IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so cruising out of my neighborhood, a VA state crests over the hill. i stop, turn signal turn and pull out. he paces me a little, stomps on the brakes gets behind me and lights on. i pull over and he gets out of his car.

Officer: "can i see your L and R?"
Me: "may i ask why?"
O: "I'll tell you after i see your L and R"
I hand it over
O: "do you still live at so and so address?"
Me: "no, i moved a week ago, i live in the subdivision i just pulled out of"
O: "well you need to get all of that settled at the dmv. the reason i pulled you over is because you have an illegal muffler on your car."

(i have an SPT subaru axleback)

Me: "but i got that striaght from subaru"
O: "its still illegal in the state of va... if you have an aftermarket muffler that isnt the oem then its illegal. even if you get a muffler from autozone its still illegal"
Me: "why is it illegal?"
O: "because its loud"

in the end he didnt give me ticket but a warning.

overall this whole situation led me to believe that the cop pulled me over because he saw a kid in a ballcap driving a souped up car. im sure you guys get this a lot. whaddya ya'll think?

·
/////////
8,448 Posts
Yeah VA cops are real strict, they pull you over for stuff dangling off your rear view mirror.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
it's entirely possible that there's a law that says your not allowed to change out your exhaust

·
Registered
296 Posts
i get one for exuast about every month and i was nice the first 3 or for times now, im a dick becouse they wast my time and money they follow me around becouse im a young looking guy with a nice car. hell i get pulled so much i usally pull my regestration out before the cop even knows hes about to pull me over lol its like a new 6 sence.

what goes thew a cop head when they see me... gold rims, big wing, kid, exuast yess im meating my quata screw real police work this way easer

·
Registered
614 Posts
I always get a kick out of no loud exhausts but grown overweight men, with nauseatingly tight leather clothing, wearing the silliest helmets I've ever seen, riding huge things that sound obnoxiously loud and like shat, have no problems with johnny law.

You'd think once the cops saw the brembos they'd realize you werent a dumb ricer kid... thats what happens with most people!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I was pulled over once when I had first put my exhaust on. I was lost coming home from some random skatepark, and I was back tracking through some town. Some idiot cop pulled me over for the exhaust, saw my boost gauge and thought I was on the bottle, then told me to get the **** out and never to come back. I dont even know what town that was in, so I dont know whether or not I'll ever be back there haha...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah I got pulled over for merely going 30 over. He was just f*cking with me! My brother was driving my car the day before and the cop gave him a ticket for doing 7 over, then told him he has a nice car! DICK!

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
ottousmc said:
Yeah I got pulled over for merely going 30 over. He was just f*cking with me! My brother was driving my car the day before and the cop gave him a ticket for doing 7 over, then told him he has a nice car! DICK!

30 over or 3 over?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I cant believe cops give you guys such attitude. Check out the law in your state and make sure your exhaust complies with it. I would even carry a copy of the 50 state legallity from the manufacturer around with me in the glove compartment. I would just have it there to show jack offs who pull you over for a quick easy fix it ticket.

·
Registered
178 Posts
you should be able to get a reciept for your purchase showing that is from subaru ,and as long as the part description doesn't read for off road use only.
You should be ok

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
if ur exhaust tip is shiny. its aftermarket. i got pulled over for it. and WRITTEN up. too bad i'm taking the dick hole to court cuz i passed the state ref db test.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm still waiting for my turn :( . JDM STi sport muffler is really soft sounding but when you lay on the throttle you could hear me coming for 10 blocks :). Cops around here never really bother with exhaust so I might luck out...if I don't well then I guess it's back to stock for me ;) .

·
Registered
839 Posts
allwheelsdriven said:
i live on a windy road that packs of harleys cruise up and down all summer and yes i think exhaust laws are bs and harassment. If harleys can run what they do as "mufflers" then pretty much anything should be allowed.
"Loud pipes save lives" remember?? Just like the no helmet laws that PA just passed saves lives as well :tdown:.

·
Banned
1,277 Posts
ottousmc said:
30 !! .. wtf .. then u deserve a ticket

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
totally off topic but I was pulled over for doing 1mph over the speed limit....no lie....wasnt even in the STi....

1 - 20 of 78 Posts