IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is this different in the U.S model STI for 2008, my thoughts obviously are buying one in the future however I spotted this post in the journal section abouty a Spec R. I dont recall this as an option here in the states or did I miss it !! I attatched the members link below, its in the members Journal Section under RED STI / Spec R ....

Thnx Members & Yes I am brand new here to the site. Just trying to get more educated on the STI...

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/members-journals/120936-my-08-sti-spec-r-update-more-interior-pics.html

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
He's overseas... they get better seats and push button start!

Who knows if it will end up here. I would "guess" no, but that's as good as anybody can do... guess.

They always save the last little cool tricks, for overseas stuff... :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's overseas... they get better seats and push button start!

Who knows if it will end up here. I would "guess" no, but that's as good as anybody can do... guess.

They always save the last little cool tricks, for overseas stuff... :(
OK thanx, I didnt recall seeing those seats in the dealers car I sat in either, I thought the where all alacantara correct.

Let alone the push button start / stop. Is the U.S. spec car considered a "C" & the oversea's model considered the "R" ??

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
OK thanx, I didnt recall seeing those seats in the dealers car I sat in either, I thought the where all alacantara correct.

Let alone the push button start / stop. Is the U.S. spec car considered a "C" & the oversea's model considered the "R" ??
No, the USDM cars also have alacantara and leather 2-tone... they're just not as nicely bolstered, and aren't the same "Recaro's" that they get...

·
Registered
769 Posts
This would be great, but a retrofit might be tricky and at the very least expensive. On the Infiniti system if I'm not mistaken you need to integrate it with CANBUS and you need a bunch of different receivers/transmitters in the car, not to mention the one you need in your pocket. It worked well but would be a lot cheaper if installed at the factory.

Heres for hoping...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I can't imagine it would be difficult to install this button
Aftermarket wise it is and very expensive to boot. They're 2 completely different systems and all the wiring changes along with it. Push start isn't just nice cause you push a button to start it(which IMO isn't what I care about) but the fact that you never have to take your keys or keyfob out of your pocket. BMW went a step further and made the transmitter a credit card basically so it doesn't even take up space in your pockets. It's also another step in security and anti-theft.

·
I am a banana!
2,827 Posts
If some 18 year old can install an alarm system with 10 sensors all over the car that can remote start my car and detect all sorts of other things and do it all in a few hours....there is no way I believe that a button that was designed specifically for the STI would be that hard.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Is it any harder to just stick a key in a hole... and "twist" :lol:

The '08 isn't "raw" enough, yet the manual key turning is a problem... ;)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If some 18 year old can install an alarm system with 10 sensors all over the car that can remote start my car and detect all sorts of other things and do it all in a few hours....there is no way I believe that a button that was designed specifically for the STI would be that hard.
Yes cause you completely eliminate the wiring harness and need to change out the ECU or at least mess with it. It's a bigger job then you think it is to aftermarket it. If I had to make a comparison, any 18 year old can turn a bunch of bolts to take a transmission out(similar to one putting sensors on it) but he couldn't take that trans apart and do a rebuild- that requires ALOT more work- especially if it's an AT.

·
I am a banana!
2,827 Posts
Yes cause you completely eliminate the wiring harness and need to change out the ECU or at least mess with it.
Did you just make this up? Please cite one document that says you have to do all this. I am not saying you don't since I really don't know, but since you want to rant about what needs to be done you must have some intimate knowledge of installing a JDM Subaru button in a USDM Subaru car.

It's a bigger job then you think it is to aftermarket it. If I had to make a comparison, any 18 year old can turn a bunch of bolts to take a transmission out(similar to one putting sensors on it) but he couldn't take that trans apart and do a rebuild- that requires ALOT more work- especially if it's an AT.
Again...please prove that installing this button is similar in complexity as rebuilding a transmission.:lol:

Is it any harder to just stick a key in a hole... and "twist" :lol:

The '08 isn't "raw" enough, yet the manual key turning is a problem... ;)
I never complain about raw...I'd have all sorts of buttons and a sunroof if someone asked me.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Solovus, I dont think anyone is attacking you or your intelligence, just voicing their opinion. I do agree with ETOS though, OEM systems are heavily integrated in to not only the car, but its ECU (CANBUS for us) and from what I remember the Infiniti system has a separate computer to run the keyless side of things, linked in with the main ECU.

Integrating the OEM button above may be very difficult in the long run especially if none of the stuff is compatible with USDM parts. I don't think anyone actually does know.

I dont know about AM however, yes, a kid with an AM system could probably rig up something to make it work, but it would hardly be OEM.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The complication comes from security and very high tech stuff. Basically if all you wanted was to take the fact that you turn a key out of the equation then no it's not a hard job at all if it was an 05 or lower wrx or 04 and lower STi. All you do is take out the ignition, drill a hole, feed the wires to a button and bam, ya got push start. But anyone who as simply breaks your window will have your car- hope you'd have theft coverage lol. Now why does a real push make things complicated? Cause you'd have a key fob that you carry with you that sends out a signal only your car knows and it only knows that signal. When ya get close- the doors will unlock pressing a button on the handle. When you're 2 feet from the wheel i.e sitting down you're close enough to start the engine. This is done through the computer in the car(not always ECU but typically that or whatever the manufacturer decides to put it's programming). Essentially unless a thief has an ECU that he can mate with your car on the spot and over-ride the frequency(this is why manufacturers are starting to put this response in more then 1 computer) there's no way he can drive away with your car outside of mugging you. Security is why it's complicated. If it's not a concern then it's still an issue cause the computers still need that response from the chip in the key if it's an 05 sti or 06 wrx and newer. You'd need to leave your key in a box interceptor to have push start if you have a chipped key.

Now the part where you don't care about security any 18 year who knows what he's doing can do it for ya. The one with security is the problem. Satisfied or just gonna call BS on me again?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW I didnt mean to open up a can of worms on this push button start / stop feature. Perhaps Subaru will integrate threw the line up world wide some time in the future. Perhaps a thought already in the works for future production / cost efectiveness buy a supplier if done in bulk like most things purchased in bulk.

Thanx members..

·
I am a banana!
2,827 Posts
The complication comes from security and very high tech stuff. Basically if all you wanted was to take the fact that you turn a key out of the equation then no it's not a hard job at all if it was an 05 or lower wrx or 04 and lower STi. All you do is take out the ignition, drill a hole, feed the wires to a button and bam, ya got push start. But anyone who as simply breaks your window will have your car- hope you'd have theft coverage lol. Now why does a real push make things complicated? Cause you'd have a key fob that you carry with you that sends out a signal only your car knows and it only knows that signal. When ya get close- the doors will unlock pressing a button on the handle. When you're 2 feet from the wheel i.e sitting down you're close enough to start the engine. This is done through the computer in the car(not always ECU but typically that or whatever the manufacturer decides to put it's programming). Essentially unless a thief has an ECU that he can mate with your car on the spot and over-ride the frequency(this is why manufacturers are starting to put this response in more then 1 computer) there's no way he can drive away with your car outside of mugging you. Security is why it's complicated. If it's not a concern then it's still an issue cause the computers still need that response from the chip in the key if it's an 05 sti or 06 wrx and newer. You'd need to leave your key in a box interceptor to have push start if you have a chipped key.

Now the part where you don't care about security any 18 year who knows what he's doing can do it for ya. The one with security is the problem. Satisfied or just gonna call BS on me again?
If there is an ECU swap involved then I will concede that it would be unjustifiably involved to install. However, if an ECU swap is not required and all that is needed is additional modules then I maintain my point of it being easy...then again I think most things are easy and end up messing things up, but I learn enough to fix it myself. :D

Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If there is an ECU swap involved then I will concede that it would be unjustifiably involved to install. However, if an ECU swap is not required and all that is needed is additional modules then I maintain my point of it being easy...then again I think most things are easy and end up messing things up, but I learn enough to fix it myself. :D

Can anyone confirm this?
More likely then not- yes your ECU AND wiring harness would need to be changed. Without a doubt wiring harness big time if you want true push start with security. That's such a big deal you have no clue- it isn't like your brake light assembly wires- this is a huge and most of the time expensive set of wires and lay through the entire car and need to be routed. This is why again factory push start is so much more realistic cause it doesn't change for them since the car is bare and open. The only issue with it is cost justification to allow it on a certain line and what years to do it with. It all comes down to marketing and profit lines man. I trully hope the 09's will come with push start since I will most likely make it a project car from there.

·
I am a banana!
2,827 Posts
I was not aware that an ECU swap would be involved. I can not understand why there wouldn't just be a module similar to the immobilizer which already communicates with our keys and wherein the start button is only active if the immobilizer module says ok...the immobilizer already communicates with the ECU so I really can't understand the big problem. Then only thing I could possibly see as a problem is that the immobilizer and key must be very close...but that is an easy fix. Does anyone have any knowledge on the actual working of the Subaru keyless start/entry system or are we just going to keep speculating?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts