IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month or so I've gotten a tap-tap-tap on cold startup which lasts for a couple seconds and goes away. On my 5.0, I'd say "lifter noise." I did not think much about it, just that "ah well, I guess it's not new anymore."

Well, today it tapped for about a minute. Goosing the throttle between 750-1500 RPM caused the tapping to disappear and reappear randomly. Very audible through the firewall, and outside the car (esp from driver side under the car), but not as much with the hood open.

Then while idling at about 750 RPM I got the squeal. Fairly low pitch, I have not the faintest idea what it could be. This squeal has happened perhaps a half dozen times in the past since I bought the car, but always at 1450 RPM (cold startup RPM before it starts to come down on its own), and touching the throttle to change the RPM would make it go away. Almost like a resonation is occuring about there with something that is perhaps loose. The first time I heard the noise the car had a thousand miles or so, now it has 21K.

Once it got warmed up a little -- about half way between dead cold and normal temp on the water gauge, and somewhere below 130* on the oil temperature gauge -- it went away, and did not return while the car was warm. When it's warm, it sounds entirely normal.

Any thoughts? My gut says valvetrain. I've heard rod bearings before, both on V8's and I4's, and this was too high a pitch, sounded a lot like a lifter to me. Perhaps part of the AVCS? Anything else I can look for or test myself to try and diagnose, or is this now a "drop it off at the dealer or PDX Tuning and open the wallet" kind of thing?

Dave

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
make sure u have oil my car did that when i didn't have any oil.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
STI_Mike said:
make sure u have oil my car did that when i didn't have any oil.
Oh yes, it's full. I check every Sunday, in fact I did my regular check this morning just before all of this happened.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
o ok thats wat happend to me i thought my tranny was done for but i just needed oil i felt like a retard.:lol:

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grrrr. PDX Tuning says it is coming from the valvetrain of cyilnder #3 (nearest the turbo). So much for something cheap to fix.

They're going to pop the valve cover and take a peek, and check tolerances & such. What we find there will determine the next step. As long as it is running fine when warm, I will probably opt to drive it until it blows, if it ever does. And then fix the head, drop in a Cobb stage 1 block and turn up the boost :lol:.

But first I may try to get the dealer to fix it under warranty. I'd like to see them explain to me how the downpipe could cause a valvetrain failure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rootus said:
Grrrr. PDX Tuning says it is coming from the valvetrain of cyilnder #3 (nearest the turbo). So much for something cheap to fix.

They're going to pop the valve cover and take a peek, and check tolerances & such. What we find there will determine the next step. As long as it is running fine when warm, I will probably opt to drive it until it blows, if it ever does. And then fix the head, drop in a Cobb stage 1 block and turn up the boost :lol:.

But first I may try to get the dealer to fix it under warranty. I'd like to see them explain to me how the downpipe could cause a valvetrain failure.
Sorry to hear that man. Did they say that is where the squeal is coming from?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10rtim said:
Sorry to hear that man. Did they say that is where the squeal is coming from?
No word on the squeal. I am not sure they've actually been able to reproduce that for themselves yet -- it has been intermittent.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Rootus said:

sounds like a good plan to me :lol: :tup: :tup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts