IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Banned
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why should I have summer tires on my STI? The STI is a very capable car with strong stopping and handling capabilities. This is why the car comes with summer tires from the factory. They allow you to corner harder and stop faster than any all weather tire above 50 degrees. The car comes with decent summer tires but they can be improved upon.

There is no better handling or stopping mod that can be made over a great summer tire!

Now how can I make that statement. We have done testing on products like Coilovers, sway-bars, big brake kits. In every case that I can remember an improved tire gets better lap times when compared to these other modifications. The stop watch doesn't lie. I am not saying the other pieces are not important. I just want to make sure everyone realizes tires are not just black and round. I always recommend getting the best tire you can afford.

I am now going to talk about and recommend some tires.

EXTREME PEFORMANCE TIRES - You are a highly sprited driver and you looking for tons of dry grip and stopping power from you tires. You need to be willing to sacrafice some hydoplanning resistance and treadlife to get it.

1. Hankook RS3 - This tire loves heat. Its a streetable tire that works well on the track and the Auto X in tems above 80 degrees. From our testing and what I have seen this try will be the fastest dry street tire we carry. Wet traction is decent and ride is fair.

2. Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec - One of my favorite exteme tires for the daily driven STI. Here's why - Price these are usually one of the more cost effective extreme tires. They have some of the best wet traction of the extreme tires and they have a better ride comfort when compared to the RS3. They also heat up much quicker than the RS3. This tire is a great value.

Now there are other tires in the Extreme category that have similiar grip to the Dunlop Star Spec like the Bridgestone RE-11 and the Yokohama Advan AD08.These tires are definatley worth a look. Alot of times it comes down to the driver but these tires are similiar in peformance to the Star Spec but you a pay a premium in price.

Max Performance Tires - Your a highly spirted driver and want lots of dry, wet grip and hydroplanning resistance with better tread life vs the Extreme tires.

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Dry grip close to extreme, highest levels of wet grip, excellent tread wear. This tire uses 24 hours of Lemans racing technology that combine lots of dry traction and respone with long tread life for this type of tire.

2. Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position - 2nd best Maximum performance tires with a good combination of dry and wet traction. Usually saves a little $$ over the Michelin with close performance.

3. Continental Extreme DW - This tire really has impressed me. A very well balanced tire for at a considerable savings.

4. Summitomo HTR Z 3 - My value champ. This tire is usually one of the cheaper tires in the size with very good performance. Has beaten many similar and more expensive tires in our testing.

5. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo - Another popular STI tire with perfomance close to the Sumitomo above but the Sumi is better in the dry and noticeably better in the wet.

If you stick with one of the above tires you should be in pretty good shape. I just want to touch on the point again that these tires are good above 50 degrees. I will be monitoring this thread so ask away about any summer tire questions!

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
No advan AD08 on that list? Why not?

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
It was in the "other tires" mention under "Extreme" along with the RE-11.
Come on man I didn't actually read that far :lol:

My bad. I still won't buy the RS3's until I know they will last longer than 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm in between the RS3 and the Star Specs. I have two sets of wheels with HP A/S tires on one set and summer/track tires on the other (currently SP600 on their last legs). I daily drive my car, 30 miles each way. I plan on tracking about once every month or two.

My original plan was to get RS3s and use them track/canyon carving only. But in sunny SoCal, I'll likely just drive with the summer tires all the time so that's why the Star Specs appeal to me.

I do like the prices of the RS3s however.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
This is a great tire. 2nd fast Autox tire we carry to the RS3 with better wet grip and ride. I just wanted to point out the Star Spec is very close for quite a bit less.
Ah I understand. I was just curious :D

·
Banned
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any upcoming rebates on the Sumi's or Hankook's?

Thanks

Ian
They don't run many rebates because they are already a value tire. However if they do it would most likely be between March and April. Check back on this thread and if any promos come up I will post them here.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I had Star Specs and now have AD08... For AutoX AD08 is a better tire. Star Specs do heat up really fast but they also overheat fast. My next set probably would be RS3. But just as a street tire I'd probably select Star Specs for Wet handling. Although I think AD08 rides better (but really close to Star Specs)...

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I love my star specs for auto-x. Just make sure you're running enough negative camber in the front so you don't eat up the outside edges too fast. Also make sure you bring a sprayer in the warmer months. That big heavy sti will heat them up fast. I've always heard the RS3s had too soft sidewalls for a heavier car like the sti :notsure:

Sent from my galaxy S2

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
I love my star specs for auto-x. Just make sure you're running enough negative camber in the front so you don't eat up the outside edges too fast. Also make sure you bring a sprayer in the warmer months. That big heavy sti will heat them up fast. I've always heard the RS3s had too soft sidewalls for a heavier car like the sti :notsure:

Sent from my galaxy S2
That's what I hear too so I've strayed away from them.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I love my star specs for auto-x. Just make sure you're running enough negative camber in the front so you don't eat up the outside edges too fast. Also make sure you bring a sprayer in the warmer months. That big heavy sti will heat them up fast.
I didn't say that they are bad tires! They are great tires but AD08 are better for dry conditions. And yes I did spray my Star Specs all the time (lots of water :)). That helped to a certain point but not 100%. And I'm comparing at the same stock camber (-1.3 deg negative). Getting something -2 deg will make it easier for a tire but won't solve the fact that Star Specs don't like heat. AD08 are just better under the same conditions and require much less spraying. Not extremely better but just noticeably better.

Also depends on how many runs you get at AutoX event and the intervals between the runs... I do get up to 8 runs in a raw with just a few min. interval (sometimes not even enough for spraying/tire pressure checking). After ~3rd run I start feeling the degradation (even with massive spraying under ~70F ambient temp). It's not like they become bad, just not as good as during the first runs. Yeah, I maybe overpushing tires but I do the same with AD08 and they tolerate temperatures noticeably better. That's what I meant. And the price difference is not that high between AD08 nowdays.. A couple of years ago Star Specs were cheaper. So, I'd rather overpay a bit for AD08. But if wet traction is of a concern than Star Specs are better, although AD08 are not terrible in wet either but I think they hydroplane more.

I've always heard the RS3s had too soft sidewalls for a heavier car like the sti
Hmmm, interesting. Was it said for RS3 or RS2? Because I see a few EVOs driving RS3 and they are not light cars either. I talked to an owner of EVO X GSR who was using RS3 for street tire (he's also running slicks) and had Star Specs before and he prefered RS3. So far I've heard only positive things about RS3 (for dry conditions of course) except that they love to be warmed up. But that's fine with me. I prefer a longer warm up versus early overheating.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'd like to see some reviews of tires that are used for at least 5000 miles or so as traction tend to increase or decrease as tires get used.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Got them today. You'll have to wait till next weekend for a review though

Do the flames make them go faster?

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
I didn't say that they are bad tires! They are great tires but AD08 are better for dry conditions. And yes I did spray my Star Specs all the time (lots of water :)). That helped to a certain point but not 100%. And I'm comparing at the same stock camber (-1.3 deg negative). Getting something -2 deg will make it easier for a tire but won't solve the fact that Star Specs don't like heat. AD08 are just better under the same conditions and require much less spraying. Not extremely better but just noticeably better.

Also depends on how many runs you get at AutoX event and the intervals between the runs... I do get up to 8 runs in a raw with just a few min. interval (sometimes not even enough for spraying/tire pressure checking). After ~3rd run I start feeling the degradation (even with massive spraying under ~70F ambient temp). It's not like they become bad, just not as good as during the first runs. Yeah, I maybe overpushing tires but I do the same with AD08 and they tolerate temperatures noticeably better. That's what I meant. And the price difference is not that high between AD08 nowdays.. A couple of years ago Star Specs were cheaper. So, I'd rather overpay a bit for AD08. But if wet traction is of a concern than Star Specs are better, although AD08 are not terrible in wet either but I think they hydroplane more.

Hmmm, interesting. Was it said for RS3 or RS2? Because I see a few EVOs driving RS3 and they are not light cars either. I talked to an owner of EVO X GSR who was using RS3 for street tire (he's also running slicks) and had Star Specs before and he prefered RS3. So far I've heard only positive things about RS3 (for dry conditions of course) except that they love to be warmed up. But that's fine with me. I prefer a longer warm up versus early overheating.
I believe the RS3 is the absolute best street tire grip wise but I've also heard they don't last long for guys who DD, autocross and track them. I would like a tire to last 10,000-15,000 miles with DD, autocross and 1-2 track events a year.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts