IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sure its been asked but what is the break in for a STi? does everyone follow the break in or what?

hoping to have one soon

·
Registered
668 Posts
under 4000rpm for 1000 miles i believe is what is written.

my dealer said going up to 5000 sometimes is fine.

but lots of people come up with their own that feels good to them.

For instance, I stayed under 4000 most of the time for the first 500 miles. Raised it to 4500rpm until 750, then 5000rpm until 1000. Then 5500rpm until 1100, 6000rpm until 1200, etc.

Why did I do it this way? I have no idea...

·
Registered
347 Posts
What do you guys think about the price?

PhillyB said:
im sure its been asked but what is the break in for a STi?
oh, it's only been brought up once or twice...search, search, search...seek and ye shall find.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
this topic was beaten into the ground awhile back. look back into the older threads and you'll find pages of opinions that run anywhere between following the 1000mile/4000rpm guideline 100% to guys coming up with thier own routine.
but to answer if i followed it myself...yes. i think if i did'nt i would be dead right now. damn the STi is fast.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Break-in is important. Here is our general practice as one possible way in addition to others practices:
- city driving, varying rpm frequently
- 0-500 mi. 3500 rpm limit
- 500-650 4000 rpm limit
- 650-850 4500 rpm limit
- 850-1000 5000 rpm limit
- 1000-1300 6000 rpm limit
- 1300 Freedom!!! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so noone just drove it then huh?

i ran the hell out of my xterra from day one, lasted 40,000 and still going strong. probably a bad idea. i will be following the recommended break in procedure and try to hold it under 3500 for the first 1,000.

well i like this forum. i purposely didnt search for the answer just to see if id get flamed or whatever like some other lesser forums. i find so many junk forums where everyone is so mean its not even funny.

thanks i will use the search from here on.

hopefully i will have a blue sti next week if everything goes through.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Welcome. Yeah, you'll like it here, it's pretty friendly. Dare I say cozy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
most of my xperience with forums is with the radio control forums - hardly any auto forums. but yea i have been surfing through - good stuffs. nothin but the best for us STI fools huh

·
Registered
347 Posts
yeah, this forum seems to strike a really nice balance between the "time-outs" and "points" over at nasioc, and the somewhat juvenile attitude at tunernetwork. glad it's around, i've learned a lot...and i have a nice new ground kit, thanks to robert!

·
Registered
33 Posts
"Juvenile Attitude" lol, I like that. I will continue to strive for our Juvenile Members to progress,lol. Just doing a search and found this post. Hope you signed up at least, haha.

·
Registered
37 Posts
PhillyB said:
so noone just drove it then huh?
I made sure to warm it up really well, then went out and broke it in (a series of long pulls at varying throttle positions to load the rings). Oil (and filter!) change before 1k, and all is well.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Some love it, some hate it. It's served me well on every new motorcycle and car I've had.

-kwantam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts