IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sneaking a peak at the 2004 Subaru Technicians Manual last night. It's basically all about the STI....becasue nothing like the STI has ever hit the US. It is a book (in a three ring binder) for Subaru Master Technicians printed with the sole purpose of educating the mechanics on STI mechanicals. Very interesting stuff.

The coolest peice of info I gleaned dealt with the computer controlled differentials (two of the three). There is a sensor built into the E-brake that will lock the rear differential when the E-brake is pulled, making it much easier for the car to drift. The manual even says the word "drift" when explaining the function. That's hot! I bet the salespeople never told you that!

Also of note, the STI already comes with a forged lightened balanced flywheel.......so you don't need to buy an aftermarket one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
new to the forum

King_Kang said:
I was sneaking a peak at the 2004 Subaru Technicians Manual last night. It's basically all about the STI....becasue nothing like the STI has ever hit the US. It is a book (in a three ring binder) for Subaru Master Technicians printed with the sole purpose of educating the mechanics on STI mechanicals. Very interesting stuff.
is that online!? :) i want one i want one!

King_Kang said:
There is a sensor built into the E-brake that will lock the rear differential when the E-brake is pulled
yep, i *think* we knew that; i think there was a thread about this a few months ago. thanks for confirming it however.

King_Kang said:
Also of note, the STI already comes with a forged lightened balanced flywheel.......so you don't need to buy an aftermarket one.
now that's new. thanks. ask you friend if that manual is available electronically; i.e. through techinfo.subaru.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TMK the manual is not available online. I was looking at a Subaru Master Tech's personal copy that he got this week in Atlanta at Subaru training.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
You know, scanners are really cheap these days. You can pick one up for way less than $50. Just pointing that out for no apparent reason. :wink:

This technician's manual makes me very curious. Sounds like it has the same info that's in the service manual, but it points out all the cool stuff that you'd only recognize by studying the specs very closely. Lightened flywheel? That's news to me!

Perhaps a slight confirmation -- I have a bit more trouble idling my STi up my driveway than I do my RS. Didn't really know why, but I guess the lighter flywheel might be stalling on the incline more easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
The only 93 octane in my area is 10% ethanol. I've heard somewhere that gasoline with ethanol can be worse for your engine (not sure how??) and that it can sap performance. Has anyone been using it in their STI??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I remembered something else from the manual that was interesting. The STI not only has a baffled oil pan, but a baffled fuel tank.....and, kinda like the vette, the STI has a light weight rear window. Do any other cars come like this from the factory?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Got my silver/silver in central Texas...

a lot of porshes have lightweight glass, there was also an M3 lightwight a few years ago that had light glass. not sure about the new M3-CSL.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top