IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black/Silver in Scarborough Ontario. NY plates BWA4181... from the Delta Toronto East hotel parking lot where I was staying. I've filed my police and insurance reports. Toronto PD said, and I quote "Good luck". I paid for the window etching, but, I highly doubt I'll be getting that car back. Based on the video surveilance from the parking lot it was gone less than 1/2 hour after I parked it, no broken glass. It was a great car, but, I'm not sure if I want to ever deal with this hassle again. What would you do? Get another one? Go for something less flashy? I'm not sure how my insurance will work out, but, I've had a clean record forever. I'm sure that I'll take some financial punishment for getting it stolen in Canada when I live in the US, but, what can you do.

Shasta

·
Registered
124 Posts
OUCH!! Sorry about your car.
I guess if your ins. is going to get you another car and your monthly payment doesn't skyrocket, why not get another.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
damn, i suppose it was only a matter of time before one of us had our STi ripped off. sorry it had to be you or anyone actually. did you have an alarm or any other anti-theft gizmos? not that they help if someone really wants you car. i have read about a company that claims to be the only company with an anti-theft system that is approved by insurance companies in Mexico City. i think its called Ravelco. they have a website that has some very interesting and impressive claims. i have thought about getting one installed on my car. i'll post the website in a minute.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Re: a very large evo "ouch"

shasta, very sorry to hear that. if i were you, i'd get another one. best of luck with your ins company. did the surveillance tape show how it was taken; i.e. break-in, towed away? did you have an alarm? what kind? thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I can tell from the tape is that it was driven out. The camera only points at the entrance/exit. Pretty much useless except to tell me that the car was gone for about 10hrs before I noticed. There was a basic alarm, and, I had the glass etching done for recovery. But, nobody heard anything, and, I hadn't gotten around to putting battery cut-off on the car yet (I used to have one on my 911). I've only had it since August, hell, I didn't even get around to installing the rear speakers yet. At least whoever stole it is stuck lisenting to only a 2-speaker stereo. :evil:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
This sux, sorry to hear about it. If you really liked the car I would definitely get another one, no point letting some idiot who stole your car ruin it for you. Then I would definitely look into a better alarm, maybe one that tracks the car with GPS... the one I was looking at you can set a perimeter when you park it so if it were to leave that area it would notify you via phone or email. Also the tracking system operated separate from the alarm so if the alarm goes off or not it will still work. You can also log on to a website and pinpoint exactly where the car is at anytime. My biggest concern with something like LoJack is what happened to you, not noticing it gone till 10hrs later. LoJack or not, a lot can be done in 10hrs.

One thing, and I hate to say it, if my baby got stolen I would hope they don't find it because you know it is going to be beat to hell and probably never be the same.

Good luck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Man that sucks. If it were me, I would not want them to find the car. I would rather have the cash to work with. It's horrible that you have to rethink your next car purchase due to the punks of the world. Good luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i've had a car in the past stolen. and trust me on this, you dont want the car to be returned. you want it to be considered totalled, or never found, so the insurance can just give you a check. cause if you do get it back, its never the same again. its better to feel bad, take the loss, and get the cash to purchase another ride of your choice, then getting it back, and having to look at it and find out whats wrong with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys if it is a manual transmission it can be push started. Invest in something simple such as fuelpump and electronic ignition kill switch :evil:

T

·
0 Posts
Wow that sucks man, sorry it had to happen in Canada also. But just for everyone's information, Scarborough is pretty much the last place you wanna be in Canada after dark. Even taxi drivers won't go there after 10:00 pm, the crime rate is so high.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have had 2 cars stolen during my college years -- both times they were either liability onlhy or totally uninsured. I got one back... 10 months later... and trashed, though it ran. (Ever wonder where ugly duckling finds them cars???)

I said no to lo-jack. My insurance company has a discount for PREVENTIVE devices, but not RECOVERY devices. Lojack does nothing to prevent a steal. An ignition kills, or fuel pump kill or whatever qualifies and is what I got. Also, I am not big on monthly service fees which is also a lojack deal (per my understanding).

Sorry to hear about the stolen car. Best thing would be to never see it again. Boy was I surprised when I got the call telling me they found my car. Would really have liked to have known where my car was and what it was being used for for 10 months!!!

Opal

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
OUCH. Sorry to hear about your stolen STi :( :cry:

I got my car "stolen" as well...a Honda Civic...but the Man Upstairs must've been watching over me...I advertised it for sale and I had my mom make the sale since it was parked at her place. Well, the check came back fraudulent (she had even called to make sure they had the money to cover it!). After the buyer/thief drove off, the account was closed a few days afterwards, but before the check had cleared. I had already withdrawn the funds and used the money to pay off my WRX, and everything was fine until I get a call from my bank saying the check was bad...I know I shouldn't have accepted the check, but well, it was my mom and she's sold her cars in the past with a cashier's check...so I figured she knew what she was doing. I searched around on the internet and found out there's alot of cashier's check fraud going around, esp between October and April. Anyway, to make a long story short, we called the police and filed a claim since we did have their information. Somehow, the police were able to recover the car, and it was in BETTER shape than it was when it was stolen! The interior smelled even better (I had used Lysol disinfectant prior to the "sale"), the tires had tire treatment on it, the engine was cleaned, and the H emblem that was stolen a couple of years ago was replaced!

The best case scenario is that you get your STi back with 100 hp or so worth of performance parts installed...but that's unlikely. :roll: The irony is whoever stole it won't dare to drive it around...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cashier's checks are NOT as good as cash!

When I bought my STi, my sales guy and another asked if I was interested in having OnStar installed in my car, then quickly retracted and said, "uh, never mind.... it's an STi and doesn't have a radio." (I don't understand the relevance or dependancy of the radio with OnStar)

I didn't know that some Subarus are coming with OnStar now until I looked.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/vehicles/vehicles.jsp?page=idont

Anyone with an STi and OnStar installed here?

John

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
SnowbordrWRX said:
The irony is whoever stole it won't dare to drive it around...
it's likely on a slow boat out of the country. i agree with what others have said: you don't wanna get the car back. better to find it totaled or not at all.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
SnowbordrWRX said:
The irony is whoever stole it won't dare to drive it around...
it's likely on a slow boat out of the country. i agree with what others have said: you don't wanna get the car back. better to find it totaled or not at all.
Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of it being somewhere in the middle of Mexico or chopped up in a shop somewhere :cry:

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
sorry to hear about the theft! i hope you verified that your insurance covers you in canada. my insurance covers me only if i visit the agent and give the dates i will be out of the USA with the car. i really hope this dosent happen to you. also they can't increase your rates for a theft, unless the keys were in the car

good luck, better days ahead
ted

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
nhsilversti said:
i hope you verified that your insurance covers you in canada.
oh man, i only just realized he's from new york and was traveling "abroad". sheesh, yeah, what you said. i hope most/all insurance covers canada. they're practically the 51st.... okay, i'll stop. ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts