IW STi Forum banner

361 - 380 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. R205 Rear Underspoiler

Normally when i travel i never check a bag, but on this trip back from japan i had no choice, this one was ~ 5 feet long...:D
Image Link

It was worth the wait in SFO as i saved a bunch of shipping $$$s to get my R205 rear underspoiler back home. Only cost me 3 bux for a roll of "Fragile, don't hurt me" tape to seal up the box:cool:

Install was easy, just remove the rear bumper as others have described, then attach the supplied brackets. LH fitted fine, RH needed some dremel work to get it to fit OK to the USDM bumper beam support.

One thing i found with the bumper off, there was significant rubbing of the bumper on two areas of the body highlighted below
Image Link

Its almost as if a protective piece was missing or something, after wiping the rubbing was down to the metal, really not good.
Image Link

I cleaned up & painted the areas, and attached some thin foam material to the bumper to avoid further damage after re-install...

Some pics after install, and after giving the car a wash...
The spoiler looks really good back there
Image Link

Image Link

Image Link
how do you like the splitter?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #364

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think it looks great, very happy with it, think it finishes the rear of the car off nicely

i got mine from RalliSpec, but its available more readily now, search for p/n 34620FE120
34620FE120: PIPE AY COOLER

Cheers:tup: its been a fun 6 years, still not bored with it:D
My man, thank you so much, Im glad you still have it..
Besides looks, you dont think the splitter does anything functionally right?
also is this splitter a rep or genuine, I had mine ordered from japanparts
and they labeled it as a r205 style, but the part number is STI. hmmnnn

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
My man, thank you so much, Im glad you still have it..
Besides looks, you dont think the splitter does anything functionally right?
also is this splitter a rep or genuine, I had mine ordered from japanparts
and they labeled it as a r205 style, but the part number is STI. hmmnnn
I believe it will provide some functionality for downforce at the rear, based on the inverted wing shape, just probably not going to be anything normal folks will be able to detect

The part i got is def. genuine, as i bought it from Subaru Tachikawa.
Only the STI part is available for regular sale, like the one i got & the one Japanparts will have.

The only difference is the STI part has the teeny STI logo in the center of the splitter, the R205 part was completely blank. In all other respects (construction, color, etc) its the same piece.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. 15mm Spacers all round

S'poreSTI, have you noticed any change in a steering feel by any chance?
OK, so after a week or so of driving, i can say the spacers def changed the steering feel, it feels slightly less responsive on the initial turn of the wheel compared to stock offset. after that it seems to handle as normal, no issues felt. I think its something that anyone would get used to, but still an ongoing test.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Finally decided on my wheels/tires setup, at least for now
Picked up these from TireRack, Bridgestone RE970AS, 245/40-18

Mounted on the 18" powdercoated BBS, look pretty beefy for an AS tire, and they do ride & handle very well in the dry. Bought them more for use in the winter/ rain season, just had them on the car for a week to scrub them in.

Mounted the Blizzaks on the 17" powdercoated BBS

And kept the worn RE-01R's on the original gold BBS, should be good for another summer yet

Pictures during the big wheel cleanup / sort-out the other day

Not how i store them...:lol:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Nothing more exciting than new wiper blades...:rolleyes:

Well needed, the crap ones the dealer put on about a year back were useless in the recent rain, horribly smeary. these new ones work great!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. 2015 steering rack.

Plenty of details on the rack & in the main thread, but i finally got my new 2015 STI steering rack installed and sorted.:tup:
Works great, and no warning lights!

Rack arrived in a big-ass box, plenty of packing material to keep it safe

Right p/n on the box

and on the rack itself

Pictured with the superpro bushings and the cusco brace kit

Pre-installed the bushings at home

Then let the pros at Garage1 Auto figure the rest out

Then to Auto Innovations for the alignment, time to enjoy...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
How is it?!?!?!
Well after a couple of days, i gotta say its a pretty nice mod, really changes the way the car feels. Steering response is much better, and definitely less input needed to make the car turn.
A lot of mods make only small changes to the car, some barely noticeable, but this new rack is definitely up there in terms of "transformative change"
My top 5 things i felt made really big changes to the feel of the car, in no particular order
1) JDM Pink Springs
2) Stg2+E85 (tough not to notice this one:D)
3) Carbotech XP brakepads
4) GT-Spec wheel
5) 2015 steering rack

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Well after a couple of days, i gotta say its a pretty nice mod, really changes the way the car feels. Steering response is much better, and definitely less input needed to make the car turn.
A lot of mods make only small changes to the car, some barely noticeable, but this new rack is definitely up there in terms of "transformative change"
My top 5 things i felt made really big changes to the feel of the car, in no particular order
1) JDM Pink Springs
4) GT-Spec wheel
5) 2015 steering rack

I will be up in the Bay in the next few weeks visiting Evan (EvanSTI) and a few buddies from college. Let's grab some beers. I wana check out the rack too. (.) (.) :tup::tup::tup:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I just drove this car and can confirm everything S'PoreSTI says! Great mod. Really really noticeable. And I'm pretty insensitive person too. :)

1) JDM Pink Springs
4) GT-Spec wheel
5) 2015 steering rack

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
I will be up in the Bay in the next few weeks visiting Evan (EvanSTI) and a few buddies from college. Let's grab some beers. I wana check out the rack too. (.) (.) :tup::tup::tup:
Sounds good:tup:, PM me with more details when you know your schedule.
I sometimes have to fly off to Asia at the drop of a hat (last week was in Korea for a 1hr meeting:lol:), but i'm hoping to be around here for a few weeks, next week for certain.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
gonna get it?
wwrx solved his steering issue by getting an Evo :lol:

We back to back tested my STI with his Evo, and the verdict is the Evo still takes it by a nose, just a tiny bit sharper & better feel that the new STI rack.
but now its close enough not to feel like we are missing out

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
Cleaned up the area where my old p/s cooler lines had been seeping. New lines were installed along with the rack, but finally got the time to break out the scrubbing bubbles & jetwash & clean it all up

Also got the spacers back on, happy to find there is almost no difference in the feel with/without them. with the old rack there was a noticable difference with spacers installed, kind of a vague feeling around center.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Martin, if you dont mind me asking, how much did the 15 STI rack run you installed and OTD?

Also, what shop does all your powdercoat work?

361 - 380 of 487 Posts