IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from page 38 of feb 2004 of MOTOR TREND, about the new 04 mitsu evo RS:

"during laps at willow springs raceway in the standard evo and the RS, we felt the RS's front end digging deeper into the pavement -- allowing it, like most race oriented cars, to exhibit slight oversteer."

hmmm. evo = no under/OVER steer = great car.

evo RS slight OVER, it's okay. in fact, "race oriented"...

STi understeer = what are they selling to people????? the humanity!!!!!! RECALL, RECALL, RECALL!!!!!!!!

:roll:

(EDITED to change under to OVER... but still)

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
i call foul! 99% of understeer is driver induced.

if they aren't getting any understeer they aren't driving fast enough or properly exploring the cars limits OR the car is just to SLOW to reach unsafe speeds in between corners. :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
ldivinag said:
from page 38 of feb 2004 of MOTOR TREND, about the new 04 mitsu evo RS:

"during laps at willow springs raceway in the standard evo and the RS, we felt the RS's front end digging deeper into the pavement -- allowing it, like most race oriented cars, to exhibit slight oversteer."

hmmm. evo = no under steer = great car.

evo RS slight under, it's okay. in fact, "race oriented"...

STi understeer = what are they selling to people????? the humanity!!!!!! RECALL, RECALL, RECALL!!!!!!!!

:roll:

Umm read that quote again..... it says "oversteer", not understeer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Put some tiebars in the front and back of the STi and a nice set of BIGGER (yeah I said bigger) sway bars on it and call it a day. Sheesh... I mean the think does way 3200lbs. Rule 1 for car makers that develop cars in other countries and bring them over here. Detune the suspention to understeer characteristics because Americans can't drive and overcorrect when they feel oversteer. If you don't belive me ask all the EVO owners that killed their cars from trying to drive fast down streets with turns. Every story I see all ends with "I lost control of the car's back end." If you ask me the EVO is too tightly tuned suspention wise. This wouldn't nessaceraly be a bad thing, but add to that a very close steering rack ratio and you're asking for tail happy/overcorrecting accidents. Take the car to a track, learn the limits of it stock. Put the DCCD in various RWD (mostly) configs and see if that helps. If not put some better suspension parts on it. The STi is still a production car. It will have it's weaknesses. Shi* you think Petra Solberg comes back to service and sais... Naawww, don't change a thing... it's perfect from the factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts