IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my front woofers yesterday. When I installed them, I wrapped some clear plastic tarp that I got from the hardware store around the back of the speakers. I made sure that is was not pressed up against the speakers and that there was some room for air to circulate.
I also left the bottom third of it open so that condensation would not collect inside.

My question is: was this a bad idea? The ultimate goal is to protect the speakers from moisture but a friend of mine also brought up the point that speakers get pretty hot and could possibly melt the plastic if it came in contact with it. What do you guys think?

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
sounds like you should inspect them after your next long trip of using the speakers to make sure the plastic hasn't melted.

other than that probably can't hurt to have a little extra protection in case of hitting deep water or traversing small gullies. lol!

:D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
simon13elmont said:
Just installed my front woofers yesterday. When I installed them, I wrapped some clear plastic tarp that I got from the hardware store around the back of the speakers. I made sure that is was not pressed up against the speakers and that there was some room for air to circulate.
I also left the bottom third of it open so that condensation would not collect inside.

My question is: was this a bad idea? The ultimate goal is to protect the speakers from moisture but a friend of mine also brought up the point that speakers get pretty hot and could possibly melt the plastic if it came in contact with it. What do you guys think?
You should check with the speaker manuf. I would guess it depends on how much volume you allowed for air.

-st

1 - 3 of 3 Posts