Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's my mods

Ohlin fixed perch struts
Cusco Adj sway bars
JDM Pinks
KB Endlinks
RCE front camber plates

I am guessing about 1.0 gs

I can take turns about 15 to 20 mph faster now with no tire squeal and the car is much more plated than before I got the struts and the plates. I can pass people on those 2 lane 20 mph circular on ramprs at 60+ mph and still have more left. The scary thing is that I really have not had a chance to lose it yet. I just do not seem to go fast enough into corners. I get into the corners and realize that my suspension can do way more, but I am still used to the old entry speeds. Has anyone else experienced this before?

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
It's time for a track day ;) There's no better way to try to approach the limits of your car, although even after several track days you will still be trying to find your limits as a driver, which are probably much lower than the limits of your equipment.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stockers

import111 said:
What tires do you run? Tires make more of a grip difference than anything else. Size and brand?
the RE070s...Ok when these wear out should I get Falken 615 245/45/17s?

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
please stop driving at 8/10ths on the road.

you're going to hurt the car or someone else.

take it to an autox or a track day and see how you stack up.

skid pad #s are crap anyway.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
T3h_Clap said:
please stop driving at 8/10ths on the road.

you're going to hurt the car or someone else.

take it to an autox or a track day and see how you stack up.

skid pad #s are crap anyway.

Yeah I guess I should have been clearer. LOL I said "I can pass them at 60" I did not say I do. I actually do that speed when there is no one around. Just to hear the tires and feel if I am breaking loose. Good point. I only drive stupid if no one is around.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Its not like we can just "measure" what sort of G's you are gonna pull on a skid pad from listing your suspension mods and etc.

If you really wanna see what its like to push the car take it to an autox and/or trackday - it will be an eye opener ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okie dokie

AndrewSS said:
Its not like we can just "measure" what sort of G's you are gonna pull on a skid pad from listing your suspension mods and etc.

If you really wanna see what its like to push the car take it to an autox and/or trackday - it will be an eye opener ;)
Yeah I'm gonna give that a try. Where are some good places near Central California. Not driving schools, mind you. Just tracks I can whip around. I am going to attend some schools this summer.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Maybe you could find some tracks if you would post in the regional forum.

·
Registered
836 Posts
AndrewSS said:
Well that's not entirely true. Someone with a similar suspension package and g meter could report thier results. I have G meter and stock suspension. I haven't been to the track with it yet so I can't give the max numbers. I've been to 0.86 and that's about all I care to do on public roads.

Skip pad ratings mean something, just not everything. As you improve your suspension, you will likely see an increase in mechanical group and a corresponding increase in your skid pad rating. Again its one data point, and interesting one, but not the only one.

·
Registered
422 Posts
0.86g on public roads is darned hard driving!

I had a g-anylist in my old BMW. Saw 1.2g on one long hillclimb corner, right in front of the timing people. They gave me a few complements on how good I looked. Consistently, closed course, I was at 1g.

On the street 0.7g was scary fast on my side of the yellow line. Quick driving was about 0.4g. This was 15 years ago on Yoko 008 II tyres.

The STi is faster on course. Damb, I need to put a g meter on the STi. I wonder what my Avatar pulled...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Web_Foot_STi said:

I had a g-anylist in my old BMW. Saw 1.2g on one long hillclimb corner, right in front of the timing people. They gave me a few complements on how good I looked. Consistently, closed course, I was at 1g.

On the street 0.7g was scary fast on my side of the yellow line. Quick driving was about 0.4g. This was 15 years ago on Yoko 008 II tyres.

The STi is faster on course. Damb, I need to put a g meter on the STi. I wonder what my Avatar pulled...

Yeah I do not even think I've come close to the car's capabilities. I'll leave that for a stretch of road with nobody around and nbody within miles, or a track of course.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Web_Foot_STi said:
Right, it's harder than you'd think. I used a deserted 300 ft circular onramp. I wouldn't be able to get that high on open roads.

·
Registered
403 Posts
someone loaned me a g-meter for a few weeks. What a bad idea. I finally figured out that I was turning into a terrible road menace by turning every empty curved ramp into an opportunity to max out the g-meter.

I ended up pulling 1.08 g's on a stock suspension and goodyear GS-D3s. The geometry of the corner helped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts