IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up i have a AW 06 sti with 1850 miles on it and i checked the oil tonight and its like more than a quart low. will someone please tell me that its the ****ty oil that they use from the factory. or is this what i have to look forward to. Other than that the car is real nice and i love it. im going to change the oil anyway and im going to try castrol syntec hopefully that will be better.

thanks guys

ps, if anyone in north jersey needs pink i badges for a 04-05 hit me up

·
Registered
690 Posts
some do and some dont try royal purple works for me!

·
Registered
833 Posts
STi489 said:
broke mine in hard and i burn 1-2 oz between changes if that and i use mobil 1 full syn 5w30
+1 dont really burn a drop,go figure:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
i never knew if u dont brake in the car right u burn oil faster hmmmm.....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Broke mine in easy, changed the oil at 1000 miles to Amsoil Series 3000 then started driving hard. Changed it again at 3000 miles with the same, continued driving hard. At 18000 miles on my '06 I might burn 1-2 ounces every 3000 depending on how hard I've driven it. At extended high RPM use I see more consumption, commuting to work and back there is little to none. I check my oil every fill up.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
might wanna think about changing synthetic that early. a lot of people do it, but i heard its not the best thing. something about it extends the break in period.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
CruisinSTI said:
might wanna think about changing synthetic that early. a lot of people do it, but i heard its not the best thing. something about it extends the break in period.
its too slippery lol. you need good ole dino juice for atleast 9000 i say.

·
Registered
490 Posts
CruisinSTI said:
There's a whole lot of cars on the road now days that are factory filled with Mobil One. The old tale is synthetic is too slick to allow the rings to 'wear in' to the cylinder walls. So, if you want them to 'wear' faster use dino oil. If you do not want them to 'wear in' use synthetic.

All that being said I'd still say NEVER torque bolts using synthetic oil for thread lube :)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I can't tell if I'm burning or not. I'm guessing it a little bit, but I can't tell because the stupid dealer overfills. So, this weekend I'm changing the oil myself and I'm filling it to spec. I'm using Mobil1 5w-30 btw.

To the OP: The oil burning has only been a really bad problem to those who a) have cars that burn more than the norm b) don't check their oil and let it get way down to the point that the engine breaks. SOA usually won't give them a new engine because they say you should check your oil periodically.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I use Amsoil 5w30 and my 05 doesn't burn a drop. Just hit 15k.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
I would hold off to go over to synthetic. I didn't make the switch till way later. I use maybe 1qt per 3000mi oil changes. Of course now that I have the amsoil in there and am not doing changes for a much much longer time everything still seems to be the same.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Subaru considers 1 quart every 1000 miles within spec. I had Mobil1 in my car when I went to get it tuned. The tuner told me to change it for dino because it'll burn alot of the M1. Sure enough, if I was driving the car hard, I'd have to top it off almost every night. I switched to Castrol GTX 5W-30, and the burning has slowed down big time.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I have a 6 month old 06 and the day I hit a 1,000 miles I changed the oil. How many others changed the oil at 1,000??

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
I don't really burn oil unless I'm flogging the poop out of the car at the track or doing some extended backroad carving (like 2-3 days in a row.) Even then, my oil might go from the notch to 1/2 after about 4000km, which I believe is very low oil consumption. Just check your oil once per week. I have 43,000km on my 05 with no engine problems. I also broke mine in semi-hard with 7km on it... :)

Another thing, our cars will burn a little oil here or there.

Lastly, check your oil filter and make sure it isn't slowly leaking. Also, since you are still breaking the car in, you might find that your oil consumption drops drastically after 5-6K. Keep on the dino oil and give her hell. I'm sure you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts