IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening after dinner, we suddenly heard my alarm go off, and I ran over and had the lights on within five seconds. I was fast, but they were faster, and all I got was the sound of a car taking off (not my own). I disarmed the alarm and what happened slowly began to sink in. So im now wondering how good our stock system is... the sound definetely was a deterrent, but will it stop someone who knows what hes doing? can ANY alarm really stop such a thief? or will I just spend a lot more money for very little improvement?
Ahhh well. I bought this car knowing that it was very possible/likely that something like this would happen... it is a damn nice car.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
alarms in my opinion are pointless... if one goes off in a parking lot what do you do? Run to the car to see if someone is breaking in? No you just tell the car to shut up as it goes off for all eternity ;). Im sure they can make your villian think twice, but in reality, if they want whats in there, they will get it, loud sound or no loud sound. That and there are those who set the sensitivity to where air could drop pollen on the paint and it'd go off, so 90% of the time its not even a theif, but its up to you. I like having that Subaru Security sticker on my window, but if someone really wants my car, they will probably get it.

Robert~

·
Registered
56 Posts
if they happen to get your car, you can always have a kill switch so when they're driving your car shuts off. i've seen things like that for cars. i'm still trying to find an alarm that shocks someone if they touch the door handle. sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
lol... be bad if someone just bumps your car, but now that I think about it... I remember reading about an ECU thing to where you can set it to theft protect and the car's throttle wont work... all it can do is idle. Then when you get back in the car, switch back to whatever setting (im sure you have to have a code or something) and drive away. I'll try to find it for you. Seemed like the only way to get it to be 100% theft protected (unless they figure out your code or find your key or wahtever).

Robert~

·
Registered
241 Posts
With my UTEC and map selector, map 7 is security mode. When it's selected, the UTEC gives the car NO gas, so it can't be started. It's a cool feature until the thief figures out what to do.

Map 6 is a valet mode... where it has a max boost of 7psi, limited timing, and limited fuel :p

I use it when I park in public...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Sorry to hear about the experience.

I think the stock alarm is a joke personally. Someone posted on NASIOC that they had the stock alarm armed yet someone was able to steal their headlights and stereo. Not very effective if you ask me.

A good alarm is not a fix.....but it is a great idea. The siren isn't going to keep a theif away, but it will draw attention. And as far as communication....systems such as the Viper 790XV which I just self-installed is a 2-way system. My remote verifies all commands and alerts. If I have my remote by my bed and it goes off, I can see exactly what is going on. Is it a recurring warn away? Is it the shock sensor? Prox sensor? Glass breakage? I can usually figure out if it's a cat or something going wrong pretty easily.

That UTEC setup sounds awesome! I assume that's not done on the STi yet?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yeah the UTEC does sound like a good idea for performance AND security. Those communication alarms are nice, I had one on my old Legacy, but you are limited by distance, obstacles, and how fresh the battery is. I am going to have a GPS system installed that will call my cell and email me if something happens. I can also call it and do a number of things like start or stop the engine, put the windows up or down, etc. Plus I can log on the internet and see where my car is at anytime and check the max speeds or rpms that were recorded. There are quite a few cool features but the main one is that it will call me on my cell so I am not limited by distance or a lot of concrete depending on where I am parked.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I emailed turbo xs a while back about their ECUs and they said that it'd be 4 months before it is released for the STI... he also said he couldnt tell me anything, but that it will have a LOT more features then the tuning for the WRX did :) IM Excited thats for sure :)

Robert~

·
Registered
858 Posts
look... an alarm is nothing but a deterrence. hopefully between your car with an alarm and another withOUT an alarm, you are hoping the theif is smart enough to avoid yours.

now, in the last 10 years or so where i had a mega stereo install in my previous daily driver, i was able to get the top of the line alarm then. it sound, prox, everything available, around 1993.

one thing i did add was a pain generator siren INSIDE the vehicle. it's a high pitched siren that is quite loud. and since i was able to test it out (accidentally) last weekend, it's still loud.

now, one of the downsides of a oem alarm is that they are all the same. a theif can just download the installation manual and within minutes can rip out the brain and disable it.

my biggest fears has been someone stealing the inside. some of them cannot be replaced, but the car can be.

so in the end, nothing is really theif proof unless you park it in a locked garage or you work or goto school and you can keep an eye on it every second and you are within 30 seconds of it...

lazy people who become theives SUCK!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
c3r1h5 said:
if they happen to get your car, you can always have a kill switch so when they're driving your car shuts off. i've seen things like that for cars. i'm still trying to find an alarm that shocks someone if they touch the door handle. sorry to hear that.
I had a buddy hook up if windshield wipers to the battery... When a parking patrol trys to give hime tickets they get a rude awaking ! :lol:

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Goose said:
I had a buddy hook up if windshield wipers to the battery... When a parking patrol trys to give hime tickets they get a rude awaking ! :lol:
NICE! :lol:

We've talked about car security before...what about security systems that call you or page you if your car's been tampered with? Wish I had that last Friday, someone dinged my car. :evil: Didn't leave a note, so next time I accidentally ding a person's car, I won't have to leave one either. Or maybe one that reads, "Hey I dinged your car. My bad. Better luck next time." :roll:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
CA: 2004 STI 6 Disc Changer, Sub, and wiring harness

Goose said:
Ever touched both the terminals on a car battery at the same time before? DC isn't going to hurt you.....otherwise people would be zapping themselves on 9V batteries all the time.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yup....as long as I'm not too far inside a building, I get all the alerts. Also confirms commands when I can't see the car. For instance....hit the remote start....it'll tell me if the car started or not from inside the building.

I second those piezo sirens for inside the car. Your head is really ringing when that sucker is going off!

The only thing I wish I had different on my system is a normally open starter kill. As long as the brain can be killed on normally closed starter kill systems (which all DEIs are), the car can still be started.

Heck....not that it really matters. After installing a remote start and alarm on our car, I could have an Impreza hotwired in just a few minutes....

·
Registered
311 Posts
SnowbordrWRX said:
Wish I had that last Friday, someone dinged my car. :evil: Didn't leave a note, so next time I accidentally ding a person's car, I won't have to leave one either. Or maybe one that reads, "Hey I dinged your car. My bad. Better luck next time." :roll:
One windy day there was a truck parked beside our Outback. The wind caught the trucks door when they were opening it and it did quite a number on the door ($600 to get it fixed I think). Anyway, the people drove away withut leaving a note. Some guy saw the whole thing and took the license plate number and left a note! He was wicked cool and the people who bashed the door were pretty embarassed. Especially after they denied it and we showed them the dent and the flecks of paint of each of the two vehicles doors

·
Registered
983 Posts
How about putting a lowjack sticker on the window even u don't have it equipped (kinda ridiculous actually...). that may prevent (or reduce the chance) thieves from stealing your car. If they know the car has tracking system and they still want to steal it, they are either stupid or extremely smart that they are able to remove such device. But if he is that smart, why being a car thief? But having them knowing what lowjack is is also an issue.

Btw, have anyone heard in Africa their car alarm actually equipped with flame thrower??? the flame comes out at the door sill. It's funny that the officials said u would not see someone being burned alive because as soon as they got burned at the moment they would run away. LOL! I wish we can get that too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would invest in a Benelli semi auto shotgun.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Upgraded factory security?

i love the big black guy named ben, that was cool. i gotta go get me one of them.

i say just pack a .45 that away you can hide it better than a shot gun.
8)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts