IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the dealership to remove a fuse when i use the spare tire so i don't screw up the differentcial. that way it makes the car FWD instead of AWD. If we were drag racing would we go faster if we had it AWD or FWD? I imagine FWD would give us a slower start but a faster time. AWD will give us a faster start but a slower time. Any inputs?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I really don't see how that could help. 2wd cars have less drivetrain loss because they have less drivetrain. Just becayse you don't actually turn 2 of the wheels doesn't mean that you have removed any loss from the drivetrain. On the contrary, you lose the ability to put power to the pavement at all possible points. The only possible thing you might help would be the cluth or tranny by being able to spin the tires on the launch. Of course, that's a big speed loss compared to what you get with the AWD.

I would check in the manual anyway, just to double-check what your dealer is saying. It sounds fishy that a fuse could have all that much impact on your differentials. Plus, the spare is nearly the same diameter as the stock tires, which minimizes the negative impact on the differentials in the short period of time that you should ever use it.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I believe that fuse is only used for cars with automatic trans. Do we even have a fuse like that? I neve looked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FWD sucks for racing. First theres the fact that when your car is accelerating the weight naturally shifts back, lessening the amount of weight pressing the front (driving) tires to the ground. Second, torque steer would be worse with FWD than AWD. Plus AWD is just more fun. :D

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
I believe that fuse is only used for cars with automatic trans. Do we even have a fuse like that? I neve looked.
There is no electrical way to make the STi a fwd car. the only way to do this is to physically remove the propeller shaft (driveshaft) that goes to the rear differential.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
What the heck kinda question is this???

You might be told to remove the fuse for the DCCD when using the spare so that the differential stays open, but I don't even see the need for that. The spare is full sized. I still don't think it would be a good idea to throw the diff in full lock with the spare on, but.....

What would using the spare and FWD have anything to do with each other??? I'm baffled by this one....

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
All Subarus with an automatic trans come with a place to put in a fuse that puts the car in FWD mode. You are suppose to use this when using a spare and maybe for other reasons, I don't remember. Subarus with manual trans do not have this. I think it is something to do with manual trans subarus being more of a mechanical AWD system and automatics not. My old automatic Legacy had a power split of I think 90 front 10 rear until it sensed slipping, then it would transfer the power. Manual trans have a 50/50 power split all the time. I am pretty sure the STi has no such place for a fuse that is why I was wondering why the salesman said to do that.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
yeah....didn't say that quite right. Full sized as in it is big enough to clear the calipers and it is the proper running diameter. Not full sized per say.... ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts