IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had always wanted one since the early 2000s.
Last December I bought a 2019 Hellcat. I did tons of research on cars trying to decide what to get.

Recently, I have been thinking about getting something smaller and more nimble. Specifically, I wanted to get a car to put a big spoiler on. Then it occurred to me that I could just get one with a big spoiler and the local dealership had two in stock.

Looks like i have a lot more research to do.

i think I'm going to put ~10-20k into the car.

The Cobb stage 2 kit w/ titanium exhaust, intake and tuner was recommended by a friend. I want to put on nitrous, but I'm not sure what setup people recommend. I've read there is an intake spacer w/ a wet nitrous injection port.

I want to put on a large flat carbon fiber wing. I think Seibon makes one that mounts on the stock holes. Probably a carbon fiber hood as well.

I'm interested in knowing what people feel are the best quality parts when it comes to suspension. I want to install coilovers w/ higher spring rates and drop the car a conservative amount, but I'm not sure what that amount would be.

What other chassis and suspension mods are recommended? The most I'll ever race it is autoX events.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
-Nick

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Nice and congrats on the new car. The sti is a very different from your hell cat. AWD turbo flat 4 compared to a monsterious supercharged v8 is like apples to oranges. Before you drop 20K into the car, what are your plans with it?
Is it going to be a daily driver, weekend car, track only car, ect ect. Also you should consider what kind of power you want to make with the car. Usually at 350whp and up its recommended you upgrade to a built forged internal short block to consistanly run that power safely.

For 10-20k you should really just upgrade the block to a forged short block and go for a rotated turbo kit. Of couse you will need supporting mods to go with all that.

If you dont mind me asking, why do you want to add nitrous to this car anyways?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the input.

I mentioned the Hellcat to give some perspective. I'm certainly not expecting tons of performance out of the STI.

I work from home so I don't really have a daily driver. I have 3 cars:
  • a GLE550e (stock ofc),
  • a Hellcat that is being modified next month by a tuner shop to make ~900hp,
  • The new STI which I adore

It looks like with a ceiling of 350whp, It should accommodate a 50 shot of nitrous. Why do I want nitrous?
Honestly, I mostly want the purge. It's fun AF. I used to have a nitrous spec-v which I loved before I went turbo and built it a couple times.

I really wanted an atmospheric BoV, but I understand that's problematic on this ECU. I heard a SSQV with recirc instead of atmospheric dump and it actually had some sound to it. I miss the kurpush of my spec-v.

I certainly am not opposed to building the STI. I didn't realize it had such tight a tight ceiling on power. I'm guessing there aren't crate engines available.

I'll read up on rotated turbo kits.

I certainly don't mind paying for drivetrain mods if I go that route, but the plan was intake / exhaust / nitrous and then chassis / suspension mods and cosmetics.

My use of the car is pleasure driving. If it breaks, I can have it towed and repaired, but if I can avoid that with money up front, I would prefer that. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think Nick is playin us guys... Hey Nick, show us pics or you with your rides, tell us what you do for a living that allows you to spend $100K in 6 months on cars...

·
Registered
96 Posts
The way he worded a few thing's is suspect. The amount of throw away money is high, and prior knowledge of platform was low, even though wanting one for two decade. But i'd lean on the side of him being legit.

Hellkitty/STI is a good combo. Good choice of rides depending on how you feel that day.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I forgot this is the internet where nothing can ever happen and no one can be believed even when it doesn't matter and there is no reason to lie...

Thanks for the link on the crate engines. I ran into someone who has a 2015 w/ that stage two short block. After speaking with him and considering the options I decided to "lightly modify the STI and build the Hellcat instead (400hp of nitrous :D )

Here's what I ordered for my STI:
Turbosmart duel port BOV
Cobb intake
Cobb accessport
Cobb catback (stainless)
Ohlins coilovers
Seiban OEM style CF hood
APR GTC-300 67" Carbon Fiber wing

Going to do a partial vinyl job on the car too. I just noticed yesterday that the white is a kind of pearlcoat or something. It's really quite nice looking. I'm going to wait the 8-10 weeks for the carbon to come in before deciding on vinyl work. I'm considering some thin cloud outlines in black.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The way he worded a few thing's is suspect. The amount of throw away money is high, and prior knowledge of platform was low, even though wanting one for two decade. But i'd lean on the side of him being legit.

Hellkitty/STI is a good combo. Good choice of rides depending on how you feel that day.
Like I said, it was an impulse buy. I wanted one for a while, but never looked into it.

Money is easy. Time is difficult.

I've built cars before: PimpSmurf / '05 Spec-V / Myrtle Beach, SC

·
Registered
110 Posts
To keep your motor safe, I would highly recommend the following:
  1. IAG Air/Oil Separator
  2. Hi flow fuel pump
  3. 1300 Injectors
The AOS will help keep the oil out of your combustion, which effectively lowers your octane rating, causing knock and possible blown head gasgets. The stock fuel system is close to maxed, so once you start modding, you run the risk of running lean, which again can blow the head gaskets, ringlands, or rod bearings.

Also, change oil regularly and NEVER let the oil get low. I would recommend an oil pressure gauge too.

Back in 2004 I bought my first STI on an impulse, best impulse purchase ever.

Willy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice! Thanks for the info.
I was trying to avoid doing the fuel system which is why I didn't change the down pipe.

I'll order the oil/air separator though.

Do you really think injectors and pump are needed for an intake and catback?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I hate to be the one to say this, BUT... I'd spend about $25,000 on the motor alone, or just get a closed deck IAG one.
Putting nitrous on a boxer and it not exploding, is like moving to Africa on hoping you don't get malaria.
It's just a bad idea in my opinion.

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
No, you don't need 1300cc injectors or fuel pump if you are only doing intake. But I'd be suspect of putting any aftermarket BOV or BPV on this car without custom tuning. The stock is a Bypass Valve, which recirculates. You do not want a BOV which vents to atmosphere unless you are going to have someone tune it, or Cobb tells you that you'll be find with TS BOV and an off the shelf tune.

Even if you were going to E85 and wanted to make 400 whp, you could do that with 1050 injectors and a fuel pump...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any chance there is a shop on the east coast that has experience gutting an STI for race applications?

Considering gutting, talking out the AC and audio, power windows and add a roll cage and seats+harness.
I'm guessing it might require standalone engine management to allow for dash cluster replacement.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
So you have more money than time, but you think you are going to go racing? I don’t think your lying, but man, you are all over the place.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No there is no place to race one close to me. SC has basically no enforced laws on car modifications. I'm going to drive it on the street.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Modifications start next Tuesday so I'll post progress pictures.

Here is the vinyl example the shop worked up for me.
Subaru suede steering wheel arrived yesterday.
Ordered some parts from subimods today.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 115 Posts