IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about to purchase coilover soon. And i'm just worried why people are saying so much bad things about tein...
the reasons i want to get either ss-p or flex is that tein company is also located in CA so it will be easier to access their customer service(such as overhauling the coilover or rebuild) where as other companies, you have to send it back to japan to get it done. i've ridden on my friends flex and i love the ride.

So what's really bad about tein's coilover? compared to kw3 and such?
what's the best coilover for between 1000-1500?

thanks guys
-jae

·
Registered
785 Posts
Also interested to see what people's opinion is on the matter. The only negatives I've encountered / heard is that they have a fairly rough ride and that the rebound / doop level of the coilovers is pretty minimal. I'm still considering these as a possibility...

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Who said there is anything wrong with them? From experience I can tell you that I like them the least out of the now 3 vendors I have run on my car.

I started with the Flex's... Nothing wrong with them at all..I switched to Cusco Zero-2E's and my own opinion was that I like them better than the Tein's but that was personal preference only. I now have the KW V3's, and they are absolutely wonderful! Yes they are much more then the Teins or Cusco's but the dampening in both directions is quite nice. So to answer your question...

I would say make sure you do your research on what spring rates you want for your setup. Most stock Tein rates are fine for your car. Be warned if it is a daily driver the stiffness compared to struts/springs will be more noticeable...I will say that all 3 sets road fine and I dont mind stiff suspension so I might be a bad judge? I dont drive my STI as a daily so again it didnt bother me to have a nice stiff setup. If you wind up with the teins I am sure you will be happy. There are nicely designed and since they are close to you that will be a plus as well, (athough there are a ton of places that rebuild coil overs around the country).

Good luck! :)

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
there isn't anything wrong with them, it just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. The tein flex are really stiff, and i don't know how many people would want to spend a lot of time with them on the street. between 1000-1500 my vote would go to then Tein SS-p's. They aren't bad on the street (comfort wise), and they are good on the track.

The reason people like the KW's is that they are better on the street than the stock suspension, and extremely good on the track. So if it were me, i would save up a little more and go with the KW's. The only problem is that the KW's don't come with top hats so you have to use the stock ones (or upgrade). If you don't want to spend the money on the KW's, go for the SS-P's.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
The combination of very high spring rates and valving to match make the Flexes pretty harsh for daily driving. Some people have a high tolerance for that sort of thing, but even on the track, stiffer springs do NOT necessarily equal better handling. European companies like KW and Ohlins are much better suited for us because they design their coilovers for normal roads. That means bumps, expansion joints, etc. Supposedly the SS-P's aren't bad in terms of ride quality, but what worries me about them most is the lack of rust-proof coating. I have seen Japanese coilovers literally rust until they fall apart, it's not pretty. Both KW and Ohlins use stainless steel shock bodies to prevent rust and corrosion. If your budget is $1500, I'd say to either keep saving and get KWs or just go with RCE springs. But that's just my opinion...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The valving in Tein's lower-end stuff (like the SS-P's) is junk. It's enough to keep the higher spring rates from being bouncy on the highway, usually, but nothing you'd want to do a HPDE on. The valving does not provide the car control that even the OE shocks provide.

Flex's have physically better hardware but are valved questionably for street use. They're too stiff where they don't have to be. Even for track use, this is a bad thing.

All-in-all, I really don't like Tein. Their style-master springs are downright unsafe, putting (in some applications) the car clean onto its bump stops at rest without any spring rate increase. I've also read many complaints of Tein shocks clunking within months of their installation, though I thankfully never experienced this.

I've compared Tein's low-end coilovers (basics, SS-P) in the past to Koni sports with springs (for same price) and the Koni's are in a whole different league. If you have a 2004, you can fit Koni's on WRX inserts and run RCE springs. That'd be the way to go. For 2005+, you can try running Koni's in just the rear (front won't fit), or you can save up for KW's.

But I'd avoid Tein. Better to stay stock and save your money than spend $1300+ to make your car worse.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
^ I kinda concur, the teins arent appealing to me either, if you have an 04 yeah the koni idea is much better IMO, for 05+ sticking with the stock strut and a spring like the RCE is pretty damn nice, you still get good travel and a very very livable setup that still performs. IMO I would save you pennies for something like the KW v3 or beyond (or Ohlins struts :) )

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've had my Tein Flex's for a while now with no complaint. I do however like a stiffer ride than most. It is a bit more bumpy than most would like to put up with however that's perfectly fine with me. No noise or hitting my bumpstops. Remember that when you compare products, you can't really compare car to car. I had Tein S-tech springs in my Prelude with Tokico illumnia 5 way adjustable shocks and I hit my bumpstops all the time. It had a shorter travel however compared to my sti.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Whats wrong with them? nothing. Im sure some people dont think murdering human beings is wrong either.

I think what you mean is. "Why not pick Teins?"
They are a great coilover. But the stock spring and damping set-up is a bit stiff for some US states. Ca for one, cause the roads are horrible!

·
Registered
16 Posts
you probably want to get super-racing if it is from tein... or something that can adjust the rebound if you dont want to have a stiff ride on the street.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
i love mine...but i'm switching to zeal functionX later..

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have the flex's and they work fine for ax. I have a high tolerance for a stiff ride, gets better when you get rid of the 070's. I have this crazy idea to try and rebuild my teins using koni double adjustable inserts. I wonder if it can be done?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so if tein uses all these crappy parts like you guys say, what is that mean?
is it going to break or something? doesn't tein have warranty on these products to back that up? i've never seen tein coilover fail or "rusted into pieces"
and does this also mean kw and other coilover will lasts longer than tein? isn't that what overhauling/rebuilding is for?

hows cusco compared to tein?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have Flexes and I'm getting rid of them soon. The ride is simply way too harsh (for me) and I've finally grown tired of it. I've put 21,000 miles on my car in the year that I've owned it. I've done autocrosses, track days, road trips, and lots of daily driving, and I just can't take it anymore. I've found that the incredibly stiff valving/spring rates coupled with virtually no droop travel creates a setup that is good for only the smoothest of roads.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
i have the flexes on my '05 and don't have too many complaints about them. like others have said, they may be a bit stiff, but i guess that's driver's preference. personally, i don't mind it all too much. at the softest setting, they are still a tad bit stiff.

clunking / mysterious noises - i've only heard some noises during turns, but i was able to cure that by retightening the perches. i've read about clunks and noises with other coilovers other than the teins as well. other than that, they seem pretty clunk-free to me. i think that was an issue when the flexes first came out for our cars though.

other than that, i like them. the car is mainly street-driven as i haven't taken it to the track... yet

good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have had Tein Flex's on my 05 STi for about 5 months now. I love them. I like a stiff setup to eliminate body roll and weight transfer. The Flex's do just that. I can take corners much faster with the Teins than I could with the stock springs and even the Espelir GT springs.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
but is it worse than stock 05 shocks in terms of comfort and bumpiness?

·
Registered
969 Posts
JKonquer said:
but is it worse than stock 05 shocks in terms of comfort and bumpiness?
Yes, much worse. I'd say 300% worse than stock in terms of ride quality on bumpy roads. I keep mine 1 notch from full stiff at all times though, so it would be softer on the softer settings, but I doubt by a lot. If comfort is at all a concern, I would say get something with softer spring rates.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how about tein ss-p? hows the ride quality on those?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
THis is interesting to say the least.

WHile I have an opinion...I wouldnt answer nor mention mine in this thread if you paid me.

WHat we are doing now is taking videos of cars with different suspensions d going over the common bumps that either you "run over" or are "absorbed".

THe purspose of the video ISNT to make one brand or another look bad or good, as we might not even say which car has what, but it will be SUPER obvious what MOST will want.

I realize bumps on the street and bumps on the track seemingly are 2 different worlds, but they are NOT actually.

Enough talking, I will start a thread soon with this info.

look for it.

Myles

1 - 20 of 30 Posts