IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. It was one of those nights.

Last night I was out with a few of my friends in San Francisco in the STi. We parked the car in a parking garage and left it for a couple of hours.

We get back and everything is fine. Which I'm grateful for because I always worry about the car. We all pile into the STi and we're getting ready to leave. I see next to me there are a bunch of people getting into the car next to me...so I think it's time I should go before one of them tries to squeeze in and opens one of their doors into my car. The driver looks like he's waiting for me to pull out...he was.

But at that moment, for some unknown reason...a woman sitting in the back of the car decides to come OUT of the car right then at full speed! SMACK!!:eek::x

Yep...their rear door went right into my rear door.

Right now I'm thinking "FFFF******KKK!!!"...but I keep my cool. The people from the other car all look terribly guilty and come out of their car to inspect the damage with me. Yeah, they got me good. A pretty decent sized ding and a smudge of red paint on my WR Blue.

The story is pretty long after this, but I'll try to keep it short. Essentially, I spent about 15-20 minutes arguing with these people about what they did. They basically said this: "That dent could've already been there, how do we know that we did it?"...Their ignorance and stupidity began to make me irate. First of all, my car does not have a dent or a scratch on it. Period. So I then began to show them that as we pulled their door open, the dent and paint match up completely perfectly. The odds of them not doing that are about 1 in 3,000,000,000. They just won't buy it. Their argument was as follows: "Well if that's our paint on your car, then your paint should be on our car, but I don't see any blue"...yes, you're right. There's just no reasoning with irrational a-holes.

I think I'll basically just have to bend over and take it up the corn chute on this one. Hey, at least I've got insurance. :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
That's when I would have flipped out my cell phone and called the police and let them sort it out. I woudn't have wasted my time arguing with them, if they are going to deny they did it, arguing is usually a lost cause.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,039 Posts
f that.did you get their info?did you call the cops?did you follow them home.come on,don't tell me you gave up.get their plate?
if you didn't get anything,claim vandalism.then your rates won't go up.otherwise pay out of pocket and curse them the whole time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
removal of STi rear door handles?

1) You should have called the cops or gotten their insurance
2) u dont want to call YOUR insurance - first of all, u got DEDUCTIBLE, second, they would raise your rate @ the end...

WRX_STi_04 said:
Wow. It was one of those nights.

Last night I was out with a few of my friends in San Francisco in the STi. We parked the car in a parking garage and left it for a couple of hours.

We get back and everything is fine. Which I'm grateful for because I always worry about the car. We all pile into the STi and we're getting ready to leave. I see next to me there are a bunch of people getting into the car next to me...so I think it's time I should go before one of them tries to squeeze in and opens one of their doors into my car. The driver looks like he's waiting for me to pull out...he was.

But at that moment, for some unknown reason...a woman sitting in the back of the car decides to come OUT of the car right then at full speed! SMACK!!:eek::x

Yep...their rear door went right into my rear door.

Right now I'm thinking "FFFF******KKK!!!"...but I keep my cool. The people from the other car all look terribly guilty and come out of their car to inspect the damage with me. Yeah, they got me good. A pretty decent sized ding and a smudge of red paint on my WR Blue.

The story is pretty long after this, but I'll try to keep it short. Essentially, I spent about 15-20 minutes arguing with these people about what they did. They basically said this: "That dent could've already been there, how do we know that we did it?"...Their ignorance and stupidity began to make me irate. First of all, my car does not have a dent or a scratch on it. Period. So I then began to show them that as we pulled their door open, the dent and paint match up completely perfectly. The odds of them not doing that are about 1 in 3,000,000,000. They just won't buy it. Their argument was as follows: "Well if that's our paint on your car, then your paint should be on our car, but I don't see any blue"...yes, you're right. There's just no reasoning with irrational a-holes.

I think I'll basically just have to bend over and take it up the corn chute on this one. Hey, at least I've got insurance. :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
Yes, definitely call the cops. Maybe they had been drinking or had no insurance. Then they would have been completely screwed.
That happened to one of my route drivers at work. He was at an American Legion and some guy backed in to his delivery truck. The guy claimed my driver hit him, so just I called the police. The guy in the Caddy had to take a breathalyzer and he failed spectacularly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Friends wants to check out a white STi, anyone near?

amdmaxx said:
1) You should have called the cops or gotten their insurance
I dunno about your city, but here in Seattle they won't dispatch a patrol car to any accident with no injuries, or less than $1000 in damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly right. You can't go calling the police about a door ding. Really when it comes down to it, it's hardly visible. It's the principle of it that pisses me off. I did get their license plate number, however, before they bolted out of there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Post in your regional forums on Nasioc and ask for the local paintless dent repair guy. There's one in Arizona who is very, very good. My baby got dinged the third week I owned it (pretty bad too) and he fixed it up to where there's zero trace it ever happened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Yeah, the standard for our department in Washington, is that if the damage is less than $700, and did not happen on a public roadway then an officer is not required (and probably will not) take a report. I'm sure this is probably the same in most jurisdictions. However, if you tell the dispatcher that you are having a verbal confrontation with the other party and they won't give you their insurance info, then an officer will probably be dispatched, at least to mediate the argument and facilitate an info exchange. I'm not saying to exagerate, but there are ways to say things to get results. If they had given their info, I wouldn't have called, if they had continued to deny the obvious truth and fail to give me their info, definitely call the cops.

BTW, what finally happened, did they just walk/drive away or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
Failure_Drill said:
Yeah, the standard for our department in Washington, is that if the damage is less than $700, and did not happen on a public roadway then an officer is not required (and probably will not) take a report. I'm sure this is probably the same in most jurisdictions. However, if you tell the dispatcher that you are having a verbal confrontation with the other party and they won't give you their insurance info, then an officer will probably be dispatched, at least to mediate the argument and facilitate an info exchange. I'm not saying to exagerate, but there are ways to say things to get results. If they had given their info, I wouldn't have called, if they had continued to deny the obvious truth and fail to give me their info, definitely call the cops.

BTW, what finally happened, did they just walk/drive away or what?
This case would be less than $700, but how in the world would someone know they have less than just $700 in damage? Most people know practically nothing about cars.

RN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Evolution, FATT, PDA, or HPDE?

Hey, I appreciate all of your guys' inputs. I'm sure I'll get something worked out. And yes, they basically just drove off. They were yelling at me and telling me to "calm down" and not "have an attitude", though they were obviously the ones who needed the calming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
new header

Depending on where you live and the laws in your area, one of your best options at this point might to get an estimate on the damage and then file a case in small claims court.

Usually, a small claims case can be filed for a relatively small fee ($15 in my area). You can usually add the court costs to the amount of damages your seeking. If you havve the license plate, you should be able to get their name and address from there which is all you'll need to file the claim.

You may well end up with more hassel than it's worth for $500, but if it's the principal of the matter that bugs you, then it will be well worth it. I'm not a fan of using or abusing the court system, but small claims court was created exactly for cases like this.

To all the people that were saying to call the cops, well either they don't live in a major urban area, or they've never had an accident in a parking lot. In my experience, the police will not come to an accident on private property if there isn't an injury, or over $1000 in damage. If the other party refuses to give you their insurance information, or if they drive off you MAY be able to get a cop out, if they aren't otherwise occupied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: so i got some new wheels for my sti..............

You guys are making some really good points. I think I'll go take a picture of the damage and post it later. I'm no auto body pro, but I don't think it would cost a whole lot to fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. At least you confronted them and got a license plate number. I really doubt that the SFPD would send a car over for a ding, but who knows? Both times my STi got dinged, I wasn't around to see it or I would have busted out the tire iron and put some "existing damage" on the other cars. Well, now I'm "city-spec".

If your ding looks anything like mine (about the size of a nickel and has some paint of the other car on it but didn't go through my paint) then you're talking $175-200 for one of those paintless ding-king repairs. Definitely not worth getting the insurance company involved. I'll probably repair my broken windshield out-of-pocket, too. But that's another story...

A bummer to hear of any STi getting its virgin sheetmetal blemished. Hope it all works out you can get these jackasses to pay for what they did! :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
finally taking the stereo install plunge,have some questions

i have a question. if they claim they didn't do it and didn't know anything about it, why did they get out of the car "looking guilty" in the first place? if i were going to claim innocence, i wouldn't have gotten out to look at it for awhile. *shrug*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
Lightning said:
i have a question. if they claim they didn't do it and didn't know anything about it, why did they get out of the car "looking guilty" in the first place? if i were going to claim innocence, i wouldn't have gotten out to look at it for awhile. *shrug*
Because incompetency runs rampant.

RN
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top