IW STi Forum banner

261 - 280 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Cusco H Brace & Ti Shims

Had a fun day today at Laguna Seca, Went from wet to dry, back to wet during the morning 3 sessions, then finished strongly with 2 dry sessions after lunch. In the morning i never quite knew where the grip levels were, but kept the wheels on the tarmac which is always good:tup:
Paddock pic, a nice trio of WRB

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Silver BBS

Picked these up from a fellow iwsti'er today, cleaned them up, they are mint condition, tires have loads of life left. Gold rims with the RE01-R's will become track wheels & these my daily drivers for the time being

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Silver BBS

Diggin the flex badge. I'm rockin the same one.
Thanks! like the signature you have:lol:

Here is a pic of the car today with the silver BBS installed, i'm really liking the way it looks, the silver is so light it has an almost white aspect to it, works really well with the WRB

·
Registered
355 Posts
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Rocking the Silver BBS now!

Love this thread. Subscribe

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #267

Love this thread. Subscribe
Thanks for the props!
small update, for the brake cooling i worked on the hose routing last weekend, basically there is loads of space to run the hoses thru the undertray, no need for intermediate ducts at all.

Holes are all cut & moulded with a heatgun, and i was planning to get the quantum plates installed this week, but then i broke a bone in my hand (non-car related) so everything is now on hiatus until i can drive stick again :(

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #268

Holy crap this thing is light...:tup:

Thanks to Sabrewings & the lightweight battery thread, pulled the trigger on this, cant wait to install once i get my hand out of the cast & working again.
Need to figure out a good stable mounting method, this thing is tiny compared to the lead-acid lump. will save a bunch of weight right up at the nose too, from~30lbs down to 5lbs:D

·
Registered
728 Posts

sorry about the SUPER late response......having a baby makes it hard to find time to do simple things like taking pics of your car....hahaha

heres how I cut the undertray to route the brake ducts:

here you can see it in place, the hole towards the front is oval so that I can pass the hose at an angle and not only avoid sharp turns but also stay as far away from the headers as possible

Pic of both holes:

Pic of the front oval hole. Note the slip cut at the top, this is so that I can remove the undertray without removing the hoses for oil change purposes:

last a pic of the rear hole, which is really just a semicirle so that the hose can come out of the back:

hope Im not to late and the pics actually help.....

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #270

sorry about the SUPER late response......having a baby makes it hard to find time to do simple things like taking pics of your car....hahaha

heres how I cut the undertray to route the brake ducts:

here you can see it in place, the hole towards the front is oval so that I can pass the hose at an angle and not only avoid sharp turns but also stay as far away from the headers as possible

Pic of both holes:

Pic of the front oval hole. Note the slip cut at the top, this is so that I can remove the undertray without removing the hoses for oil change purposes:

last a pic of the rear hole, which is really just a semicirle so that the hose can come out of the back:

hope Im not to late and the pics actually help.....
They are helpful, man, thanks a lot! :tup:

I got the duct plates installed today at a local shop, basically had the stock plate cut away & replaced by the quantum piece. Should be functional & still protect the various bushings from the rotor heat

Might finish up the hose routing tomorow, i had already done some prelim cuts very like the ones in the pics above, there is a ton of room for hose routing in that undertray

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Brake cooling done

I used a 6 foot length on each side, cut ~ 12-18" from each piece of the hose in the end to fit.

Overall it was a prety easy install, on the drivers side there is loads of room in the undertray to run the hose

On the passenger side the hose comes close to the headers, in particular the O2 sensor poking out. I had already ran the hose when i noticed this, so had to cut the undertray a bit more to lower the hose, now there is ~1" clearance.

In any case i had wrapped the part of the hose in the undertray with Aluminium tape, for a little better heat reflecting ability, you can see bits of it in some of the pics

The final part was to squash the hose at the exit points of the undertray on both sides to be more oval shaped, as in the pic below. This is needed to make sure the tire clears at full lock.

The zip ties that hold the hose to the front struts may not be 100% needed, but i wanted them there to keep it in place as much as possible. Im thinking about a better support method, something with maybe some padding to protect the hose long term. At the front, the zipties work great to hold the hose to the tow loops before it plugs into my ducts.
The view from the front does show the orange hose, i may give it a blast of matt black to be a little less obvious. Anyway the bumper needs to come off soon, i have a damaged passenger front fender liner needs to be replaced

Oh yeah, jackstands were in place throughout, as well as the jack. Cant be too careful when working under the car!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. 5lb battery & STI 'strutbar' tiedown

Picked up a fun part in Tachikawa last week, just got back & time to install along with the LiFeOh 5lb battery i picked up a while back

Looks good once its in, i had to make my own tie-down rods as the new battery is so freaking small. also used some foam supplied with it to make a cradle for extra support

Wide shot just to give some perspective on the size

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. 5lb battery & STI tie-down

Clean install! I need to clean mine up a bit. You liking the Shorai LiFePO4?
Thanks! & thanks for the correction too, i was calling it LiFeOH in another post, i blame the jetlag!:lol:
Battery seems to be great so far, even better at starting than the old lead-acid lump.
E85 always takes a bit of cranking to start, but i swear it fires up a bit faster now, even after overnight standing.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. New Floormats, eh

Where did you buy them?
There is a thread somewhere in the interior section, just search for Canadian & it should come up, there are a few dealers up there who will ship, hassle free

In other news, getting ready for a bit more monitoring of the engine health

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Re: S'poreSTI Redux - 08 WRB/Gold. Grp N p/s cooler

Santa came a bit early this year, just a small thing i have been wanting for a while now

Plan to install some time over xmas/new year, not the right season for it but sure it'll help come spring

261 - 280 of 487 Posts