IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hows the tach?

Hey guys, just picked up the latest SCC mag issue while food shopping...(that huge hood scoop just immediately caught my attention)...So far this is my favorite mag/issue...They've compared 3 other WRX's tuned by 3 different tuners (Vishnu, SPI, and Rally Performance) with the factory STi to see if tuners could match up or beat the STi's performance/price. All 3 tuners really did excellent jobs. The numbers were very close to each other...but I have to say Vishnu is da bomb!!! 8)

If you ever thought about getting a WRX (instead of an STi) and just tune it to STi performance (or better)...I think this issue will help you out decide what to do (even just a little bit)...Also, proves you that the more $$$ you spend doesn't necessarily mean the more performance you get...

There's also a huge 25 page 2003 Wheel Buyers Guide! Gives you lots of details about wheels...Anyone looking for wheels that would fit the STi's +45mm offset (am I right?) look no more!!! :wink:

And there's also an article about a $110,000/608hp Evo VII...yes that's right $110,000 (four zeros after 11..and yes 608hp! :eek: )...haven't read that yet but it seems really interesting...

Another article about the lucky American (whoohoo! :wink: again finally) who joins the WRC party. Let's wish him the best!...It also tells you some interesting things about rallying too. Interesting at least for newbies like me. :p

Here are the outcomes of the comparison (performance wise) :eek: :
1) Vishnu (just slightly above the STi)
2) STi
3) Rally Performance
4) SPI

Test - Vishnu / STi / Rally Perf / SPI
1/4 ([email protected]) - [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected]
0-60 (s) - 4.7 / 4.9 / 5.2 / 5.7
SkidPad (g) - .97 / .91 / .90 / .91
Slalom (mph) - 71.9 / 70.7 / 69.4 / 70.9
Braking (ft) - 110 / 110 / 116 / 118

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you ever thought about getting a WRX (instead of an STi) and just tune it to STi performance (or better)...I think this issue will help you out decide what to do (even just a little bit)...Also, proves you that the more $$$ you spend doesn't necessarily mean the more performance you get...
It doesn't work that way. You'd never get close to the STi's performance and reliability by building up a WRX. Why? Add up the cost of the wheels, Brembos, internal engine mods (forged pistons, lightened flywheel, sodium filled valves, AVCS, etc), 6 speed tranny and so on. You might beat the 1/4 mile time, but you're skimping in a lot of key areas to do it.

I've built a GC8 to near-STi performance for about the same price. The STi is better.

Plus, Shiv cheated by using an R compound tire! :lol:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yeah....no mention of the R compound tires in your review.

I'm actually not surprised that SCC didn't 'edit' the Vishnu times because of it....seeing as Shiv is an old friend of most people there. But yes...the Vishnu did very well and put up numbers right on par with the STi.......but it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The question I ask myself: what's the value of a warranty? Nothing better than a car with the performance of an STi that comes with a warranty.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Another article about the lucky American (whoohoo! again finally) who joins the WRC party. Let's wish him the best!...It also tells you some interesting things about rallying too. Interesting at least for newbies like me.

Whos the american?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Like It!

Yes yes...I did forget to mention the R compount tires Vishnu used...SCC admitted though that those tires gave Vishnu the advantage in handling over the STi...so I guess not counting the tires will make the STi slightly or a lot over the top or equal maybe? I still have to say everyone did a good job at trying to reach the STi's performance though. RDiamond, I'm only talking about numbers not reliability.. :wink:

Well, RDiamond and everyone does have a point about skimping in a lot of key areas and warranty issues etc etc...I'm sure the STi is still the best bang for the buck...I guess all I'm saying is that imagine how much more we can get with the STi with mods if just a regular WRX can already reach the STi's performance level?... :eek: Hopefully when I can get an STi next year there'll be a lot more aftermarket parts out for it...I can't wait!!! :-?

Sha_zapple said:
Whos the american?
The guy's name is Ramana Lagemann

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, one benefit to modding a car to STi level -- cheaper insurance! :)

By the way, Shiv denies that the tires gave him an advantage. :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Pictures of your previous ride

I thoroughly enjoyed that article... now if SCC, or ricers paradise, could just bring themselves to the point of doing one article where the STi isn't bashed in some way... I might renew my subscription.

·
Registered
424 Posts
hey RDiamond, what do you mean by cheaper insurance? i think i read somewhere that the STi was counted as a sedan not sports... but i might be wrong =/

·
Registered
251 Posts
choonzAWR said:
hey RDiamond, what do you mean by cheaper insurance? i think i read somewhere that the STi was counted as a sedan not sports... but i might be wrong =/
No, you're absolutely right. But you think that's going to last? At least two STis have been wrecked already! :cry: :cry: As soon as the insurance companies figure out that it's not a regular car, we're in big trouble. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, my insurance co (Liberty Mutual her in NJ) considers the STi a High Performance Sedan...which is right next to the Sports Car Category I believe. :-? my quote was almost as high as if I would get an RX-8!!! :x

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
everyone keeps talking about the tires in vishnu car... what tires were the other 2 wearing? were they as sticky as STi? if no STi had an atvantage aswell.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Did the article say what stage upgrade the Vishnu car was? And what octane were the modded cars running?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
stage 2, IIRC. and given his practical philosophy (driveability, reliability, yada yada), it's probably 92+octane, though i don't think the article noted it. i'll check again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts