IW STi Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. i was driving the STI this morning because it was a nice day out and i decided to mess around with the DCCD since i usually (well 99% of the time) keep it in auto. i placed it like two or three spots from the bottom on the display (whatever ratio that is) and when i made a left hand turn into a parking spot at like 5 or so mph, i heard the most awful noise ever. it was actually a combo of two noises. kind of a cross between 1) a tire rubbing on the inner fenderwell and 2) a metalliac clunking noise that was loud. this noise reminded me of what a bad CV joint or axle on a FWD car sounds like. it was a loud noise, not something subtle. this happened twice today while making left hand turns into parking spaces. this does not happen in auto and i'm not sure if it happens while making a right hand turn. after this, i had the thing on the street because now i'm curious. i had it in the same position and took a 90 degree corner at like 40 mph and heard nothing. no clue here. i called my dealer and they are going to check it out on saturdey when i get my oil changed. has anyone here experienced anything like this? by the way, the car only has 2800 miles on it and is not beaten on (besides one 5k launch just for shits and giggles) and the ocassionally 145mph "cruise" on the highway. no racing, no track time, no burnouts, etc. please help.....

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
thats a normal sound from the center diff. This is not a problem and has been reported numerous times.

Scares the shit out of all of us the first time we hear it. Solution is to switch back to auto when turning at slow speeds on anything but a slippery surface.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
The noises are normal and you will have them in any manual mode setting... its , i think, "torque ... something" I remember someone telling me, anyways , whats important is that the noise is normal. In auto it wont do this. When you hit a certain speed, the clunk goes away because you have enough torque to keep it from grinding (im assuming). This is normal on all STis, so dont sweat it. The dealer should have told you about it when you first bought the car (as mine did). So dont worry ;) its normal and doesnt "damage" anything, from what the dealer said. and i wish i could remember what the heck it was called... :lol:

Robert~

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no kidding. it really did scare the crap outta me when i heard it. sounds so "un-normal" if you know what i'm saying. however, it sounded like it was coming from the front left wheel area.

thanks for the info guys and if it is something wrong after all, i have my warranty still (until the modding begins).

·
Registered
78 Posts
The exact same thing happend to my dad when he tried the car, only he was pulling out from a parking spot.....your right, it is the most god awful sound ever :eek:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The differential locks up and the car wants to maintain exactly the same number of rotations between all the tires on the car. When you turn, the outside tires need to turn faster than the inside tires. With a locked differential, this means that the tires need to slip while turning, but with the STi differential, it isn't really "locked" in the same way as a truck, where it's just a solid axle across.... the STi differential uses clutches (i think... there is more than one way to do this.) between each tire and the center differential, so if the tires have full traction the system binds up from the torque difference and something has to slip.... that's where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just had my first experience with that noise yesterday. I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left and then we heard the sound identified above. Sounded as if I had hit the bumper of the car in front of me but now it's obvious that it was the DCCD messing with me. :x

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what a totally shitty design by subaru if you ask me. they sell you a $30+k car and it makes noises like that when brand new and then they tell you it's normal. get with the frigging program subaru.....you're supposed to be the AWD pioneers.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
linearzero said:
what a totally ****ty design by subaru if you ask me. they sell you a $30+k car and it makes noises like that when brand new and then they tell you it's normal. get with the frigging program subaru.....you're supposed to be the AWD pioneers.
You are joking right? Have you ever owned a 4 x 4 pickup and tried engaging 4-high on pavement and seen what happened?

This is not a design flaw, it's the fact that when you are making turns on pavement, your wheels are not going to be going the same speeds and forcing them to do so is unkind.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
word, that is why Subaru does not normally put in a locking center differential. They did this for their top of the line performance car because it is designed to give ultimate grip at speed and on slippery surface. They figured STi owners would appeciate this and understand the minor limitation of a locking center diff.

remember they have been at this a very long time and do EVERYTHING for a reason.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whatever guys, i do leave the thing in auto 99% of the time but when i tried to use it otherwise and heard this noise, i didn't like the sound of it. and no, i have never owned a 4x4 truck so i don't know what sounds it makes amd such.

oh yeah bitabur, no weed here.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You shouldn't start criticizing subaru because you used their product incorrectly. A locked differential is meant for low traction situations where a difference in the rotational speed of the tires is prefered over allowing torsion differences between the wheels.

It is simply a fact of physics that this is going to happen on dry pavement with a locked differential.

Sorry if I jumped to a certain conclusion (weed) a bit quickly, but you're comment is just assenine and makes you sound like an uneducated fool..... especially combined with the fact that you haven't bothered to learn about your own car enough to make proper use of it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, first off, i'll criticize whoever the hell i want to criticize. get over it pal, what are you 18 year old internet tough guy?

now you're saying i'm an "uneducated fool" because i haven't "learned" about my car. screw you pal. i'm not one of your types that reasearch what type of car i want for months on end and then when the time comes to make a purchase, grow a set of balls to ask the wife/girlfriend or probably in your case, boyfriend, if you can buy whatever car you have choosen. i see what i want, i buy it, and learn as i go - peroid.

unlike most of the people here, this is my first AWD car, or 4x4 for that matter so yes, i guess you could say, in essence, that i'm "a little uneducated" in the area of the AWD drivetrain of the subaru sti. i tried something, heard a noise, and posted here. end of story. i have my opinions, i'm sticking to them, and i'll be damned if you or anyone else here for that matter wants to call me out on my thoughts and/or opinions.

so from here on out, i'm done with you bitabur.

want to keep on going with this pissing match - bring it.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
linearzero said:
i'm not one of your types that reasearch what type of car i want for months on end
Why not? You like making impulse purchases and then not knowing how they work? 30k seems like a lot for an electrician to throw around for no reason.

linearzero said:
i tried something, heard a noise, and posted here. end of story. i have my opinions, i'm sticking to them, and i'll be damned if you or anyone else here for that matter wants to call me out on my thoughts and/or opinions.
So if you showed up here and said that it was rediculous because your clutch wore out after a week because you weren't operating it right and smoked it away, we should just accept that your opinion is right and there's nothing more too it.....

No thanks.

linearzero said:
what a totally ****ty design by subaru if you ask me. they sell you a $30+k car and it makes noises like that when brand new and then they tell you it's normal. get with the frigging program subaru.....you're supposed to be the AWD pioneers.

Can you still read this and assume that it's a dignified comment? I'm sick of people complaining because something doesn't work how they WANT it too. It's like my little cousin telling me that my TV is stupid because he can't figure out how to change the input to play a video game....

Yes, it's the TV that's stupid, isn't it.

Guess what. Machines work how they're designed too, and when you complain because your car is working correctly, it DOES in fact make you seem stupid.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
linearzero said:
i guess you do but unfortunately, as stated in my previous post, i'm done with you.

thanks for coming out.....a$$hole

·
Registered
6 Posts
linearzero said:
linearzero said:
i guess you do but unfortunately, as stated in my previous post, i'm done with you.

I went to school with you at Clark University...right? U look familiar? Used to own the blue Xtreme?

·
Registered
858 Posts
wait til you drive a 4wd with both axles LOCKED together.

you will have a very hard time make a turn. i have a friend who installed a hydraulic ram to help with his steering.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
linearzero said:
linearzero said:

Are you retarded? No, seriously....

I have a hard time believing you have a strong command of the english language. Your little quote above, is from YOU, and when you say "bring it," that's an invitation for a challenge, it's not saying that you're done arguing. Right BEFORE what you quoted is where you said you were done with this.... but since you contradicted yourself I figured I'd just explain myself and let that be that. Of course you replied anyway, so you didn't need to mention being "done with me." Cause you weren't.

I'm not trying to have a fight here, I never was. I'm explaining why I think you shouldn't be talking about some aspect of your car that's intentional and acting like it's some terrible mistake that subaru made. God forbid they know more than you about cars.

But ya know what, don't worry about replying, I don't think there's anyone else who's going to agree with you anyway, and obviously you're one of those people who'll never change their mind. At least when someone proves me wrong about something I'll eat my words and compliment them for being right.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.