videos.com/performance/index.asp

Also check their FAQ. Not to say they're essentially "made up", but I take info. from that site with a grain of salt...
Verrrry interesting. I did notice that you could submit stats, so I was hoping that people were working with actual numbers. I'm glad you pointed that out - I hadn't run across it before.

You know, I thought the McLaren F1 was a heck of a lot slower than they said 0-60. They have it listed at 2.6 seconds. Yeah, right. That sucker's got to be chugging along with at least a 3.1. :wink:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
staticx313 said:
Also thats a great link... the only thing thats got me is that ... it looks like they actually have all the STi stats (even though they look a little low as yet normal people have ran sub-12 second 1/4 mile times stock). But with the other car it looks like they just guess (as the STi actually has MPH and more data to back up their accusations...) so I dun know, either way a cool graph.
I've seen a number of road tests on the 22B in the past, and while I don't remember it running a 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds, I know it's pretty quick. I'd guess that it's about even with the USDM STi, personally.

The quickest I've seen so far on a USDM STi are 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, and a 1/4-mile of 12.8 seconds (don't remember the mph on that run).

I'd love to see a side-by-side test of the two, but for now it seems all we have is good ol' Cartest!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
ZenBoy said:
Agent Chobos said:
Keep in mind that all performance "stats" shown on that site come from the simulation software they use, called "Cartest".

http://www.car-videos.com/performance/index.asp

Also check their FAQ. Not to say they're essentially "made up", but I take info. from that site with a grain of salt...
Verrrry interesting. I did notice that you could submit stats, so I was hoping that people were working with actual numbers. I'm glad you pointed that out - I hadn't run across it before.

You know, I thought the McLaren F1 was a heck of a lot slower than they said 0-60. They have it listed at 2.6 seconds. Yeah, right. That sucker's got to be chugging along with at least a 3.1. :wink:

You might be surprised..... the mclaren is REALLY light, and it's pushing over 500 hp (i believe...), AND it's mid-engine, so all the weight is over the drivewheels. Plus, it's entirely possible that it hits 60 while still in first gear.... taking away the lag time for a gear shift.

Still, probably a hair over 3 seconds sounds more realistic.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, seriously, I love that car - I've seen/read every road test on it I could get my hands on. It's actually more like 3.1-3.2 seconds 0-60. I was just being a smarta**. :wink:

The McLaren F1 LM has 640 bhp, as I recall. My favorite is the Top Gear review of it, where he keeps lighting up the rear tires coming out of turns, even at low-mid RPM's. Beautiful machine, that.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ZenBoy said:
staticx313 said:
I've seen a number of road tests on the 22B in the past, and while I don't remember it running a 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds, I know it's pretty quick. I'd guess that it's about even with the USDM STi, personally.

The quickest I've seen so far on a USDM STi are 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, and a 1/4-mile of 12.8 seconds (don't remember the mph on that run).

I'd love to see a side-by-side test of the two, but for now it seems all we have is good ol' Cartest!
o ya man , Im not saying its slow, Im just saying I dont think its That much faster. I have a videos of a EJ20 (STi?) vs New EJ20 STi and the new one won... in all departments... now I dont know if that was the 22B, but it was some japanese video posted here. but ya I agree I'd love to see a sidebyside test of the two (if I havent already).

Robert~

·
Registered
586 Posts
ZenBoy said:
No, seriously, I love that car - I've seen/read every road test on it I could get my hands on. It's actually more like 3.1-3.2 seconds 0-60. I was just being a smarta**. :wink:

The McLaren F1 LM has 640 bhp, as I recall. My favorite is the Top Gear review of it, where he keeps lighting up the rear tires coming out of turns, even at low-mid RPM's. Beautiful machine, that.
Yes it is beautiful. FYI the horsepower on the "base model" F1 is 627, it should be slower compared to the stripped out LM version. But it's actually a little faster and a lot more "desirable". :roll: Quite a few ex-racing LM's are bought and converted to street spec. :)

I hope everyone had a fun Christmas and made around it all right driving. :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
STi reliability

those numbers have to be calculated...they have a lap time at laguna of 2.11.8, and i've been around it in 1.54 in a regular wrx(as a passenger...), and the guy that drove that car said my sti was WAY quicker...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's too bad - I suppose it's only useful as a means of comparison, though. Otherwise they'd all have to have the same driver, same conditions, etc. Even if they did, you know someone on a message board somewhere would start talking about why the wind blowing east vs. west was a factor.... :wink:

Still fun to see numbers side by side. If someone wants to donate a 22B to me, I'd be glad to get some numbers and post them.... :roll:

·
Registered
272 Posts
i wouldnt want a mclaren... if i ever get the money i'll go with a veyron (prob the most beautiful car i've ever seen).
(and this im gonna get flamed for), but i dont think the F1 looks that great, especially from the back. also the bugatti has much nicer sounding engiine.. oh well, just me.

P.S. - i dont think you can buy a mclaren anymore, i think they are all being bought back to make room for the next generation F1... can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know ... I haven't gotten a call yet to buy it back, so.... :wink:

As I recall, Jay Leno has one, and Rowan Atkinson has one or two. But, I can't exactly call them up and ask!

The Veyron is nice, but I think my approach to cars changed when I went through school for engineering. Now I appreciate cars that are more "function over form". I would classify the Subaru as being this way, since they seem to focus on engineering and function before they worry about the design of the car. If they wanted to focus more on design, I think the Subarus would look a lot different right now.

The McLaren is the same way - no expense was spared in the building of the thing, and the design emphasized function first. For example, the engine compartment is lined with gold, since it's the most effective insulator. As I recall, the exhaust is titanium, and the wheels and suspension are mostly magnesium. Plus, the driver sits in the center, instead of on one side or the other. Talk about racing-bred!

Oh, great, now I'm drooling again.... :roll:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
This the second time I am seeing similar numbers. A rally driver friend of ours recently purchased an STi (4 mo. ago probably) and he tested the top speed and said the fuel cutoff came in at 158 mph. Where are the 146 mph cut-off and 154 mph "theoretical" numbers coming from, some Subaru brochure? I am asking this out of curiosity as we know that our friend's car was speed calibrated and I won't doubt his word.

Also, if you read our VIR report, the maximum we reached just around 140 mph, which was tire and distance limited. Frankly, it felt very easy to get to that speed and the vehicle was very stable even going over front straight's imperfections. I cannot imagine getting cuttoff at 146 mph frankly. Beginning of March we are going back to VIR with a working data collector ;) and R-compound tires, I am quite positive we will see 150+ mph unless we have fuel cut-off before then.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I'm gonna cry. They killed one? The poor car.... :lol:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where are the 146 mph cut-off and 154 mph "theoretical" numbers coming from, some Subaru brochure? I am asking this out of curiosity as we know that our friend's car was speed calibrated and I won't doubt his word.

Any thoughts?
That's a good question. I've seen an "indicated" 152-153 on my speedometer, but as we all know, the STi speedometer reads a bit high.

It's supposedly speed limited around 145, so it may be that it reads 8 mph high at that speed. I didn't actually hit the fuel cutoff, though - I was limited by the end of a straightaway as your friend was. I do remember that the car was very susceptible to wind at that speed, as one run I had during winy weather was actually significantly slower in the straightaway.

Ultimately, I'd say it's a safe bet that there's a fuel cutoff in there somewhere, but maybe your friend can find out for sure just where it is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts