IW STi Forum banner

281 - 300 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Group N p/s cooler

Got the p/s cooler core installed today, but will leave it unattached for now until after Xmas & a road trip are done.
I chose this Group N part because i like the way the hardlines extend back into the engine bay, makes the hose routing simple. It came with hoses attached (see above post) but they are specific to the 07 models and dont connect to anything on the 08+. Still, should be simple to replace the stock return line with a few lengths of hose. Install was easy, just had to remove the bumper & passenger headlight to get it in

Installed from front. Bolts nicely to the headlight mount & the center rad support

Lines snake under the headlight.

Lines in the engine bay, ready for hose. Need to drill/tap hole for 3rd mounting bracket visible here

With the bumper back on, really stealth appearance

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Group N p/s cooler

Got the p/s cooler hooked up today, replaced the stock return line with 2 lengths of hose to the cooler. Plenty of options to run the hose, decided on the config below to look as stock as possible and give the hose large radius turns to avoid kinking.

the lines do get warm when the car is running, surprisingly fast, but after a long drive i was pleased to feel a noticeable temp difference between the hot inlet to the core and the cooler output back to the tank. no noise from the steering either, so it looks to be an effective fix

Also got the 3ft fuel line "stumble fix" done, and the maps adjusted accordingly. Its tough to see in the pic below, still looks stock, but there are 36" of hose curled up there to the left of the fuse box. Car certainly drives smoother now, very happy with that this finally gets rid of that ~2800rpm stumble

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Moar Gauges

Got the Maddad Oil pressure & EGT installed finally. Ultra series with white needles.
As much as i liked the stealth look of the JDM subaru gauges in the SMY cluster, i wanted more monitoring of the engine health. EGT tapped into stock header near #4, and oil pressure in the block, with an adapter to keep the stock idiot light functional.

So - its back to the 'mickey mouse ears' mounting for the Subaru gauges, just like i had way back in the day before the SMY existed. I kinda liked it then, so no problem to go back.

The Maddad's are mounted down in the SMY cluster, and overall it matches really well, not 100% perfect, but really close. I do like the peak feature on the Maddad's, and the different illumination levels for day/night operation, only downside i saw so far is the motor noise when they sweep is noticeable compared to the silent Subaru gauges, but that's a really trivial thing

Pics...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Moar Gauges!

Who installed the oil pressure/EGT gauges for you?
EQ Tuning, thats where i get pretty much all the work done on the car that i cant do myself.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

Got the Maddad Oil pressure & EGT installed finally. Ultra series with white needles.
As much as i liked the stealth look of the JDM subaru gauges in the SMY cluster, i wanted more monitoring of the engine health. EGT tapped into stock header near #4, and oil pressure in the block, with an adapter to keep the stock idiot light functional.

So - its back to the 'mickey mouse ears' mounting for the Subaru gauges, just like i had way back in the day before the SMY existed. I kinda liked it then, so no problem to go back.

The Maddad's are mounted down in the SMY cluster, and overall it matches really well, not 100% perfect, but really close. I do like the peak feature on the Maddad's, and the different illumination levels for day/night operation, only downside i saw so far is the motor noise when they sweep is noticeable compared to the silent Subaru gauges, but that's a really trivial thing

Pics...
Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

I'm sorry but there are so many better looking solutions than this...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #287

I'm sorry but there are so many better looking solutions than this...
Aaah, don't leave me hanging like that without a link to the better solutions.:)

I maybe biased cause I ran the Micky mouse ears for a good while, I still like that location a lot, but maybe a lower profile mount would look better.
I just don't see many other better solutions (& I've seen a lot in person), not a fan of the current a-pillar or center pod options that are available in the market

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

Aaah, don't leave me hanging like that without a link to the better solutions.:)

I maybe biased cause I ran the Micky mouse ears for a good while, I still like that location a lot, but maybe a lower profile mount would look better.
I just don't see many other better solutions (& I've seen a lot in person), not a fan of the current a-pillar or center pod options that are available in the market
I would run a boost gauge on the steering column then either 3 on the center dash (just use pods with tape done cleanly), JPM tri-center pod or A-Pillar.

I think the Ears look a bit goofy and I am personally not a huge cluster fan.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Is there a thread on the 3ft of fuel line stumble fix? I've never heard of that...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #295

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #296

After 2 weeks, the p/s system is still nice & quiet, though the temps here have been kinda low so i dunno for sure
In other news, ordered a new garage companion for the scooby...:D

likely won't arrive 'till April...:(

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. New garage companion.

A few weeks after its 5th birthday, gave it a wash & introduced it to its new girlfriend...:D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. New garage companion.

Not much on the scooby recently, been busy getting the MINI into shape

Wheels, Tint, Roof Vinyl & driving lights installed

But now that's done, back to the main feature;
a few bits arrived from Japan, a couple of replacement parts i needed & i couldn't resist adding the STI oil filler cap. With the new Yen rate & Japanparts discount it was almost reasonable :lol:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #299 (Edited)
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Dashcam installed

Blackvue DR500 installed, with a 64Gb micro SD card for longer lime recording. Easy to run the wiring down the A-pillar to where i plan to wire it into the fusebox with a few taps. for now its just plugged into the cig lighter.
Pretty stealthy hiding up there by the mirror, shouldn't be too obvious its there.
Just need figure out the G-force sensitivity settings, my suspension keeps triggering it to sense an 'accident':lol:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Dashcam installed

Blackvue DR500 installed, with a 64Gb micro SD card for longer lime recording. Easy to run the wiring down the A-pillar to where i plan to wire it into the fusebox with a few taps. for now its just plugged into the cig lighter.
Pretty stealthy hiding up there by the mirror, shouldn't be too obvious its there.
Just need figure out the G-force sensitivity settings, my suspension keeps triggering it to sense an 'accident':lol:
Could you run the 12V from the mirror? That should work unless you want it to record when the car is parked...

281 - 300 of 487 Posts