IW STi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
The following is all opinion:

You could use those speakers without an amp, but it would be a waste of money. You could also get a better head unit that delivers a bit more RMS power, but that would also be somewhat a waste. The Reference components are actually a step UP the ladder from the Kappas. They SHOULD sound better, not worse. Not sure what information you need to tackle this problem. If it were me, I would use an Alpine head unit and Some Focal Polyglass speakers with a small amp or no amp. An amp can always be added later. You can use the Kenwood/Infinity combo, but for $50-60 more, I would go Alpine/Focal.

1 more thing. If you stick with the Kenwood HU putting out 22 watts RMS - AND you're never going to add an amp, I would use cheaper speakers. Pioneer TS-A1680R and TS-A1357 would work and be much cheaper.

·
Registered
167 Posts
NDMac said:
what happen if you are giving the speakers more than the RMS range they recommended?
You will blow them up.....the driver will go first.

RMS wattage is the # to pay attention to......with both the speakers and the amp. The MAX wattage # is often generous as per the manufacturer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not bad just tacky

I would personally not push more RMS power into speakers than they are spec'd for. I always underpower speakers. If speakers are spec'd for 100W RMS, I will push no more than 75W RMS into them. I find that speakers tend to distort when pushed to the limit.....as will amps. I like clarity....and the speakers will last longer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts