IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short a friend of mine spun a rod bearing in his 2012. info is he is stage2 full bolted on with a cobb OTS map. he has always used sunoco 93 oct and redline motor oil he recently went to pennzoil ultra 5w30. and 2500 miles later boom!

so would you guya point the finger at the oil?

ps: im paranoid now since i went from using t6 in my old sti to just running the pennzoil ultra pure plus 5w30 in my 2015.

was always told pennzoil was a decent oil. but would oil really be the cause of a spun rod or a bad batch of gas or the ots map?

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
There are so many factors that can be attributed to the failure, with no information, its impossible to tell if its the oil...

do an oil analysis on your next oil change to see how well the Pennzoil is holding up. I have not heard good things about how Pennzoil holds up in the EJ, but an analysis will tell you more.

Just stick with a proven oil like T6 (or Amsoil if you want to spend more...). Or in your case, let the dealer do the oil changes while its under warranty and dont worry about it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got it. ive always ised t6 in my older sti but drained the factory fill and went with pennzoil this time at 1,500 maybe ill get t6 in there at 3k.

side note: would t6 be ok in northeast winter where it gets below 0?

im guessing for my buddy that it was the tune/bad gas more then the oil.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
understood. hopefully we can get his car back to stock and maybe itll still be covered under the 5year 60k warrt.

i know for a fact mobil1 is horrible with the ej motor but have not seen much on pennzoil or castrol syntec.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Above all things, I'd be looking at this "he is stage2 full bolted on" and not the oil. PU has had a great track record on the BITOG website and is considered one of the most robust energy conserving 5W-30s on the market.

What exactly does "stage2 full bolted on" mean? Tune, DP plus......intake, IC, ? The reality is you're walking on egg shells once you go to Stage II on these cars, especially STIs. Bad detonation could more than enough to push through oil film on a rob bearing and toast it. Extended racing, high gs, and/or low oil levels is often the culprit here.

What was he doing when this happened? Is he an aggressive driver? Does he race the car?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.