IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm going to take a chance and have the stereo installed at BestBuy, but I would like to install the speakers myself, and with alittle help from those of you that have already done this. Is there a trick to pulling the door panels off? And is there any type of special mounting hardware needed for the install? Can someone help me out here?

·
Registered
24 Posts
i would avoid Best Buy because most shops don't really car how they treat your car. They scratch it, forget screws, etc. It takes time and patience which often I lack but I think it is well worth it to do it yourself.

check this site out for all of the spacer adapters you need.

http://www.iaperformance.com/catalog.asp?action=subaruCatalog&catalogArea=1

For the door panels you must first remove the handle bezel (pop it off from the inside top using a knife), then take the screw out from inside the door handle, remove the door handle with the window controls on it, remove the screw underneath this handle, remove the corner piece up by the side view mirror, pop the door panel off from the bottom and move upwards. Hope this helps. If you need more info please let me know

·
Registered
136 Posts
do not take your car to best buy please.... they'll screw up your car... omg I'll offer to give you STEP BY STEP PICTURES. Headunit and speakers! Just lemme know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I had my stereo installed and I am very impressed by the work done at BestBuy or aleast that one install tech. Got the car back and everything looked good, no damage anywhere. But before the install I let the technician know that I just bought this car and that I wanted to make sure it would be in good hands. Believe me, I was sweating from start to finish. Anyway, I think to save me from an early heart attack I will install the speakers myself.

Lazy4znobi, Can you post the instruction you have?

·
Registered
14 Posts
check out:

www.subaruparts.com

They have install instructions in pdf format for the speakers. The instructions include text & pictoral descriptions of how to remove the door panels & HVAC trim.

The instructions are located with the 2003 Impreza audio products.

·
Registered
376 Posts
anyone know where the crossover goes? i got the component infinity kappas, comes with tweeter, woofer, and the crossover. do i mount the crossover in the door?

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
The door is about the only place to mount it unless you feel like running more wires through the door grommets. :D

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
yxan2 said:
depending on how big your cross overs are, my are mammoth so they were mounted under the rear deck
Wow, that's a pretty far distance in terms of wire run. Depending on the guage of your wire and the quality of terminations, your impedance will be affected. On paper this will affect your frequency response, but in real life it _may_ be negligible.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't know if this is like the right way or not but I zip tie'd my kappa crossovers inside the doors about 2 inches towards the rear of the car from the speakers...

I have fairly big hands but was able to coax the zip ties thru the crossovers and then thru two holes in the door panel.

Seems to have worked well... No rattles and no worrying about where to put them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts