IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so after washing my car i usually spray a good amount of brake cleaner to remove the rust from the disc's and was wondering if by doing this am i removing the pad buildup on the disc that helps the brakes work better. This is kinda of hard to explain and hopefully this is making sense. Just trying to find out if spraying the discs down after a wash is bad for braking performance...?

· Registered
787 Posts
You are spraying cleaner on the rotors themselves? Wow. If you want to get the "rust" off, just let the car roll (or drive it down the street) and apply the brakes. I don't know for sure if the cleaner would remove the film or not, but if you have doubts, wy do it? That rust isn't hurting anything and will be gone as soon as you use the brakes.

· /////////
8,593 Posts
rv7 said:
You are spraying cleaner on the rotors themselves? Wow. If you want to get the "rust" off, just let the car roll (or drive it down the street) and apply the brakes. I don't know for sure if the cleaner would remove the film or not, but if you have doubts, wy do it? That rust isn't hurting anything and will be gone as soon as you use the brakes.
Yep :tup:

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ok, yeah thats what i thought. Every since i started wondering about it I stopped doing it. I know when I race motocross it sometimes helps to spray a little brake cleaner on the rotors and then use the brakes hard. I'm pretty sure I read about spraying the rotors down with brake cleaner on a complete car detailing how-to...

· Registered
787 Posts
286 said:
Oh ok, yeah thats what i thought. Every since i started wondering about it I stopped doing it. I know when I race motocross it sometimes helps to spray a little brake cleaner on the rotors and then use the brakes hard. I'm pretty sure I read about spraying the rotors down with brake cleaner on a complete car detailing how-to...
The hydraulic brakes on your dirtbike work the exact same way that the ones on your car do. Of all the years I've raced motocross, I've never seen anyone worry about "cleaning" their rotors. Again, after you wash it, take it for a quick ride and apply the brakes. I liken this practice of cleaning your rotors to putting tire dressing on the tread of your car's tires.

CN: Quit being so anal; it's just a little dust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.