IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local subaru dealer today to ask about spark plugs. I asked when they would have to be changed and the girl told me that the car has platnium plugs, which don't have to be changed for 100,00 miles. I know that this can not be right, 100,000 miles?! I am currently cobb stage 2 and was thinking about going with a colder plug. I am not sure the dealership will be cool with my TBE so maybe I should just go to a speed shop and have cold plugs put in. You guys have any opinions on what type of plug I should use?

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I would even say you might want to change your spark plugs at 50k. I'm planning on doing mine at 30k though, just to be safe and because I want to go a little colder.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Samdoggturbo said:
Do you guys think that colder plugs would benefit my performance? If so what plugs would you suggest?
No, I don't think it will. The Cobb maps are designed to run with the stock plugs (or equivalent). I put colder plugs in the day before I was tuned and they hurt the performance and gas mileae of the car. Colder plugs are not a "mod."

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
On a stock engine they might just last that long. But follow the manual and its recommended service intervals while stock. Once you start modding and are running off the shelf maps from cobb or a safe protune, you might get some carbon build up on the plugs from the fact that most turbo tunes run rich for safety. I would check the plugs every 15,000 miles and replace only when they are degraded. But on stock maps follow the manual.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
The plugs aren't that difficult to change yourself ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Samdoggturbo said:
I went to the local subaru dealer today to ask about spark plugs. I asked when they would have to be changed and the girl told me that the car has platnium plugs, which don't have to be changed for 100,00 miles. I know that this can not be right, 100,000 miles?! I am currently cobb stage 2 and was thinking about going with a colder plug. I am not sure the dealership will be cool with my TBE so maybe I should just go to a speed shop and have cold plugs put in. You guys have any opinions on what type of plug I should use?
They're actually Iridium plugs from the factory, not platinum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts