IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in a speaker dilemna guys....

i dont know if i want to go with the infinity kappa componnents 6 1/2 up front and 2-way 5 1/4 in the back.... i dont want to get an amp so i was wondering how these would sound with just a head unit (Kenwood KDC-MPV6022 22 watts rms)?

i dont want to shell out too much money for an amp so should i just go with maybe the reference series? it'll require less wattage...\

do the references sound alot worse or what?

im very confused on what to do and if i had more information to tackle this problem that would be awsome...im such a speaker newb, and hoping more knowledgable people could give me a little advice on what to do... THAnKS!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The following is all opinion:

You could use those speakers without an amp, but it would be a waste of money. You could also get a better head unit that delivers a bit more RMS power, but that would also be somewhat a waste. The Reference components are actually a step UP the ladder from the Kappas. They SHOULD sound better, not worse. Not sure what information you need to tackle this problem. If it were me, I would use an Alpine head unit and Some Focal Polyglass speakers with a small amp or no amp. An amp can always be added later. You can use the Kenwood/Infinity combo, but for $50-60 more, I would go Alpine/Focal.

1 more thing. If you stick with the Kenwood HU putting out 22 watts RMS - AND you're never going to add an amp, I would use cheaper speakers. Pioneer TS-A1680R and TS-A1357 would work and be much cheaper.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Maybe those Pioneer speakers you recommended are further up the food chain from the ones I installed in our daughter's car (run off an entry level JVC head unit), but the ones we used sounded very thin and tinny. Could be that they are severely underpowered. We just weren't too impressed at all. Just thought I'd share! (Then again, it was still an improvement over the 12 year old speakers they were replacing!)

Randy

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Psycho put it pretty good. I would not waste the money on high end speakers if you don't plan to run an amp. Now if an amp is a real good possibility down the road then go for some good speakers. Rule of thumb, make sure you are giving the speakers at least the RMS they recommend. I think the Kappas can handle a couple hundred watts with no problems.

·
Registered
983 Posts
How do you have your car washed?

what happen if you are giving the speakers more than the RMS range they recommended?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
As long as you don't go above the max the speakers can handle they will be fine. They will sound a lot better going above the RMS. A good component pair of speakers like the Kappas can handle over 200 watts each so it would be tough to go over what they can handle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
NDMac said:
what happen if you are giving the speakers more than the RMS range they recommended?
You will blow them up.....the driver will go first.

RMS wattage is the # to pay attention to......with both the speakers and the amp. The MAX wattage # is often generous as per the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
It depends on how hig above RMS you go. It will not necessarily blow them. If the RMS is 90 watts and you run 120 or so I would not worry about it especially with the Kappas. Now giving them 300 would definitely be pushing it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm not possitive on this, but isn't something like you should run a little over rms, but just watch the volume, as in make sure your speakers are not disstorting, even a little.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not bad just tacky

I would personally not push more RMS power into speakers than they are spec'd for. I always underpower speakers. If speakers are spec'd for 100W RMS, I will push no more than 75W RMS into them. I find that speakers tend to distort when pushed to the limit.....as will amps. I like clarity....and the speakers will last longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts