IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting an alpine 9813, which gives 60 watts per channel. I am also looking at the Alpine MRV-F340, which gives 65 watts x 4. I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy the $400 4 channel amp, or just stick with the head unit for powering the speakers. The guys at ultimate electronics (formerly audio king) think that i will get a little better quality out of the amp setup, but i don't know if it's worth the extra $400.

I'm using 6.5" alpine type r components in the front, and 5 1/4" alpine type r coaxial speakers in the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I have always heard that watts coming from an amp will be cleaner sounding than the watts from the headunit. I also heard that your speakers will not actually get the full watts claimed from the headunit, so at least with the amp you know you will be getting 65 watts per channel instead of maybe 30 watts from the headunit.

·
Registered
411 Posts
mutatedfrog205 said:
I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy the $400 4 channel amp, or just stick with the head unit for powering the speakers.
I'm have the Alpine 9815, which is 60Wx4, that is powering 6.5" fronts and 4" rears and it sounds great. I wouldn't suggest getting an amp unless you are planning to install subs.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The electronics used in the amps are cheap. Good power supply components are somewhat more expensive and a lot heavier. While the HU amps may suit some they certainly are not as good as a dedicated amp. The ability to supply _clean_ power during moments of high bass output will be questionable. They just do not have the room for the large components that are suited for handling large power hits.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It really is up to you. I happen to enjoy quality music so it's a no brainer for me. If you think you'll like the HU by itself..give it a try. If cash is no issue..get an amp (or amps). Just do what you need to do to be happy.

·
Registered
759 Posts
mutatedfrog205 said:
yeah, i forget to mention that I'm getting subs, and i'm having a dedicated amp for those. So do you think I should spend the money and get the amp because it'll give cleaner sound?

Any other opnions??
I have the 9815 and it sounded kind of weak with a JL 12" sub powered by a JL 250/1. I bought a JL 300/4 used on eBay for $300.00. The difference is night and day between the head unit amp and a GOOD dedicated one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
maybe i will get the 4 channel amp then, but has anybody bought that alpine one that I mentioned earlier, or an alpine amp in general? I've heard that alpine is pretty much great for everything, but i haven't heard very much about how good their amps are.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Re: Not bad just tacky

i have an alpine head unit, 7995, and 2 alpine amps, the 80X2 for the front and the 50X2 for the back. I also have infinity speakers. Sounds great, but i need some dynamat for the front.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
mutatedfrog205 said:
maybe i will get the 4 channel amp then, but has anybody bought that alpine one that I mentioned earlier, or an alpine amp in general? I've heard that alpine is pretty much great for everything, but i haven't heard very much about how good their amps are.
For what it's worth, I'm buying the Alpine MRV-F540 (80X x 4) and the Alpine MRV-T320 (80W x 2) to get power to my 4 doors and rear deck. If you have access to an audio store I suggest listening to as many amps as you can. Audio is very subjective as everyones hearing is different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts