IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm using the thick adapters from Innovative Automotive with a pair of MB Quart Reference Series 6.5" components in the front. I notice the woofers have a lot of travel and with some decently bassy songs that hit the door panels and make nasty vibration noises. If I grab the map pocket when it happens that seems to give them enough clearance and they sound great (unbelievable actually!) Has anyone experienced this and come up with a cure? I know trimming the door panel is and option but there sure isn't much to trim. I thought about planing the mount but there is virtually no clearance behind my speaker so that's out.

TIA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Black STi

Dude,

I just did the exact same thing! I have a set of RCE 216 6.5" speakers and they hit the panels. I shaved one of the door panels but to no avail. I sent an email to Innovative Automotive but have not heard back yet. It is really annoying! I thought that maybe I could put the MB quarts cover on the speaker and have the panel bear on that instead of the cone. If that does not work my only other thought will be to mount a spacer block between the panel and the door frame.

·
Registered
17 Posts
going to court..

I just found a good post... Always do a search first. I guess the best way to handle this is with an additional spacer screw attahced right above the speaker.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Just got back into town and playing catch up at the shop. I just typed this out to a customer and thought it would be fitting to post it here as well. Our kits will be revised later this week with the added 'spacer'. Read it over and let me know if you have any questions.

First thing is to trim the backside baffle from the door panels. It is outlined in this pdf on the 2nd page. That should take care of the issue.

http://www.iaperformance.com/images/6.5_front_applications.pdf

If not then some people have unscrewed the top most speaker screw (see picture) by about 1/4". The door panel then rests agains this screw and keeps the cone from hitting it. Although the other 3 screws are sufficient to hold the speaker in place you can add a small nylon or metal (nut) spacer between the screw head and the speaker. This will then allow you to tighten the screw and still retain the needed spacing.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Deja Vu! This post was so similar to mine, I thought I wrote it for a second. :D I had similar problems, if you haven't already found my post:

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4564

The screw solved the rattling for me and now they're sounding as they should. Instead of backing out the speaker screw, I just drilled a new one into the spacer. Played some particularly bassy music, and screwed it in so that the woofer never came out farther than the screw. Then reinstalled the door panel and tested again. For some reason, it was happening more on the passenger side than the driver's side. (I also did the map pocket pull and noticed how much better it was sounding).

I think a bit of dynamat is going to be in order one of these weeks/months. With the panel off, you can really see the plastic wrap stuff billowing in & out. They do sound great, though!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I put my own screws into the bracket that extend about 1/4-1/2" to hold the door panel off the door. No more rattles.

-st

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Hey, just FYI for anyone that cuts the honeycomb material away and puts in a spacer screw and finds it vibrates WORSE...

Take off the door panels and see if it vibrates with the panels off. I did this and it was an eye-opener. I have the Kenwood KFC-XR61p components in front and the diameter of the speakers is small enough that you can only mount them to the IAPerformance spacers in two places. That, combined with the plastic mounting ring on the Kenwoods, was causing severe vibration that actually got worse with the loss of the honeycomb material.

So tonight I door the panels off again and remounted the speakers so that the top two holes directly mounted into the spacers. Then I made a flat metal bracket that bolts onto the speaker and the other end screws into the spacer, basically bridging the gap between the speaker's bottom mounting screw hole and the spacer. Now I am 99.9% vibration free! I can make it vibrate with EQ "LOUD" on (Pioneer DEH-P750MP premier deck, for those who have it and know what I mean) but for songs with that much bass I can just turn off the loud setting and they sound fine.

Took a little extra work, but it sounds good now and the door panels fit better again now that I moved the speakers up slightly in the spacers and removed the plastic speaker mounting rings that came with them that really weren't needed. Before the front of the panel towards the dash would pop out when the bottom was popped in. Now they fit like they did before the speakers were installed.

·
Banned
596 Posts
some foam tape would probably take out the last .1% of vibration :D

The kenwoods do have a very small cutout size. Smallest I've seen so far for a 6.5" speaker. 4 11/16ths I believe.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
AZ owners in need of isntall work read within

Yeah, I bought your spacers when I was originally going to go with another front speaker. But the Kenwoods do sound good and your spacers are obviously not at fault for the misfit with the Kenwoods. Thanks for the tip about the foam tape, I'll have to try that.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I should also add that I wrapped the heads of the screws in felt once I had the length right. It probably will rattle with just a bare screw head rubbing on the door.

-st

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Glad I found this post! I was starting to go crazy with that freaking buzzing noise!!

I'll be adding a screw this weekend.

·
Banned
596 Posts
in accordance with this I'll be retro fitting the new kits with a new spacing screw. Just trying to keep on top of things while making the customer happy :D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Innovative_Automotive said:
in accordance with this I'll be retro fitting the new kits with a new spacing screw. Just trying to keep on top of things while making the customer happy :D
Great idea! I ended up using 3 screws to stand it off at varrying distances, but I bet you could get it done with one. I didn't do too much trial and error since it was like the 20th time I had the door off : )

-st

·
Banned
596 Posts
I just installed a set of focal 165As into an sti running full range deck power. No vibrations at high db levels :D I did trim up the back side of the door first and tried to get the speaker as close to the glass as possible. In the end they took (1) spacer nut under each of the 2 lower screws, plus 2 spacers in the window track. I'm hoping to release a full write up very shortly oulining step by step how to install speakers and a deck into your Impreza.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you do for a living?

Hmm interesting...

I've been having decent luck so far with certain kinds of bass. I put a screw in the top with a rubber cap. I'm still getting some yucky vibration on the passenger's side as well, and pulling the map pocket doesn't seem to do it. So, I'm thinking something else is rattling. Anyone else having this? Maybe I need bottom ones as well!

TIA

·
Banned
596 Posts
one thing that I noticed yesterday is that the plastic was vibrating between the adapter and the door panel. I had orginally cut the plastic hole under sized so the adapter would hold it down. After retrimming it larger than the adapter the noise went away. An easy way to trouble shoot is to remove your door panel and turn on the radio. If the vibration noise is still there then it is most likely the plastic. Kind of like holding a blade of grass between yourt thumbs and blowing over it to make a vibration noise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts