IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a little curious about the adjustable shift light on the tach. was it better then u though it would be? worse? can u set it anywhere? from 1K or even 8K? is it nice and bright or do u just wait to hear the tone?

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is pretty good. Wished the shift ligh was much much brighter and easier to see. Wish the buzzer was louder, too.

Sniper007 said:
just a little curious about the adjustable shift light on the tach. was it better then u though it would be? worse? can u set it anywhere? from 1K or even 8K? is it nice and bright or do u just wait to hear the tone?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the shift light/buzzer is a godsend... saved me a couple of times from actually abusing my engine during the break-in period.

Sniper007 said:
can u set it anywhere? from 1K or even 8K? is it nice and bright ...?
i'm not sure how low or high you can set the shift light...why would you wanna set it down low in 1K range?

the brightness of the light is ok...i think it has the same intensity as the overall gauge cluster when you set the display dimmer to its maximum setting...besides, i don't have to look down on the tach when i shift...that's what the shift buzzer is for :wink: ...and the buzzer is loud enough for me to notice even when i have the stereo blaring in my STi :D .

also, the buzzer is not some annoying "buzzing" sound...it's more like three little "chirps" in rapid succession...makes me feel like i'm playing the real life version of Gran Turismo :eek:

·
Registered
199 Posts
i find the shift beeper to be quite useful. i currently have it set at about 6000rpm, so if it beeps it's pretty much time to grab a gear. when i was breaking in i had it set to 3800 or so, and passengers found it annoying.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think its awesome, I do wish the beep could be louder. The entine cluster seems very bright to me which is a good thing also.

T

·
0 Posts
You guys know that the dash lights are fully adjustable as far as dimming goes right? It's on the light stick to the left. I keep mine on 5 for daytime and dim it to 4 during night time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hmmm. I am pretty sure mine doesnt chrip. Lights up yes, but doesnt chirp (or its so soft I cant hear it over the engine)

Chris

BTW, my Brother-in-law drove mine this weekend, immediately called dealers and it looks like he is going to be getting one that someone backed out on tomorrow! He is majorly stoked! ;)

T

·
0 Posts
Mine doesn't make noises as well, I thought I turned it off by accident when playing with it. It don't matter anyways because i didn't want it to make noises.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It works.

I set the alarm to 3000 rpm. That way during normal acceleration, (if there is such a thing as "normal acceleration" with this thing) my next shift comes in around 4000. If you're making an average left turn you'll be in 3rd before you straighten the wheel out!

Can't wait until 1000 miles.

Cheers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the shift light/buzzer is a great idea. I set it at 3600 for the first 1000 miles, it definitely irritated passsengers but saved the engine. Now I have it at 5K until I get to the first "scheduled" oil change when I go to synthetic. I don't understand why more cars don't have this, it seems like it would be pretty easy to include.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have mine set at 6,500. This is pretty good for 1-2 change and worthless after because there is too much delay between the sound and redline.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sorry, this maybe slightly of topic, but since I have the EVO, I don't have this awesome shift light/buzzer that you guys got. Has anyone seen a cool shift light that I can buy, that isn't obtrussive. I don't want to put this massive light on my dashboard, but would like something that could nicely "integrated" into the dash.

·
Registered
631 Posts
2004 WRX STi Academy Program CD

Nope! ;o) Should have just gotten an STi....

:eek:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
But then he would have a slower car........ :wink:

Auto Meter makes one but it might fall under obtrusive, as you say.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
wojo said:
Has anyone seen a cool shift light that I can buy, that isn't obtrussive.
one of the defi heads-up units has a shift "light" feature; kind of; you can set it up so when all the rpm leds are on, you know to shift.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My buzzer saved me to a few times. Good and loud. The shift light is small but, how many cars you know come like this? A friend ask me did i have cruiscontrolle.............no 8)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sniper007 said:
Better than I thought based on what I read. In ordinary street driving, the buzzer is loud enough to easily hear and the light is fairly visible. It is completely programmable, and you can turn the buzzer on or off.

During an autocross, I never heard the buzzer, probably due to focus. My passenger said he heard it though, so it is reasonably loud. I'd see the light in the corner of my eye. I imagine the shift light from the SECS unit would be easier to see since you could put it closer to your vision.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wojo said:
Sorry, this maybe slightly of topic, but since I have the EVO, I don't have this awesome shift light/buzzer that you guys got. Has anyone seen a cool shift light that I can buy, that isn't obtrussive. I don't want to put this massive light on my dashboard, but would like something that could nicely "integrated" into the dash.
there is somthing called "the rev light" or maybe just "rev light" its rather small, actully its kinda tiny, and its more like a progressive set of LEDs. runs about $65.

so it this stock light an LED or regular bulb? i only ask becuase if its an LED it will never need to be replaced. another thing that one of my friends said he would do if he got an STi is tap in to the power wires feeding that little shift light light, and set up another light some where else. hell set up 3 more 4 more, have the whole car light up like a christmastree! :D well u get the idea. think its possible to get behind that light?

also, does anyone have there hands on a STi repair manual yet?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts