IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scan of the STi vs. EVO from the July 2003 SportCompactCar
(I know this one is kind of pointless cause its online for free :p)
6 Pages total.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Gee...that's funny. "We choose quality over quantity"

Um.....hallo....it's a freaking Mitsu man? Quality should not describe any Mitsu ever made......

S

·
0 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Gee...that's funny. "We choose quality over quantity"

Um.....hallo....it's a freaking Mitsu man? Quality should not describe any Mitsu ever made......
Yeah, I was left pondering a couple of the sillier sentences myself.

What I kept from the article: The editors did not like the feel of the STi as much as the EVO, but when it came to all out racing at Willow Springs, but it turned faster lap and 1/4 mile times AND it is a more comfortable daily driver.

Comparing these two cars is something of an enigma. When I read the article the clear winner is the one the editor put in second place, go figure. :roll:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Alot of the reviews seem to put an emphasis on the fact that the Evo is simply "more fun" or "more rewarding" to drive, regardless of 1/4-mile times or faster laps. Almost as if the STi is simply a soulless tool of speed.

It's funny, I heard that Porsche purists were starting to feel the same way about the 911 Turbo. The solution? Enter the GT2 and the GT3. I guess for driving fun, low weight, big power and a "raw" feel are just the ticket.

It seems Subaru skimped a bit on the seats and made the car "softer". Here's to hoping they raid a bit more of the Spec C parts bin for MY2005...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I tell ya, after spending a few hours in an STi.....I don't feel soft anywhere. I can, however, kinda see where they could find the car just overall brutish and raw. Driving the car (which I've only watched from the passenger seat) seems to be something like opening the fire hose and just trying to keep it pointed in the right direction.

But that's fine by me!

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
What I got outta this article is that the STi seems to fare better in rougher roads and the EVO is better on the tarmac. In this sense, the STi sticks closer to the rally-car image. Ignore the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, as it's so close that it really depends on the driver (Motor Trend June 2003 rates the EVO closer in both categories, although it is the first that I've seen say that)

When it comes down to it, I just like the STi better. More potential for mods, as well as a better ride and looks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts