IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious,

I just ordered the STi pink lowering springs, etc. and was wondering if as I perform weight reducing modifications on my car (A/C removal, back seats, etc.) they would perform more equivalent to stiffer springs on a stock car. For instance if my front spring rate right now is 250lbs. and I drop 50 lbs. off the front of the car what would the equivalently handling spring rate on the stock weighted car be?

Or is this amount of weight difference not enought to matter?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
284 Posts
You have a good point. I dont think it would make the ride too much stiffer, though, considering the STi weighs in the neighborhood of 3200 lbs - so 50 to 100 lbs less wont be much.

On the other hand, since the weight you are taking off is directly on the front wheels (AC), it will make a HUGE difference in-turn in and directional changes. Thats more important than the overall weight of the vehicle. Along those lines, get the lightweight bumper beam too. Youll be amazed.

The back seat is pretty light already actually. you might want to keep it just for the sake of using the back doors :) It would be nice to have a two-door STi though.....

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECU pin

Olappa,

The car is being raced in autocross competition which unfortunately doesn't allow the lightweight bumper beam. I have however heard the rules for next year may allow the removal of the rear seat belts and all bracketry as well as the rear seats for SM competition in which case the weight savings would be pretty good! You also get the benifit of having a rear pass through then, kind of like an STi Wagon!

-Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts