IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you didn't install speaker baffles. I'm afraid you might need to.

I was driving my car around the Bay Area in the middle of an install. My left door panel was off and there was no speaker. I had to go out before I had a chance to finish the install.

When I finally get home I take a look inside the door and what do I see? Moisture. And lots of it it was collecting in droplets around the structural brace that runs horizontaly inside the door, on the outer door panel, and if I left my hand long enough in the speaker well I could feel drops of water hitting it. I was in apalled.

Problem is I had some baffles but I didn't install them because part of the mechanism that puts up the windows kept cruching into them. But after seeing all that moisture I was like I don't want that on my speakers! So I came up with this solution: if I get a standard pair of baffles and reverse them the shape of the cup changes so that it is more rounded instead of cylindrical that makes it so that the window mechanism clears the baffles.

Any opinions? Has anyone else contemplated this problem? Anyone find a cleaner solution?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aw c'mon guys, someones got to have some feedback, an opinion, a criticism. I *think* this is an important issue. I'm heavily invested in my speakers and I don't want the things to go sour on me after only a year of use. But maybe I'm worrying about nothing at all. I just want to know what you guys did, or did not do to protect your speakers from the elements.

Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here is half of the mod.

I haven't finished my speaker install yet, but I've ordered a XTC baffles from partsexpress. You can get them at Crutchfield too. If the baffle stick out too far, can't you just roll the edge out to make the 'cup' smaller? Crutchfield also sells a slim variety of the baffles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where to get oil filters?

I thought of that but it just doesn't work. I also have a set of XTC baffles that I got through Crutchfield. It doesn't work because even if you compress the baffle the arm for the window mechanism still hits the baffles. Do it two or three times and it starts to tear the thing up. What you need is a smaller radius at the bottom of the cup. You can get this if you reverse the baffle I think I'm going to stick to that.

I wish I did't have to worry about this but it rains hard and plenty in the bay area and I don't feel like coughing up money for a new set of speakers every year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts