IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about these Enkei's?

Praxis Systems was reviewed in the November issue of Sport Compact Car...was a pretty positive review, but first thing that the writer asked was "Where's the Rallycross setting?"

The alignment is a little compromised, and the price is a little high, but otherwise they were pretty positive.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
speaker installation

One semi-significant and one minor issue I can forsee with it is that it that system would put you right in to the SM class in autoxes (and many who modify the suspension do more autoxes and track days - cost issues;)) and that you have to have an air tank in the trunk and overall it adds some weight, how much I do not know however at this time.

On the other hand, it is a great setup for minimal compromises if you are more in to track days than street driving.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the website and article say 30 lbs distributed around the vehicle. So go on a diet ;)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That is roughly 7 lbs "unsprung weight" per corner. I don't know about you, but that is hard to swallow for me when I am trying to find appropriate rims that will give me 3-4 lbs weight reduction per corner.

For most, it really is not a big deal I think; and the overall it is a great system (not that I have used it before). It should more than satisfy most drivers that can afford it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think that the system would increase unsprung weight much, if at all. The system adds 30 pounds to the car but that would include the air tank, compressor, controller/manifold/flux capacitor, air hoses, fittings, etc. I would guess that these ancillary pieces are what add the majority of the weight. It would be nice to see a comparison of the 4 struts with top and bearings showing the differences between stock, praxis, dms, h&R, and whoever else is out there currently.

I know it is not a direct comparison but I have switched a couple of my mountain bikes from coilover rear shocks to air shocks and have seen shock weights drop from around 460 grams to about 190 grams. I must also say that they feel different on the bike and will probably behave accordingly in the car. The spring over shock body design is much heavier but feels very nice and linear. The air sprung systems tend to feel a little soft (read: comfortable) initially but quickly ramp up the rates. I have noticied that air shocks in general are very hard to bottom out.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
onemoremile said:
The air sprung systems tend to feel a little soft (read: comfortable) initially but quickly ramp up the rates. I have noticied that air shocks in general are very hard to bottom out.
This very progressive rate is what I would be concerned about. I am looking for some linear rate springs for my STi so that I can optimize for autoX. The Praxis sounds too good to be true, which I am always wary of. If airbag systems were the shit I would expect formula 1 to be using them instead of Penske coilovers. :wink:

·
Registered
541 Posts
The beauty of the system is not the fact that it's comparable to coilovers in the track setting (even though it is, according to the article). It's the 3 settings. Obviously F1 cars have no need for a "touring" mode. But being able to adjust ride height, spring rates, AND damping is pretty cool in my book.

Besides, F1 might very well be using something like this if it weren't for the weight penalty and the lack of development. But I don't think they're inherently inferior just because it's not a coilover.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
FSelekler said:
That is roughly 7 lbs "unsprung weight" per corner. I don't know about you, but that is hard to swallow for me when I am trying to find appropriate rims that will give me 3-4 lbs weight reduction per corner.

For most, it really is not a big deal I think; and the overall it is a great system (not that I have used it before). It should more than satisfy most drivers that can afford it.

The extra 30 pounds of weight isn't much to worry about at all. The reason lighter rims can make a difference is not just because there will be less weight on the car, it's because the extra weight of the rims has more rotational mass, which has a much greater effect than just the fact that they weigh that much. In fact, when you're comparing wheels, it is important to know how the weight is distributed across the wheel. Extra weight closer to the center won't mean nearly as much as weight near the edge. So you could have two wheels that weigh the same ammount while one wheel would be more efficient than the other.

Remember how when you were a kid you'd spin on a merry-go-round and if you went into the center it didn't feel like you were spinning very fast at all? Kinda like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts