IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on the Cartalk website.

"Subaru WRX owners learned what happens this year when function follows form:
We have to comment on the shift knob. The shift knob has evolved over the last 100 years or so to be round, and fit nicely into the palm of the human hand. But Subaru decided to build the WRX shifter for drivers with flat palms. The shift knob is shaped like a thimble. It's fashionable, it's different, but it cuts into your palm. Dumb idea, guys."

I haven't heard much either way about the shape of the shift knob, is there any truth it this accusation?

And yes, I know, it's the anti-horsepower pro-Mini Cooper CarTalk guys, but they aren't complete idiots. This was on a page starting off lambasting BMW's iDrive.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've never had any problem with the stock shifter, I think it feels nice. I think that the STi was probably fast enough that these guys were so scared they were ready to crap their pants, and had a white knuckle death grip on the shifter.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
elucas730 said:
I think they may be talking about the titanium shift knob
That was my first thought too, otherwise I've no idea what they are babbling about thimbles for.

I guess when your cars are slow you have time to ponder such things. :lol:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Those guys have to be morons - among other things, they LIKE the navigation screen in the middle of the instrumentation from the Chrysler Pacifica or whatever it is...

I took one look at that and said, What a stupid thing to do!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they may be talking about the titanium shift knob shown on this page: http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/acc-wrx.html
The shifter they talking about was defintiely the stock shift knob. There was a picture of the interior right next to that paragraph, but when I went back to double-check it, the interior pic was gone and there was a front quarter shot of an '04 WRX. :roll:

...STi was probably fast enough that these guys were so scared they were ready to crap their pants, and had a white knuckle death grip on the shifter.
:lol: That could be it, you know how much they hate the "hoss poweer".

I guess when your cars are slow you have time to ponder such things.
You mean when they drive a car slow? ;)

Well, I'll just chalk this one up to a couple of grumps who couldn't find anything else bad to say about Impreza WRX/STi being as it is such an overpowered menace. :lol:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
STiObserver said:
Those guys have to be morons - among other things, they LIKE the navigation screen in the middle of the instrumentation from the Chrysler Pacifica or whatever it is...

Personally I think it's a better place than other navigation systems. You only have to look down at your gauge cluster to see the information the nav sys is trying to show you. That way the rest of the controls, the radio, climate control and misc. can (or should) be operated without having to look at them.

That way the only part of your car you have to look at while driving are the gauges and the mirrors. As it should be. 8)

BTW that's why I haven't replaced the stock stereo in my car, I can operate every function without looking at it.

This all reminds me of the definition of "Ergonomics" I found in C&D.

ergonomics (er-go-NOM-icks) n. Abandoned science once favored in the 1980s, considered today a pseudo science similar to astrology, except less useful.

So true I could cry sometimes... :x

·
Registered
668 Posts
i'm not a fan of the flat topped titanium shifter either. I believe it's designed to look like a piston or something like that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
As a WRX owner, I think the stock shift knob is great. Being leather, it is never cold or hot to the touch like titanium would be. However, the shifter itself is a little too tall. The Kartboy kit with bushings fixed that though. Currrently, I shift with just my fingers as the throw is so short. My elbow rests on the arm rest and I can reach all the gears with a flick of my fingers.

If that is the biggest complaint they have with the car, I'd say its a pretty good car. My biggest complaint is that the cruise control quits at 89MPH. Is that still an issue with the STI?

-Lance

·
Registered
963 Posts
M said:
STiObserver said:

Personally I think it's a better place than other navigation systems. You only have to look down at your gauge cluster to see the information the nav sys is trying to show you. That way the rest of the controls, the radio, climate control and misc. can (or should) be operated without having to look at them.

That way the only part of your car you have to look at while driving are the gauges and the mirrors. As it should be. 8)
...Or you could plan your route ahead of time, memorize it, and not have a need for the nav system...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A good little tip I use to memorize driving directions is to remember silly words that sound close instead the actual street names.
"Right on Thompson, left on Nivette, left on Orange, right on ST. Louis."
Becomes
"Right Tommy Gun, Left Nipples, Left Orangutans, Right S.T.L. UH!!"

It really does work for me.... :oops:

·
Registered
101 Posts
DrEvyl said:
I've never had any problem with the stock shifter, I think it feels nice. I think that the STi was probably fast enough that these guys were so scared they were ready to crap their pants, and had a white knuckle death grip on the shifter.
i would have to say the same :lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
My buddy is ordering a STi and was also complaining about the shift knob. If you look at the knob, right where the center of your palm goes is a red stich line. He said that is rubbed into the palm of his hand and bothered him. Hell, I can't believe these guys commented on the same damn thing. Out of all of the aspects of a car to complain about you pick the shift knob?!?!?!? I think is shows the quality of journalists they have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts