IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys please help me ! Is it reliable to buy a Subaru wrx sti with 500whp with stage 3 tuff block? For example like daily driving without abusing it? Does the motor last longer than oem sti motor? Please help

·
Premium Member
5,598 Posts
Sounds like an IAG name. Properly built motors (and IAG does that well) are highly unlikely to blow up, but they have short lives in terms of wear. Say 60KMi of perfect operation and then slow reduction of compression and corresponding reduction of power and response. IAG was very up front with this when I built. Mines at app 75KMi?

I think general consensus is that EJs reliability decreases above 450AWHP (up from 400AWHP due to E85). This is mostly because cars at that level often have non-stock valve trains. I wouldn't take anything for granted. Even if it did produce 500AWHP on a dyno it may not be a great performing car. There is also a significant chance that the is not actually so near 500 awhp. It would be nice to see the build list and match it up with whats on the car.

Most importantly, if you are doing the maintenance on it, then you need to have a Subaru performance shop lined up to care for it.

Though you have provided precious little detail, I expect this is all the answer you need.

Reactions: Aviator250

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I think you need to due some research here before spending money on a car like that. Generally built or forged blocks do not have the longevity lifespan of an OEM block. I would recommend having a pre purchase inspection done along with a compression and leak down test prior to purchase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm having a stage 2 tuff block from IAG built for around 400WHP on E85. I have a reputable shop doing the build and future maintainance (stuff I can't do). However, I fully understand that OEM reliability isn't possible. I'd definitely check that car out before making a decision. 500WHP could last 70K or 5 miles. Just depends on what the previous owner did to it. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts