IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 STI that has been awesome to drive since i got it. I found a place in town that specializes in Subaru’s and work on basically nothing but WRXs which is nice since there aren’t a lot of shops like that around here where I live. The main issue I have come across is that they have been very poor with communication (i.e. not telling me about certain charges until finalizing while I know the service is being done, overcharging on labor, not getting back to me about simple things like price quotes etc.) I’m getting a little tired of how inconvenient it is to take it there and I’ve been considering taking it to my old mechanic. Very honest about everything and very good with communication and will not go through with a job without telling me first ( I know this since they worked on my old car before)

however, I do know this STI is a completely different beast and I’m not entirely sure it’s something a shop Like that can handle. It feels likeIm in between a rock and a hard place.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any suggestions? Is the vehicle too specialized to take to a regular mechanic? I do plan on getting a protune in the future but that’s not for a while (already has a stage 2).

Thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts
You should be fine taking most anywhere, especially if it is a pretty stock car. If it was highly modified then you might want to use more specialty places that know what's going on with all the mods, but for a stage 2 car I'd say take it wherever treats you well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be fine taking most anywhere, especially if it is a pretty stock car. If it was highly modified then you might want to use more specialty places that know what's going on with all the mods, but for a stage 2 car I'd say take it wherever treats you well.
Gotcha. I appreciate the input. As far as mods go iIl would have to get more specifics but I know it has
Blouch 20g turbo
Stage 2 Cobb tune (built by Cobb in Texas)
Larger TMIC
Injectors

·
Registered
151 Posts
The main issue I have come across is that they have been very poor with communication (i.e. not telling me about certain charges until finalizing while I know the service is being done, overcharging on labor, not getting back to me about simple things like price quotes etc.) I’m getting a little tired of how inconvenient it is to take it there
This sucks and it seems like they are taking advantage of you. Any other info?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Gotcha. I appreciate the input. As far as mods go iIl would have to get more specifics but I know it has
Blouch 20g turbo
Stage 2 Cobb tune (built by Cobb in Texas)
Larger TMIC
Injectors
1st -- if it's actually a 20g turbo on a Stage 2 tune, that is something to address asap. That tune is meant for the stock turbo and stock injectors... not at all a good idea to run with a bigger turbo and bigger injectors. But if Cobb did all the mods at their shop then it probably has a good tune for that turbo.

If it were me, I'd feel good about taking the car to your normal guy for anything but motor stuff. And probably most motor stuff too. Need a timing belt done? Doesn't matter what turbo you have. If there's a specific issue with a modified part... that's where he might tell you to go to a specialty shop.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
First things first, a stage 2 tune on a car with a 20g and larger injectors is not a good idea. This car needs to be protuned. By Cobb tune do you mean an OTS accessport map?? Those are really designed for only cobb products and at stage 2 its just for down pipe.

As for shops, communication is key. It is very important to be up front and transparent with the customer at all times. It can literally be even just a simple text message away. Now a days it doenst have to be some big production pitch to upsell something mid way during a repair. Do you have a relationship with this subaru shop that they feel they can somewhat "preauthorize" some stuff during repairs? I think you really need to speak with them about this. After all, you are the one paying lol.

Bringing your sti to your normal trusted mechanic should be fine. Ask him upfront if he is ok with working on this car. He should be but its always nice to ask. If you are going in for general repair/maintenance, and or diag your trusted mechanic should be just fine. If you are going in for performance related work and or engine rebuild like block and pistons, then you may want a subaru orientated shop.

·
Super Moderator
8,077 Posts
I'll agree with the posts above...the STI isn't too special of a car that a general mechanic can't work on it but any time you introduce engine mods you have to know exactly what you're dealing with when it comes to mechanical work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts