IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noisy valvetrain?

Hi , I how's everyone? I recently replaced the OEM seats on my STI with Sparco seats. The Airbag light came on. Does anyone know if theres a way to turn it off or somehow bypass it. Thanks
MIke

·
Registered
392 Posts
MikeTBF said:
Hi , I how's everyone? I recently replaced the OEM seats on my STI with Sparco seats. The Airbag light came on. Does anyone know if theres a way to turn it off or somehow bypass it. Thanks
MIke
is the airbag light on even when you drive?
was there a wire attached to the STi seats?

i'm not really sure if taking the STi seats off would affect the capabilities of the SRS airbags.

cause for Hondas, there is a wire that is connected underneath the stock seats that acts as a sensor for the seatbelt light. obviously reminding you to buckle up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
nice, what kind of sparco seats did you get? how much did you pay for them? are there side-impact airbags on the stock seats? maybe they knock off the sensor? i have no knowledge for that, just askin

·
Registered
18 Posts
The airbag system is throwing the light because it sees a problem as you have unplugged two of the cars airbags. Generally you can figure out the resistance that they placed on the system to tell the airbag system that they were plugged in and in working order. I have not had to do this on a Subaru at our shop yet but you could try calling Sparco. One of the guys there has Sparco Torino's in his WRX and I think that he was successful in getting the light to go off. Sorry, I do not know his name........

George

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Pretty much.....yeah. For all it knows, you airbags are disfunctional giving the 'WTF' light.

Call Sparco. They're the people who deal with seats and everything about seats 24/7.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi , Thanks for the replies. I originally installed the Sparco EVO 2 in Blue. I found out it's to big for the car. I replaced it with the black Roadsters . The driver side is easy to install .The passenger side is a little bit tricky because the shoulder area is too close to the pillars.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
MikeTBF said:
Hi , Thanks for the replies. I originally installed the Sparco EVO 2 in Blue. I found out it's to big for the car.
it was probably meant for the evo with its larger interior. :)

MikeTBF said:
I replaced it with the black Roadsters . The driver side is easy to install .The passenger side is a little bit tricky because the shoulder area is too close to the pillars.
hmm. i'd expect 'em to be symmetrical. guess not. are your seats adjustable; i.e. on rails to slide forward and back? if so, how is that handled; reused the stock setup or you have a custom setup? and what are you doing with your stock seats? might be nice to convert 'em to living room chairs for watching wrc. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just called sparco. It's funny they said to check the forums. I just need to install the right resistor to trick the computer. Does anyone know the right resistor ?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
oops, you mean "inflator", right? measure the resistance of the inflator; i.e. at the connector *on the seat*. (the side bags *sensors* are in the body somewhere else.)

from the service manual, it looks like the inflator connector is only 2pins which makes it trivial to find the right resistance. (i was worried it might be a >2-pin connector.)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i wondered about that. an ohm-meter does produce a voltage (if i recall correctly; my EE classes were ~20yrs ago), but i believe it's small. hmm. lemme check the manual...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
here's what i found. btw, i've got a DMM (digital multimeter) if you don't have one. about the test harness; i'll bet the only reason they require the harness is to protect the connector and pins to the airbag; it's acting just as an extension cord. if you mess up the pins on the harness connector, it's a cheap replacement. if you don't use the harness and mess up the pins on the airbag connector, a) you have to replace the airbag or b) you don't notice you've messed up the pins and the airbag doesn't go off when it's supposed to; gigantic liability.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow. I can't wait to get rid of that warning light.I was busy today Baking my headlights.

·
Registered
105 Posts
would the sparco EVO fit in the STi? i was thinking of either that or the REVs. EVO 2 is the big version of EVO right??

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Mmmm. .. can't wait to get my hands on an STi to throw my black Torinos in. :D

As far as sliders go (for whoever asked) you get the universal sliders from Sparco (one for each seat) then get the specified base brackets for the WRX. I would think that the STi would use the same seat mounting points as the rest of the WRXs, but just watch me be wrong, here. :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts