IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed any squeeks or rattle in their STi's? The glove box in my car seems to be a bit loose and it rattliing a bit when I go over bumps. It also seems like I am getting some rattle from the cup holder (almost like i't coming from somthing in the dash behind the holder itself). Neither are major problems, but squeeks and rattle drive me crazy. I know all the magazines said the car rattles when on bumpy roads, but I want to make sure mine is not the only one. I can't decide if it's just the stiff suspension, or if it's something I should have someone take a look at.

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow...I struggled a bit with the spelling on that last post. Maybe I should read them BEFORE posting!!

T

·
0 Posts
I had a rattle also that I thought was coming from the stereo area. Was riding around one day with my sister and talking about the rattle, she leaned down 2 secs and said "it's your cruise control". And sure enought it was, I played around with it a bit and it stopped rarttling. It was very difficult to find the origin while driving so could never find what it was.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe it is just my lousy hearing, but all I hear on bumpy or not roads is the beautiful throaty roar as I up my rpms. Good luck getting yours fixed. Dealer should be of help.

R :roll:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had both of the rattles that you describe. To fix the glovebox, I just took a screwdriver and gave a couple hand-tightens to every screw I could find. There are two below the box, and about 6 on the inside cover of the actual glovebox door. I haven't heard a squeak/rattle since. As for the "plastic-sounding" rattle near the cup holder... It seems to me that it is coming from the stereo bays. I don't know if it is the cheap little gray plastic cover or that cheap little black plastic pocket. All I did there was apply a little force to each to make sure they are sitting snugly and now I don't hear a peep. Every once in a while I have to repeat the process. I assume that replacing these two sections with a head-unit and something else will solve the problem for good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2.0L Sti VS 2.5L Sti

BHODGES3 - Thanks for the great advice. I'll take a look at the screws when I get home tonight. As for the cup holder issue, I did put a head unit in the other week. Maybe I didn't tighten something enough, because I don't recall hearing the sound before the installation. In any case, I'll take a look at both. I appreciate all the posts.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My car is pretty squeek free, other than some occasional noise on moon-cratered roads. (I.e., any road in the District of Columbia.)

My 98 had a rattle in the sunroof from day one, so I'm pleased with the STi's rattle-to-power ratio. Be thankful there's no sunroof!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
One I'm getting ready to address is the spare tire cover in the trunk. They have little metal fingers to keep it in the right place, but on really bad roads, you can hear those fingers banging and rattling around. A roll of foam sealing tape should take care of that problem.

·
Registered
311 Posts
One I'm getting ready to address is the spare tire cover in the trunk.
That reminds me of a funny story. The trunk seal in my 89 corolla was leaking and after a spring of warmer weather we found the car had a weird feel to it. Anyway, we lifted up the carpet in the back and the entire spare was surrounded by water! We fixed the leaky seal by sticking a pine cone in a certain spot on the seal ;)

M

·
0 Posts
no rattles on my car, even in the bumpies, :)

I guess my screws came pretightened, hehe

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Use silicon for dampening...

bigman32 said:
BHODGES3 - Thanks for the great advice. I'll take a look at the screws when I get home tonight. As for the cup holder issue, I did put a head unit in the other week. Maybe I didn't tighten something enough, because I don't recall hearing the sound before the installation. In any case, I'll take a look at both. I appreciate all the posts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i had a creak that was annoying the heck out of me recently 'til i figured it out - that nice seat height feature. if i have the seat cranked up a few pulls, it'll creak from side to side and front to back as different forces push it in different directions - i lowered it to the bottom, and the sound vanished, not to mention a more secure feeling seat. i readjusted mirrors and controls and said screw it - i'm sitting low.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hope you're wrong Nick!

i have had my car for a few weeks now and have noticed a couple rattles:
1. coming from center console area... turned out to be the safety seal plastic ring on my bottled water.
2. coming from passenger side near door... turned out to be the metal ring on my checkbook binder.
3. coming from driver's side door... turned out to be loose speaker wire.
4. coming from center dash... turned out to be my garage door opener card.

basically, i have been lucky so far. the bad @$$ engine just rumbles little things i put in the car :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts