IW STi Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Srimps - 2010 WRB STI SE

hey just curious as to whats steps you did to paint your tails? they look really good almost oem. any more info would be great as i want to do this, thanks. WRB FTW!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Thanks man, appreciate the compliment.

As far as the tails, this is what I did:

- Clean and degreased the lights.
- Masked the lens with the 3M green masking tape, a lot easier to work with than the blue painters tape.
- Painted 1 light coat of Metalcast Red followed by roughly 4 medium coats with drying time in between.
- After letting sit for a day, I pulled the tape off the lens and cleared the entire lighting area. Roughly 4 coats of Duplicolor Automotive Clear.
- Let them sit for few days (should of waited a little longer) and then used my Porter Cable polisher with Meg. M105 and M205 to get rid of the orange peel as well as to give them a fairly nice gloss. Put some Poorboys wax on after as well.

So far they havent really faded much, if at all. The drivers side lamp (on fender) didnt get as red as the others and I'm going to redo it once summer comes.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thanks man, appreciate the compliment.

As far as the tails, this is what I did:

- Clean and degreased the lights.
- Masked the lens with the 3M green masking tape, a lot easier to work with than the blue painters tape.
- Painted 1 light coat of Metalcast Red followed by roughly 4 medium coats with drying time in between.
- After letting sit for a day, I pulled the tape off the lens and cleared the entire lighting area. Roughly 4 coats of Duplicolor Automotive Clear.
- Let them sit for few days (should of waited a little longer) and then used my Porter Cable polisher with Meg. M105 and M205 to get rid of the orange peel as well as to give them a fairly nice gloss. Put some Poorboys wax on after as well.

So far they havent really faded much, if at all. The drivers side lamp (on fender) didnt get as red as the others and I'm going to redo it once summer comes.

Hope this helps.
awesome thanks bro, will have to do this once it gets a little warmer out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Haven't bought too many mods lately. Trying not to make it such a money pit all at once. Hoping to get a fuel pump, EBCS, and a tune before summer.

On the plus side I did just fully pay it off. Haven't had the car for a year yet but I really don't like car payments. Saved me an extra $2400 in interest that I don't have to pay now. I can deal with that.

The one new mod I've got since the exhaust: AEM Cold Air Intake, won't install until right before my tune.

·
Registered
519 Posts

How do you like your Carbon tint? I'm also planning going 35, however, undecided from lumar and suntek. I saw this tint on a m3 a couple days ago and loved the way it looked. Very clean.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

My Suntek is actually starting to "flake" on my passenger side rear window where it is usually hidden by the window seal (up top). I'm probably going to get it redone at some point once I figure out a good brand to go with.

·
Registered
519 Posts

My Suntek is actually starting to "flake" on my passenger side rear window where it is usually hidden by the window seal (up top). I'm probably going to get it redone at some point once I figure out a good brand to go with.

Yikes! So I take it your not too happy with it? How long have you had it on?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Yeah, I was originally really happy. Looked great for 35%. It hasn't even been a year since I had it put on. I would take the car back to where I got it but I recently moved 800+ miles away which makes doing that slightly difficult.

·
Registered
519 Posts

Yeah, I was originally really happy. Looked great for 35%. It hasn't even been a year since I had it put on. I would take the car back to where I got it but I recently moved 800+ miles away which makes doing that slightly difficult.

Yeah that sounds like a pain in the ***. What are you using to clean your windows? Not an ammonia based product right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Yeah that sounds like a pain in the ***. What are you using to clean your windows? Not an ammonia based product right?
I was using Stoners glass cleaner sometimes. Water most of the others. Not sure what was up the the flaking behind the window seal.

·
Registered
184 Posts

You ought to bring that thing to a few autox events this year. There are a few of us from Bragg that go. Usually try and run one a month.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Haven't updated this in awhile. A few new parts have arrived and are waiting to be installed. I need a few small bits for the 2011+ bumper but the rest is going on shortly.

Fresh paint ($600 for paint in case anyone is wondering)

Side skirts are done and mounted. Will get better pictures after I wash the car.

KW's

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Coilovers going in. Old vs New.

Fronts are in. A "thru-ratchet" definitely helped installing the stock top hats to the KW's. I got a kit at Home Depot that fit everything nicely.

Rears installed. Definitely had to use a larger cheater bar on the rear 19mm strut bolts. The fronts came off with a small (1ft) cheater bar and minimal effort.

Rear / Side view of the painted Bayson R CS kit. Waiting on some parts to install the 2011+ front bumper.

Close up of the painted kit. You can see there is a small gap on the rear spat but doesn't look terrible (just not perfect). I can probably align it slightly better and will try to do that later on.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts