IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for about a month now my aw has had some sort of bug and I cant seem to figure it out.

No matter how cold it is outside the car will start. I live in cleveland and we have had a few sub zero days and it has started up just fine. But if i drive the car for any amount of distance and then turn it off and let it sit anwhere from 40 min till the engine is almost fully cold it wont start. Well ill take that back because it does start it will just die on me and then it will take about 10 minutes of trying to finally get it to run. Sometimes a bit less and sometimes a bit more. And the weird thing is that once i feel it start dying it doesnt matter if i stop on the gas or i keep tapping the peddle the revs wont rise and it just dies on me.

I always let the fuel pump prime before starting it and I always have over a half tank in the car. I also always let it idle about 20 seconds before shutting it down. I just dont get why it starts up so easily when its the first cold start of the day or if I just let it sit for a few minutes. But if i let it sit any longer than that it will start and then just die on me and then wont start for some turns after that.

Any advice would help me right now. I am thinking fuel pump but thats a bit pricey fix.

Oh and the car is completely stock. It has been doing it since I bought it and subaru has been trying to find me a new one but its pretty embarrassing. thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I think it is the fuel pump as well but it seems like it has to be something with a senor or a failing fuel pump. It just seems like electrical would be a bit more random while this is a bit more consistent.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The stock pump sucks. Even though its upgraded its flaky (at least for me).

Could it be your front O2 sensor or crank position sensor going?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I thought about that but I figured it would have thrown a code by now. Basically just shooting in the dark. I was hoping that someone has had this happen to them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I am thinking that it is the coolant temp sensor. Has anyone has any problems with those going bad. Any signs?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sounds almost exactly like what happens when the main fuel relay fails on most Hondas i've worked on. When the circuit in the relay heats up it loses power (and the car dies) until it cools (explains the 10min wait before restarts). May not be your problem, but just thought i'd throw it out there. It def sounds electrical to me though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts