IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ayte this is a newb question but i was wondering, me and homeboy just got new cars, a sti (me) 350(him) and both of us are new to driving stick, like we been practing driving manuel for only a month before getting our new rides. What i was wondering is that even though we both havent hit 500 miles yet, i have already stall a couple times like twice, and he stall 4 time already before hitting 500 miles. And last night I left it on 3rd gear i think but i thought it was in neutral so coming up to the stop light i let go of the cluth and it stall, man.... it sounded bad, like the engine dying, i was kinda piss at myself. So what im asking is if this is gonna cause any harm to the engine a little later on or whats the effect, is my car going to be slower later on bc of this, is it not going to last as long, or is causing harm to the transmission or something else, thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
It's probably fine, but I would not make a habit out of it. It takes a little getting used to the sti clutch, I'm quite comfortable with it now but I used to occasionally give it too much or too little gas starting from a stop.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It's going to put a bit of wear on your clutch, and some stress on your piston rings.... but other than that it's not that big of a deal.

Just one thing to remember - it's probably better to stall than over rev and smoke the clutch. If you stall while you're trying to start going, it's probably not going to harm the car at all. Stalling while in gear with the brakes engauaged is quite a bit worse. This is because you're locking your engine to a standstill almost instantly.... all the momentum from your engine is going into some clutch slippage (even with the clutch fully enguaged, it'll slip here because there is just too much force), and maybe some excessive torsional forces on the engine components... as your flywheel and clutch lock up, the crankshaft is being slammed to a stop, and it has to completely freeze the pistons as well. Plus if the engine is firing and you bring the cylinder to a halt, you could have a detonation type of situation. The cylinder detonates but the clutch and crankshaft are holding it locked into place..... Explosion in a confined space, and nowhere for the energy to go.

I'd hate to put the car through that kind of abuse, but you have to do what you have to do. Just keep it to a minimum and baby the car as much as you can until you get better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replys, and dammmm yea i did that once, the one where i stall while the brakes are enguage, dammm that sounds bad but yea, imma baby dat car like a bitch now, again thanks for the replys

·
Registered
694 Posts
Re: radar detectors- who has what?

Don't worry about the stalling - everyone I've ever known that switched to a car with a lightened flywheel kills it from a stop at some point.

If you're ever curious about the difference, try test-driving a Forester XT. It has the same engine, but feels a lot more driveable. Why? Heavier flywheel. What difference does that make? Increases inertia of the engine's rotating mass. Does it annoy the heck out of me when people ask and answer their own questions in conversation? Absolutely.

·
Registered
530 Posts
hehe, yeah, you'll get used to the clutch. Sti is my first stick, and i just bought it on 12/24/03, Im good now, and still improving. You should of heard some of the sounds i made when i stalled it. lol

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
HKS TURBO TIMER Metric Measurements (Silver)

I had the same problem with the RSX. It has a relatively light flywheel and tends to bog in 1st if you don't match it just right. My wife and I learned to drive stick on the RSX (well we also borrowed a family member's SUV to practice on too :))

Typically you want to be around 1-1.2k RPMs as the clutch starts to engage. Now, granted this is for an RSX but it should be the close to the same with the STi.

I have a question for you guys. Does the STi feel slightly "jerky" in 1st at extremely low speeds (less than 5-10km/h) at seemingly random times? When creeping in traffic on the highway in 1st, sometimes the car will just start bucking for no reason, even though I've modulated the gas very smoothly. My wife's Civic doesn't do this at all. You can practically come right off the gas in first and not get any bucking whatsoever. I've started to realize that this is probably due to it having a heavier flywheel.

Do you guys notice this same behaviour in the STi?

·
Registered
167 Posts
The jerking your talking about is typical of lighter flywheels. Like you said this doesnt happen with heavier flywheels, you should of seen what my MR2 used to do w/ the Fidanza wheel in there :D (well it wasent THAT bad)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts