IW STi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s my personal Sti and the shops R&D project. Compound twin turbos. Currently is running around 15 psi very nicely. A few problems early on like a broken crank reluctor for the timing, but other than that, no real issues with the setup, the only thing left before real testing can begin is the installation of the inter chiller and dyno. Is currently setup for speed density and maf to help get the sd table dialed in then will be removing it, or keeping it idk. The build was designed from the outset as a complete drop in crate motor solution. Both turbos can remain attached for pulling and dropping in the motor as designed and tested. I am hoping for somewhere around 600 to the wheels on motor, has a 200 shot available as well.

Things to note:
-Low boost threshold with the 3584 spooling up pre 3k rpm, it gets into higher load ranges earlier than a vf48 or itself could normally.
-Kit adds about 25 lb to the up pipe so some support solution needs made before it goes on extended trips
-Almost no lag, it’s hitting 15 psi just pulling out onto the road. I think it would be dangerous to attempt road tuning it. The closest thing it reminds me of would the supercharged v8’s in some of the other cars I have worked on/driven
-Needs extended testing and better headers whether they be Killer B or some of my own if I have time. The UEL’s are not optimal.
-Needs better heat shielding by the firewall, will probably go with an aluminum belly pan heat shield for racing motorcycles like the ones I have used before.
-would like to incorporate a potentiometer into the MAP sensor so I can adjust fueling on the fly, or the IAT sensor if needed, may allow me to run super simple ve tables at the track when going for times if my schedule allows next year, this business owner thing is 110% time commitment with little left for my own projects. Hopefully find some good help by the end of the month to help out at the shop… If anyone knows anyone good in central pa please let them know or stop by yourself!
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas

Figured I would start a thread for the car. Twin compound turbos.

Build:
-Outfront Motorsports 2.5L new closed deck case halves bored .25 over
-Saenz X Beam Rods
-CP 9:1 pistons
-ARP inconel headstuds
-Cooper Ring
-BSP 10AN Billet Fuel Rails and PTFE line kit
-Compound fuel pumps 340 in tank and hardwired 044 inline.
-BSP 1700cc ev6 injectors w/billet top Hats
-Aluminati buckets and tgv risers
-Reversed intake manifold
-BSP compound turbo kit, 44 and 60mm wastegates
-Nice Import UEL’s
-Arashi Kuro 3584 1.04 AR
-Stock vf48
-Water to air intercooler
-Cobb AP v3
-NX Proton Kit
-AEM w/m v3 with 5 gallon tank

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What track work is this for? Road course? I'd be curious to see how you handle the engine bay heat from all this as well as IATs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the end if it makes it to the track probably 1/8th or 1/4 mile runs. Surprisingly IAT’s have always remained around 6 deg above ambient once the engine is warmed up and the water meth is active. Without it on the intake manifold heatsoaks and transfers to the exterior of the water to air intercooler… I have seen it into the 150* range. The water meth is ever so slightly after the AEM temp sensor, so it is not directly effecting it’s readings. The intake manifold is cool to the touch after highway driving/ripping around with the meth system active.
I have an order in now for a custom active interchiller so hopefully never have issues with heatsoak or iat’s above ambient and I can get rid of its trunk mounted radiator making it nearly 100% stock in appearance.

·
Registered
735 Posts
In the end if it makes it to the track probably 1/8th or 1/4 mile runs. Surprisingly IAT’s have always remained around 6 deg above ambient once the engine is warmed up and the water meth is active. Without it on the intake manifold heatsoaks and transfers to the exterior of the water to air intercooler… I have seen it into the 150* range. The water meth is ever so slightly after the AEM temp sensor, so it is not directly effecting it’s readings. The intake manifold is cool to the touch after highway driving/ripping around with the meth system active.
I have an order in now for a custom active interchiller so hopefully never have issues with heatsoak or iat’s above ambient and I can get rid of its trunk mounted radiator making it nearly 100% stock in appearance.
Oooo interchiller! Now that should make it crisp cold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Likewise then I decided to try and save a few pennies and set up the trunk mounted radiator setup which definitely attracts too much attention, so interchiller it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts