IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
IDAHOSTI said:
How safe is stage two? And is at safer with meth?
Well considering I'm a stage 5 on a stock block with no problems... IMO Stage 2 is the way the car should have come out of the factory... Its all in the tuning... I would go with a ProTune (ECUtek) if you are worried about safety.... Good luck on your venture, and just have fun..... These motors are alot stronger than people give credit to.....:)

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Stage @ is fine. there are plenty of people running stage to for thousands and thousands of miles already. Do a search for Stage 2 club

·
Registered
128 Posts
IDAHOSTI said:
Some how this is what came up in my email as what you posted:

"wow 41 post! :clap: still a noob!:rofl: :rofl: ur an idiot!:lol::" ( i like the your an idiot part, thanks.

It's the mentality of people like you that make forums suck.

so far two of your posts have been worthless, what have the other 5 been?

:tup:
Pay no mind to members like 3rdeyevisual209... ignore them and they will stop derailing your thread (treat them like you would a two year old, you know).
<O:p
As far as stage 2 is concerned… given the number of people that are currently running a TBE and AP, and the amount of engineering COBB has put into the AP maps, I believe it is an extremely reliable and safe set of modifications.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Best of luck.

Oh, and 3rdeyevisual209, I only have 59 posts... is that problematic?

·
Gunnin' it.
5,148 Posts
Stage 2 is very reliable. Methanol is great, but it adds another variable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The reason people flame you is because you ask a pretty vague question. Define safe? Just because I run a 50 shot with no problems does that make it "safe"? Someone else runs a gt35 on a stock bottom end and it hasn't blown up..is that safe?

Anyway the answer to your question is: No. Maybe. Depends. Probably. Yes.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Industrial said:
The reason people flame you is because you ask a pretty vague question. Define safe? Just because I run a 50 shot with no problems does that make it "safe"? Someone else runs a gt35 on a stock bottom end and it hasn't blown up..is that safe?

Anyway the answer to your question is: No. Maybe. Depends. Probably. Yes.
I thought it was a pretty good question... not everything has to be so technical for us we todd did folks.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I agree with the sentiment that stage 2 is as it should be from the factory. It's just about perfect, IMO -- torquey, fun, and minimal lag. Any kind of turbo upgrade introduces compromises, whereas stage 2 has none. I think topping it off with a good aftermarket header makes the best possible trouble-free setup.

So far, 20K miles on my STI, 19K of that with a TBE & tune, and I'm a fairly aggressive driver. No problems whatsoever. STI has never been to the dealer for warranty work, although that is about to change (rear struts are dead. 20K seems to be par for that).

Dave

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know there are tons of people that are stage 2 and I might get flamed, but I'm not personally comfortable with it when most people are seeing 110%+ IDC. I've data logged my car at stg 1 and I already see 93% idc and to me that's already pushing it.

Do I have any proof that it's not good for the car? No. Just my opinion and food for thought. I'm just not comfortable with something that causes the injectors to go static. Personally I'm going to do injectors and fuel pump and get a protune.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Ghost Friend said:
I'm just not comfortable with something that causes the injectors to go static.
I would tend to agree, although I have my doubts as to the accuracy of logged IDC's. In theory 100% is static, and >100% is impossible. The fact that we're seeing impossible values leads me to question how accurate they are to begin with. I choose to ignore the IDC's and see how effectively people are maintaining A/F, and that seems to be pretty good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rootus said:
I would tend to agree, although I have my doubts as to the accuracy of logged IDC's. In theory 100% is static, and >100% is impossible. The fact that we're seeing impossible values leads me to question how accurate they are to begin with. I choose to ignore the IDC's and see how effectively people are maintaining A/F, and that seems to be pretty good.
true, I can agree with that approach. Have you seen any logging for a/f that has been done with a wide band? I haven't come across that for stg 2.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I might invest in a wideband a/f gauge. I have the Dynojet Wideband Commander in my supercharged/meth injected Mustang at it is really the only one I look at. Being that I have meth in my STI now, I figured it would be a worthwhile investment. It can datalog as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:eek: Oh god what have I started. Lets restate the question...Once I flash to stage two, what should one look/listen for? What items should be monitored on a log besides a/f, and boost? What is IDC? Is boost spike or creep more prevelant with stage 2? What is a safe a/f for us? when does it start to push the envelope...12's???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts